Did Bono really say this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a 1992 NME interview, Rollins called Bono, "the most pompous, pretentious, unbelievably crass guy I have ever encountered in music."

"Look at a group like U2. Bono and his band are so egocentric. The more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music."
George Harrison

Bono blurted to the press something Dylan told him in confidence.

You're still not getting my point.

Rollins nor Harrison are commenting on Bono due to PERSONAL dealings, it wasn't based on any face to face meeting they had. Which is what the quote was referring to when you started all this.

"Egocentric", "pretentious", "pompous"... show me any celebrity that hasn't had this said about them.

You're truly missing the point.

As far as the Dylan story, that's new to me, and you're being very vague so I have no clue as to how much weight it carrys or if it's like the Red Rocks story which you completely botched the details. :shrug:

Henry Rollins and Liam Gallagher (actually Oasis was opening for U2 on Popmart) are credible "Bono is an asshole" sources ? Since when ? The holy trinity is only missing Ian McCulloch...

And UTEOTW should give you a clue how much Dylan hated U2 and Bono.

its not nice to ignore a greeter nor is it nice to treat woman as dirt so I guess we are even.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember she was an absolute insider during the JT tour and even lived at Bono's home for a period!!

Yes, and that makes it even worse.:|

U2 were totally right to sue.

And, oh yes, the opinion of low lives such as Gallagher and Rollins who probably hate themselves more than anyone else is certainly representing the majority of people and are worth more than 1000s of people who actually know Bono and say different things about the man.

You're right, Bono's an ass, I'm convinced now. Get out of my life, Bono. :down:

Bono's been chewed out by Bob Dylan at least 3 times that is publically known.

I flatly deny this unless you have a creditable source (which you don't) or unless Dylan has said something on record (which he hasn't).

In Dylan's autobiography (in about 2003 or 2004), he writes about hanging out with Bono at his (Dylan's) house in 1987, and he has high praise for Bono.

As for the photo thing -- why would they be photographed together, unless they were on stage together?

Bono wrote and produced this song. For Roy Obrbison. I have the cd. It is one of my favorites from Roy's Mystery Girl.

I could be wrong, but I believe the song is credited to Bono & Edge both.

It is credited to both (as David Evans and Paul Hewson in fact). Though I do remember in an interview Bono telling the story about he came up with the song himself and brought it to the band, so Edge probably helped it along after the initial idea. Bono also plays guitars on Roy's recording, as well as being producer.

I don't think anyone in here think Bono or anyone else in the band is an actual saint. But you have to admit that for as many asshole rock stars there are out there it's nice to have one that doesn't have a reputation for being a jerk. In fact there are even stories out there about people who were vocal about not liking U2 but admitting that Bono was very charming in person. Hell even Henry Rollins praised Bono's work in Africa and he's probably Bono's most vocal hater...

Neil Tennant used to slag off U2 as much as anyone in the 1980s but when he finally met Bono in Elton John's house years later he said they got on fine, considering all the things Neil had said in public about U2's music.

It's over 7 years old.....from Blabbermouth

HENRY ROLLINS Questions Timing Of U2 Singer BONO's Activism - Jan. 8, 2003
Punk rock icon Henry Rollins recently questioned U2 activist frontman Bono's motives in getting involved in so many causes, implying in no uncertain terms that the Irish singer may be using his high-profile involvement in politics to promote the group's current "greatest hits" album.

"I think if the guy is doing something, it's better than nothing — but I just wonder if he's following through," the ex-BLACK FLAG frontman told Britain's Sunday Mirror.

Although Rollins is in no way a U2 fan, he respects Bono's convictions. "I hate this guy's music, but I like the idea of absolving Third World debt, because otherwise these people are going to die," he said. "So if he's using all that rock-star power, well, right on. Like he's Mr. Africa Third World Debt Guy, which is a huge issue, but now, he's Mr. AIDS Guy. Well, wait a minute, how did you go from Third World debt to AIDS?"

Rollins is skeptical about the timing of the activism as well, suggesting to the Mirror, "Is this a crusade or really good promo for U2's new 'Greatest Hits' album? I have to think his heart's in the right place. I think he's a boring singer, but I don't think he's a bad man."

Obviously, Henry Rollins has no idea about the Africa issue or about Bono and his motivations.

1.)Where was he when Bono was writing songs about seeing war, grinding poverty and drug addiction up close in Dublin? Where was he when Bono was helping a great amount with Band Aid, Live Aid and taking service trips to Ethiopia with Ali? Bono always cared about these issues, and it comes from having grown up in a very different Ireland than we see today and from having a difficult life in general(mother dying tragically).

What does Henry Rollins not understand about the undebatable fact that after Joshua Tree, U2 could have all retired to the south of France and just counted money for the rest of their lives on the beach?

Why the hell would Bono need to be doing activism to sell records in 2003??? 150 million career to that point wasn't enough? ATYCLB's 10 million and Elevation's 100% sell outs wasn't enough? U2 was irrelevant? What completely flopped for U2 in the early 2000s that I somehow missed that would require a massive publicity campaign and Bono good will tour to get U2 back in the game?

Even if it was 1980 and U2 were unknown, their strategy of sending demos to DJ's until they catch on with someone is a lot more efficient and less expensive/time consuming than going to Africa in hopes the media picks up on it and people say "what a good guy, I'll buy his album!"

It pisses me off when people like Rollins make these suggestions because Bono gives a lot of his own personal time and money to the causes he believes in. He'll spend weeks at a time in Africa, working with Red, working with Edun, speaking at events, meeting with world leaders, following through, etc. He doesn't have to do any of this. It affected his energy level a lot during Elevation, when it was show nights 1, 2 and 3 and then Drop The Debt events nights 4 and 5 then maybe day 6 off only to do another show on day 7.

This is just such elementary stupid stuff its not worth even thinking about. Either you like an album enough to buy it or you don't. Unless the artist is an ax murderer, the public at large doesn't take into much consideration what they do in their time off.

2.)Rollins clearly has no understanding of even the most basic concepts of Africa issue. He was "drop the debt" and that was great, and now he's all about AIDS and that is opportunism. The two issues are interconnected, as is every other issue of poverty in Africa- lack of education leads to lack of contraception use, increases aids, people are sick and unproductive and therefore poor, they're poor they can't get clean water, they don't have clean water they get sick again, etc.

What did he think, that debt on a ledger was going to kill all of these people by itself, just because the ink looks so menacing? It was what the countries were going to do with this money instead of owe it out to bad lenders that would save lives: AIDS prevention, clean water, bug nets, education, etc. All of which Bono is deeply involved in. (DATA, debt, aids, trade) AIDS is one of the biggest killers, and much of the dropped debt has been plowed into effectively reducing AIDS deaths. I just can't get over how ignorant a comment that was by Rollins! What did he think, the African countries were going to have a party with the dropped debt, and that would make everyone happy and then happy people don't get sick or kill eachother, hell they may even forget they are poor and forget to die?

Bono always saw this as interconnected, and even more so after he sat down with economists like Jeffrey Sachs and others to get a detailed explanation of how this stuff works. So its not like Bono is just "using his rock star face" like Rollins claims, he actually educates himself on the issues and is viewed as a credible voice by many, many experts.

As for the comments that some experts think what Bono is doing is counterproductive, it is an illusion they have. Because the FACTS do in fact show that what Bono advocates for, probably more notably than anyone else in the world, works and gets results. The money that has flowed as a result of the millennium development goals is unlocked by politicians. Many of these politicians who control this money have personally attested to being pleaded with by cabinet members, citizens, economists, health professors, religious, etc and not being quite swayed and then meeting with Bono and being 100% convinced by his arguments. So who do we trust more? Some "experts," many of whom have their own agenda and take issue primarily with the fact that Bono also defends capitalism, or world leaders of all political stripes who control the money and have attested to Bono's effectiveness?

BVS is quite right. Bono is not a saint nor is anyone on this Earth save a very few people. However, I have yet to see any negative thing about him as a person(like, I met him and he's a total jerk) turn out to be factually accurate. Just unsubstantiated 2nd or 3rd hand rumors. I'll go with what everyone else in the world says on this one. The negative things that Gallagher or Mcullough say are plain and simple jealousy. Its not too hard to tell that Oasis and Echo wished to be as big as U2 and somehow feel they belong there with them. The negative things that people like Rollins say about Africa are just plain stupid and uninformed.

As for Rollins, he's just an idiot. What he said proves as much.

Thank you. I didn't know that. It is a very good song and Roy's voice is perfect for it. I have trouble reading very small print, even with glasses.

On the back of the cd. Bono is given credit for producer. I think he did a great job!

Yes, and that makes it even worse.:|

U2 were totally right to sue.

And, oh yes, the opinion of low lives such as Gallagher and Rollins who probably hate themselves more than anyone else is certainly representing the majority of people and are worth more than 1000s of people who actually know Bono and say different things about the man.

You're right, Bono's an ass, I'm convinced now. Get out of my life, Bono. :down:

Plus, it is unprofessional to "slam" another musician to get your name in the news. The music should always speak for itself. I have never heard of Bono slamming or using vulgar language towards anyone. As Liam Gallagher has done to him.

^ So true. One thing I like about U2 is that they have enough respect of other artists not to bash them in public. I think it's absolutely rude and immature behaviour to do that.

I have never heard of Bono slamming or using vulgar language towards anyone. As Liam Gallagher has done to him.

Well, if you know anything about Noel and Liam Gallagher, you'll know not to take seriously anything they say (you certainly can't take their songs' lyrics seriously, as they make no sense).

The "hard man" posing thing is sort-of normal in certain parts of the UK. There's a hilarious YouTube Clip where Tom Jones talks about the first time he met John Lennon, while preparing for a live appearance, sharing a stage with The Beatles. Lennon saw him from a distance, starting mimicing his singing, and announced, "Tom Jones, you welsh poof!" Whereupon Tom Jones yelled, "You scouse bastard!" Then they became friends.

randomness does not exist the master plan comes out of the sky that is why Im not a troll Im Bonos best friend..LOL

I never understood George Harrison's bashing of U2.

In one press release, he's debasin U2 saying that despite how big they are, they will never be as big as the Beatles were. The next press release, he's putting U2 in with the likes of the Spice Girls as being "flash in the pans" and readily forgotten. This latter comment was stated in 1997/8, a full 10 years after the JT era. In other words, U2 were hardly some one-hit wonders by that time.

Harrison forgets that while the Beatles were indeed huge in 1964, by 1965, even they were having trouble selling out shows. This, combined with other issues, had them stop touring. As a result, they were able to focus just on the music and created tons of great stuff.

U2, on the other hand, have had enormous success in the studio and on the road. PopMart gets bashed, but the first leg of the tour - in the U.S. - did sell out. Europe sold out. The fourth leg in other parts of the world sold out. The only part that had some difficulty was in the 3rd leg, when U2 hit smaller markets in the U.S. But barring that one blip, U2's tours have been huge.

Was this success part of Harrison's disparaging comments?

Harrison, post-Beatles, seemed to complain a lot. Even with the Beatles, he complained (not enough songs with him as the lead singer, not enough of his songs recorded, etc.). So I'm not sure what Harrison's comments were really about. Was Harrison jealous of U2's sustained success? Did he feel that they were egotistical or fake (and if so, what did he REALLY think of Lennon and Ono?)? Did Harrison have something against the Irish or did he simply not like U2's music? We'll never know what Lennon might have thought about U2, but clearly McCartney considers them colleagues, and that's pretty good by my standards.

As for Henry Rollins, I lost all respect for him when he would do just about anything to be on TV or in a movie. Despite his hatred of U2, he'd even introduce them with glowing comments. That tells me that he was in it for the attention.

^ So true. One thing I like about U2 is that they have enough respect of other artists not to bash them in public. I think it's absolutely rude and immature behaviour to do that.

I do too., LU. It is childish. Unless, the ones involved are good friends and it is only meant in good humored jest.

A true artist is comfortable with their own style. And appreciates, respects, what they learn from others.

I don't think I've ever heard any U2 members seriously slam anyone.

Well actually there was that time Bono called Chris Martin a wanker, if I'm correct. But he apologized for it, and besides, Chris Martin really is a wanker. :wink:

I never understood George Harrison's bashing of U2.

In one press release, he's debasin U2 saying that despite how big they are, they will never be as big as the Beatles were. The next press release, he's putting U2 in with the likes of the Spice Girls as being "flash in the pans" and readily forgotten. This latter comment was stated in 1997/8, a full 10 years after the JT era. In other words, U2 were hardly some one-hit wonders by that time.

Harrison forgets that while the Beatles were indeed huge in 1964, by 1965, even they were having trouble selling out shows. This, combined with other issues, had them stop touring. As a result, they were able to focus just on the music and created tons of great stuff.

U2, on the other hand, have had enormous success in the studio and on the road. PopMart gets bashed, but the first leg of the tour - in the U.S. - did sell out. Europe sold out. The fourth leg in other parts of the world sold out. The only part that had some difficulty was in the 3rd leg, when U2 hit smaller markets in the U.S. But barring that one blip, U2's tours have been huge.

Was this success part of Harrison's disparaging comments?

Harrison, post-Beatles, seemed to complain a lot. Even with the Beatles, he complained (not enough songs with him as the lead singer, not enough of his songs recorded, etc.). So I'm not sure what Harrison's comments were really about. Was Harrison jealous of U2's sustained success? Did he feel that they were egotistical or fake (and if so, what did he REALLY think of Lennon and Ono?)? Did Harrison have something against the Irish or did he simply not like U2's music? We'll never know what Lennon might have thought about U2, but clearly McCartney considers them colleagues, and that's pretty good by my standards.

As for Henry Rollins, I lost all respect for him when he would do just about anything to be on TV or in a movie. Despite his hatred of U2, he'd even introduce them with glowing comments. That tells me that he was in it for the attention.

George was doing too many drugs.

Everyone is free to discount what I am going to say, after all, I was born in 1987.

The Beatles as a group never impressed me. Surely, they have some great, great stuff, but as you said, its mostly album and they were as egotistical as it comes, hence the break up. I am quite sick of the whole "Beatles invented rock and roll" mentality that is everywhere these days(what about 50s rock, what about the blues and the African American rhythm culture, what about Elvis, I could go on). They are nowhere near as sustainably great as U2, I don't care what record sales say. I hate to sound so cold, but death is a career move, and Lennon's tragic death accounts for a lot of their status.

George, I discount him based on his U2 comments. He has no business calling Bono egotistical when he is in a band that broke up after 6 years in the limelight.

John was a good guy, very talented, good vision, etc, but he is made out to be a god. What did he ever get done for the world? Alone its a tough question to answer, never mind when compared to the results Bono has gotten. He became a drug fueled hippie and married Yoko Ono, he was obviously not of sound mind, no offense to Yoko's fans here.

I have worked concert security for 5 years now in Boston and I've seen Ringo and Paul McCartney in their separate shows.

Ringo does the "Starr and his All Star band" show, which is Ringo and a bunch of other hits makers from the 60s and 70s together. Ringo does his own stuff, they do theirs, Ringo sings, plays drums, overall good show and enjoyable night. Not bad in the least, in fact, good as I said, but in the grand scheme of shows I have seen, it wont be one on my top memories list.

Paul McCartney is just unbelievable. In terms of shows, I only put U2 and Bruce in the same league(not the same ballpark, though:wink:). I saw both of his shows at Fenway Park last year and he was just incredible. 30 songs, mostly Beatles hits, really awesome show. He sounds the same, hell, he looks the same, and he has a ton of fun doing what he is doing. You can tell he loves it and he is doing it for the right reasons.

This is a bold statement, especially for a 23 yr old who's mother was only 10 when the Beatles first broke out in America, but I truly and honestly think McCartney carried that group. I don't think I'd have any desire to make a time machine and go back to 1964 after seeing McCartney. I am pretty damn confident the show I saw in 2009 could not have been topped by the Beatles as a group. It was that good.

John was a good guy, very talented, good vision, etc, but he is made out to be a god. What did he ever get done for the world?

Changing the way people think about and view the world? I'd say that's good enough.

I'm afraid I will have to respectfully disagree with most of the points you make, as much as I love U2 and they mean much more to me than The Beatles, they haven't had nearly as much cultural or musical impact as The Beatles, in fact I don't think any band has and certainly never will have again.

Back
Top Bottom