Did ATYCLB leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I'm curious to know if ATYCLB leaked and if that thread exists or not. :shifty: I want to see the initial fan reactions. :corn: The oldest listed thread in the archive only goes back to August 2001 or so. But I found this thread using the Wayback Machine:

Dates For New Single and Album!!! - U2 Feedback

Where are all the year 2000 threads? The nostalgia bug has bitten me today.

I think so...the first thread I posted in was discussing the 30 second clips of ATYCLB songs.

I think so...the first thread I posted in was discussing the 30 second clips of ATYCLB songs.

Oh wow! How were the fan reactions? Were they as insane as those with the Bomb? *cough*Axver*cough* ;) or were they more like "WTF??? Is this even U2? What happened to the experimentation? Oh noez!!!1 :scream:"

Yup, it leaked. I downloaded it early via U2log.

:ohmy: Got any links to threads from the time? Interference or even other sites?

Sadly due to the server transfer last may a lot of the posts from the early days were lost. There's a big gap somewhere in... 2004 or 2005 I think too.

I'd like to add to this thread, with my sig. :wink:

I wasn't a fan back then so I can't give you any more info sadly.

I'm curious to know if ATYCLB leaked and if that thread exists or not. :shifty: I want to see the initial fan reactions. :corn: The oldest listed thread in the archive only goes back to August 2001 or so. But I found this thread using the Wayback Machine:

Dates For New Single and Album!!! - U2 Feedback

Where are all the year 2000 threads? The nostalgia bug has bitten me today.

I'm pretty sure that most of the threads from that period are long gone. I believe you can go as far back as 2001, but that's it.

Funny seeing Michael Griffiths, Salome, and Blue Room posting in that thread you dug up. I imagine the HTDAAB leak thread will be looked upon like a fly in amber years down the line.

:ohmy: Got any links to threads from the time? Interference or even other sites?

ATYCLB Wannit? — U2LOG.COM — U2 weblog, U2 news, U2 links, U2 live

U2log has every blog post from the beginning (July 2000) to the present. I guess October 13, 2000 was the day I downloaded it (ah, memories!). Sadly they turned the comments off.

I started posting on interference - under the name "Lemonphix"- in December 2000 (and I was lurking a few months earlier). I honestly don't recall what interferencers thought of ATYCLB right at the beginning, I did read U2 forum at Rollingstone.com, though. The reviews were mostly positive, though there were a few people who thought it was crap and that POP was a rock masterpiece. I went over to the RS website and they have totally changed their forums (no longer artist specific) so I can't supply you with a link. :sad:

I remember when it leaked and remember watching forums on U2log. People were freaking out because of the guitar riff in Beautiful Day - some bad, some good. That one riff was standing out because we hadn't heard it in a while. I remember everyone using the term "U2ish" when describing that song. The return of the "U2ish sound"...THANK GOD! Some were saying they sold out (again...and again...and again) and had to go back to their old sound to make money again. The rest of us, although loving the new sound, just loved a return of the Edge and his chimes and echo.

I also remember a fuss over Wild Honey. People felt the band was blatantly copying the Beatles. That was fun...comparing the two bands. Good times.

I remember the full version of BD being on the front page of Interference.

My, how times have changed.

I don't specifically remember when or where ATYCLB leaked (U2log, youtwo.net, interference and atu2 were the sites I visited back then), but I do remember the 30 second clips being "leaked" by U2.com.

Well, what I mean is all you had to do was replace the song title in BeautifulDay.html with each song title and voila!

And they had a schedule of when each 30 sec clip was going to be released (like two a week? help me out here people) but we got them all soon after Beautiful Day was posted.

It definitely leaked a couple weeks before the release date, which I believe was Halloween or Nov. 1. I also remember the track order being a little different than when the CD officially came out. I think Elevation was #2, Peace on Earth was before Kite, and New York was quite a bit earlier as well.

I think "Elevation" was the opener in the initial track list...definitely a last minute rearrangement for the better. I know I've seen the old track list and I think it was posted on U2.com even....

I think the first 4 in the leaked version was 1. Beautiful Day 2. Elevation 3. Walk on 4. Stuck in a moment.

The 30 second clips were available via U2.com. Their goal was to release one at a time over a period of days (or weeks). However, one fan (here on Interference), just decided to try to see if there were clips for other songs. Basically he substituted the names for the other songs in the URL and immediately found them.

So we all had the 30 second clips early. Some fans complained that we "broke the code" and shouldn't be doing that. Others stated that if U2 really wanted to hide these clips, they wouldn't have made "hiding" them so painfully obvious.

The 30 second clips, IMO, were worse than the 30 second clips we heard from NLOTH. I say "worse" because they gave false impressions of many songs. We heard the last 30 seconds of BD, clearly not representative of the song. While I still love "Wild Honey", many fans do not. However, based on the 30 second clips, fans were going crazy for that song.

The album did leak early, but I refused to listen to all of it. I downloaded some songs and had fun, but wanted to save some for the actual CD release. I definitely recall saving "Walk On" for the album's release. :yes:

In contrast, when HTDAAB was released weeks early, I burned a CD and enjoyed it tremendously. I recall giving CD's of that leak to friends as well (followed by the real CD later - don't worry, U2 more than get their $$ from me).

I think the first 4 in the leaked version was 1. Beautiful Day 2. Elevation 3. Walk on 4. Stuck in a moment.

I believe this is correct. This version was on U2.com, but changed very last minute. Some fans felt this track-listing would have worked better.

Yeah, I remember getting the 30 second clip of Beautiful Day and then coming here and finding out how to get the rest of the clips...LOL. I think I still have those clips somewhere...:yes:

And I remember downloading ATYCLB about a week before the album came out...and I listened to a few tracks...but I didn't want to spoil the album...and I did the same thing with HTDAAB and NLOTH...I had the songs early, but I haven't listened to all the songs all the way through...:D

I don't remember reaction to ATYCLB, like I do with HTDAAB...but I do remember the Wild Honey hub-bub...:lol:

Good times...:up:

Oh wow! How were the fan reactions? Were they as insane as those with the Bomb? *cough*Axver*cough* ;) or were they more like "WTF??? Is this even U2? What happened to the experimentation? Oh noez!!!1 :scream:"

Mostly positive, same as Bomb or NLOTH leaks.

Lets see this... :hyper:

:lmao: Oh god, reading that was absolute gold, especially shaun vox and Axver. :lmao:

Short version of the post my computer just froze and ate:

There was a big server crash in 2000 that ate a lot of postcounts, and probably posts as well. I'm pretty sure I joined before the date shown under my avatar.
<---

I think I was being an album virgin back then too. Don't remember anything specific about fan reaction, just the usual excitement and general positivity.

Lets see this... :hyper:

:lmao: Oh god, reading that was absolute gold, especially shaun vox and Axver. :lmao:

I swear, every time I'm sad or down, I read that thread.

It NEVER will fail to make me laugh! :love:

Ax was such an innocent little fanboy back then, my how he's grown up. :cute:

This is for the HTDAAB release.

I don't know if Interference's archives go back to 2000.

Interference existed since 1996. This site became famous early on due to the leak of "Discotheque" back in December of 1996! Joel told me the story once stating he didn't realize that the song was not officially out yet when he obtained it. Back in those days, we used dial-ups and there were no mp3's. So we downloaded wav files. :applaud:

Bottom line, songs have been leaking since almost the mid-90's!

Back
Top Bottom