Depeche Mode "So Cruel" cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
"We first heard Achtung Baby working on Songs Of Faith And Devotion with Flood. It was the closest our bands ever got: U2 had become more electronic while Depeche Mode were working on a new rock vision. But there was never a rivalry. Bono used reverse psychology in his email, saying he totally understood why we'd say no. We just thought, Why not? So Cruel is Bono at his best, words-wise. And we couldn't tackle One - that would be almost sacrilegious" Martin Gore

Depeche Mode So Cruel "U2 Cover" - YouTube

Doesn't differentiate too much from the original, but it's pretty good. Dave Gahan definitely pulled off the vocal too!

And we couldn't tackle One - that would be almost sacrilegious.

They were offered to do One ? Too bad. Would have been more interesting than Rice.

The best cover together with Nine inch nails and Glasvegas.

The best cover together with Nine inch nails and Glasvegas.

This.

I re-listened to the cover of So Cruel yesterday along with a bunch of other Depeche Mode. It's a pretty good cover. I feel like most of the other songs in the cover album were borderline mediocre, but this deviated enough from the original in that it sounded like the covering band, that I enjoyed it.

LuckyNumber7 said:
In my opinion, the best cover on the album. One of my favorite U2 covers that I've heard, really.

Yes, definitely agree. Such a great cover DM did. Dave Gahan's voice is great as always, perfect for So Cruel.

Listening to this cover right now. Love it!

Heard this cover a few days back when YouTube recommended it to me. Quite nice! I like how DM have given it their own touch. And I like how Dave sings "they pahs right thru ya like a ghost..." :wink:

Trent Reznor/NIN and Depeche Mode covers where the best. I can't remember Martin Gore making that statement. Is it in the album booklet? Thanks for posting anyway.

Jack White's LIB cover is great, but it never gives me as much of a feeling as the original and the above one's do.

And hell yeah, Dave Gahan even mastered Bongolese. Fuck this thread is old..

Depeche Mode are a band i have always distanced myself from...as their music used to creep me out. But since i have gone thro my musical moment of clarity, i know find myself craving all sorts of music...and so............im going to be investigating Depeche mode more over the coming weeks and months. Who knows...if I like them..i might well look at picking the up on vinyl.
Anyhoo....as far as the cover of So Cruel goes...i happen to like it. I think DM did a good job

Back
Top Bottom