Did Daniel Lanois' preferred version of "Walk On" ever come out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muldfeld

Refugee
Dear U2 fans,

I remember around the time "All That You Can't" came out, a print interview asked Lanois if there were any reservations about the album, and the one thing he regretted was the version U2 used for "Walk On".

Was that version the single version that got rid of the awful guitar solo, had a nice piano part, and the "halle, halle" at the end? The one thing I really miss from the album version is the ending after the guitar solo; there's a nice build up and lyrics to it.
I think this was it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC7_02OkEjE

Anyway, was Lanois' preferred version ever released?

Thanks in advance.

:shrug: It can't be the single version because that was made in 2001, after the album was finished. The version had to be something they had ready by ATYCLB release in 2000. Maybe Lanois was talking about Home (This bird has flown) ?

The "Hybrid Mix' that manages 2 combine the best elements of a few versions is the ultimate version, imo.

The "Hybrid Mix' that manages 2 combine the best elements of a few versions is the ultimate version, imo.

Oh wow, I didn't even think that my Hybrid Mix was even remembered by any one. I did such a hacky job of pasting together portions of the Mike Hedges Mix and the Album Version and that was like 3 years ago.

I disagree with the removal of the solo and the song's bridge. Even if you don't like the solo, you have to admit the "Home... hard to know...." portion of the song is really the emotional linchpin of the entire song. By removing it after the second chorus and going right to the Hallelujah's, you're simply cutting out the emotional swelling of the song to water it down to a radio-friendly digestable format, which is blasphemy, in my opinion.

Now, if they had kept that part of the song in the Single Version, you have a winner.

I disagree with the removal of the solo and the song's bridge. Even if you don't like the solo, you have to admit the "Home... hard to know...." portion of the song is really the emotional linchpin of the entire song. By removing it after the second chorus and going right to the Hallelujah's, you're simply cutting out the emotional swelling of the song to water it down to a radio-friendly digestable format, which is blasphemy, in my opinion.

YES. Always preferred the album version for this very reason.

Oh wow, I didn't even think that my Hybrid Mix was even remembered by any one. I did such a hacky job of pasting together portions of the Mike Hedges Mix and the Album Version and that was like 3 years ago.

Now, if they had kept that part of the song in the Single Version, you have a winner.
I agree with everything you said, but the guitar solo, which I've always found dull even before I turned against ATYCLB.

Was the Mike Hedges mix the youtube clip I posted above?

:shrug: It can't be the single version because that was made in 2001, after the album was finished. The version had to be something they had ready by ATYCLB release in 2000. Maybe Lanois was talking about Home (This bird has flown) ?

Well, my sense is that it was only released in 2001, but it could have been recorded earlier and just saved until the single release, right?

What is this "Home" of which you speak? I can't find it on itunes.

Home was a song that merged with another to become Walk On during the ATYCLB sessions, I believe. It's where that whole "Hooooooooome...etc." part near the end comes from, apparently.

yeah...lanois version never came out...walk on was the combo of two songs...home and something else

yeah...lanois version never came out...walk on was the combo of two songs...home and something else

Oh, so Lanois' version of "Walk On" was really something called "Home" that was then combined with something else?

Sad to know it's never come out.

Thanks, everybody.

Dear U2 fans,

I remember around the time "All That You Can't" came out, a print interview asked Lanois if there were any reservations about the album, and the one thing he regretted was the version U2 used for "Walk On".

Was that version the single version that got rid of the awful guitar solo, had a nice piano part, and the "halle, halle" at the end? The one thing I really miss from the album version is the ending after the guitar solo; there's a nice build up and lyrics to it.
I think this was it:
YouTube - Walk On (Hallelujah Mix) - U2

Thanks in advance.
I've never heard the version before that you posted in the youtube clip. Anybody know what it is, and better yet, anybody have an audio file of it?

Also I realize the description says from U2 7, but my version I have sounds different? Maybe I haven't listened to it in awhile.

It's the single mix from U2 7

Oh crap. I wasn't a big collector back then, as I didn't have the funds; I don't know what U2 7 is, and assumed you didn't have it.

Oh, well, if someone else wants it then. Here's the wave file

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, so Lanois' version of "Walk On" was really something called "Home" that was then combined with something else?

Sad to know it's never come out.

Thanks, everybody.

i suspect that it is so....in propoganda, the track home was listed on the white board and edge spoke of it as a real 'beautiful uplifting tune'

Dear U2 fans,

I think this was it:
YouTube - Walk On (Hallelujah Mix) - U2

Thanks in advance.

Did Michael Bay direct this video? whats with all the slow motion walking?

Oh crap. I wasn't a big collector back then, as I didn't have the funds; I don't know what U2 7 is, and assumed you didn't have it.

Oh, well, if someone else wants it then. Here's the wave file

Oh, sorry. I forgot this site censors the name. It's send space without the space in-between!

Last edited by a moderator:
i suspect that it is so....in propoganda, the track home was listed on the white board and edge spoke of it as a real 'beautiful uplifting tune'

It's odd that the band released "Always" which was very much an alternate take on "Beautiful Day" (showing they don't mind similar b-sides) and released "Summer Rain" which was just okay.

I guess The Edge's comments were made during the making of the album and then the band decided "Walk On" was superior. Odd that it never released "Home", though.

"Summer Rain" which was just okay.

I love Summer Rain. Fits perfectly with the other themes of home and dealing with change on the album proper. It works a lot better than, say, Wild Honey, another bouncy, (largely) acoustic song because it deals with hitting middle age and possible irrelevancy more bravely than the rest of the album dared to.

That being said, I'm not sure I like this hallelujah version of Walk On. Sounds like the song if it was re-recorded for Bomb. It's missing the spoken intro, Bono sounds scratchier (if possible) and more like he's singing through his nose. The guitar is also a little too indistinct for my tastes. Minor quibbles though, I appreciate the link Muldfeld.
Is there anyone besides me that enjoyed the tone of Bono's voice on ATYCLB more than the the one he employed on Bomb? It's a lot less grating in my eyes (ears).

I love Summer Rain. Fits perfectly with the other themes of home and dealing with change on the album proper. It works a lot better than, say, Wild Honey, another bouncy, (largely) acoustic song because it deals with hitting middle age and possible irrelevancy more bravely than the rest of the album dared to.

That being said, I'm not sure I like this hallelujah version of Walk On. Sounds like the song if it was re-recorded for Bomb. It's missing the spoken intro, Bono sounds scratchier (if possible) and more like he's singing through his nose. The guitar is also a little too indistinct for my tastes. Minor quibbles though, I appreciate the link Muldfeld.
Is there anyone besides me that enjoyed the tone of Bono's voice on ATYCLB more than the the one he employed on Bomb? It's a lot less grating in my eyes (ears).

You're welcome.

I guess I just really liked the exclusion of the guitar solo and the "hale, hale" at the end, but I would have liked the album version's ending post-guitar solo preserved.

YES. Always preferred the album version for this very reason.

Now THIS is why I like this forum sometimes! :wink: agree with every word.

Yeah! I loved how Bono sounded on ATYCLB!

Except for on 'In a Little While' - It sounds like Bono smoked an entire carton of cigarettes backwards, drank some tequila, chased it with some hot sauce, ate a pound of peanut butter and finished it off with smoking a roman candle. Why even bother using a take like that? Sounded great live though!

Anyway- I think he sounds pretty bad on 'Bomb. He strained for every note. Even the low ones.

But then he sounded obnoxiously great on the Vertigo tour. As far as tone AND range. '05-'06 was I think the best B has ever sounded.

Why so bad on the album?!

WTF was up with that video and all the ripping of clothes going on towards the end?

Also, Bono's voice on that one just reminds me of his voice on most of the Elevation tour... :yuck:

Back
Top Bottom