Discotheque from Elevation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What the hell is wrong with them, why do they have a phobia against playing this song!? Both this and Vertigo versions are storming; I love the synth arppeggio loop they've got going in the verses. Please let them bring this back regularly on the next tour!

What the hell is wrong with them, why do they have a phobia against playing this song!? Both this and Vertigo versions are storming; I love the synth arppeggio loop they've got going in the verses. Please let them bring this back regularly on the next tour!

Apparently Edge didn't like the Vertigo Tour version (why is beyond me), and he had it dropped. Not sure about Elevation.

The guitar intro to Discotheque on Elevation Tour makes the hairs on my neck stand up...:cute:

I love the synth arppeggio loop they've got going in the verses.
Me too, it is late-90s retro.

I always like the Staring At The Sun maxi-snippet as well.

i dont think this song has ever worked live. From all the versions i heard, i would have to say the song peaked on Pomart tour

Not really into the elevation version (although it's funky in it's own way) but the Vertigo version was the best they did.

If the rumour really is true about the edge not liking it and deciding to cut it off then he made a major mistake in my eyes.

I don't know why they got rid of the "Boom Cha" parts when they did on the Elevation tour.

The Boom Cha's MADE Discotheque.

The good thing is... the long searched Toronto IV bootleg has surfaced. It's an earpiece recording that's far from perfect, but Discotheque sounds just fine. And it's a great version. It's on U2start.com.

The good thing is... the long searched Toronto IV bootleg has surfaced. It's an earpiece recording that's far from perfect, but Discotheque sounds just fine. And it's a great version.

Where could one hear this? :hmm::sexywink:

The Toronto IV Discotheque is amazing... kind of sounds like they rolled out of bed and tried to play the Elevation version, but with a bunch of changes (especially on Bono's part). Might even beat Chicago (and it's definitely better in audio quality). I love the Relax snippet.

The Toronto IV Discotheque is amazing... kind of sounds like they rolled out of bed and tried to play the Elevation version, but with a bunch of changes (especially on Bono's part). Might even beat Chicago (and it's definitely better in audio quality). I love the Relax snippet.

I agree. Bono does these annoying whoo-hoo's in the Chicago version that are thankfully absent here. Definitely one of Vertigo's highlights; why they decided to drop it (and replace it with a tedious acoustic encore) is beyond me.

I agree. Bono does these annoying whoo-hoo's in the Chicago version that are thankfully absent here. Definitely one of Vertigo's highlights; why they decided to drop it (and replace it with a tedious acoustic encore) is beyond me.

Its odd that they decided to drop it. They continued to work on it beyond Chicago and had it down. Bono was excited about it, Edge was not for some reason. The rumor is Edge didn't think it worked and didn't want to play it anymore. :shrug: Bono doesn't always win! ;) Unfortunately in this case.

The Toronto IV Discotheque is amazing... kind of sounds like they rolled out of bed and tried to play the Elevation version, but with a bunch of changes (especially on Bono's part).

I always thought it just sounded like a cross of Popmart and Elevation versions.

This song progressed just like the Fly. Different kind of song for U2, even within their respective albums. The Fly was great originally on Zoo TV, but something was lacking and you could tell they were still trying to get it down live. Elevation re worked version was slightly better, with the extended outro, but the backing vocals by Edge were missing and the pace was slowed down a little too much for my liking. On Vertigo, they absolutely nailed the song, with the highlights being Chicago DVD, U23D and pretty much all 2006 versions with the even longer outros extended by Larry.

Same with Discoteque, it has had 3 tours just like the Fly(the fly took popmart off as we know). Still getting it down on Popmart, the lemon was a little cheesy and took away from the song, but it was very well done with a ton of interesting snippets. Elevation tour also good, slightly refined, but also stripped down. Again, nailed it on the Vertigo tour, and it really is too bad they dropped it!

I got the acoustic encore in Boston and it was somewhat of a letdown, though it did make me reexamine and now love stuck. I know for a fact that I would have preferred zoo st-fly-wowy, discot,fly,wowy or fly,until the end, mw or something along the Zoo TV lines as we are all familiar with.

I was there. It was dance music. I bopped. Thanks for hooking us up on that boot, it's been a long wait.

Incidentally, anyone who ever ever questions whether or not Bono plays guitar for real, after listening to this bootleg, should leave this forum in shame, forever. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom