Deluxe vs. Deluxe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
Lots of talk about the Uber and Super Deluxe and the Vinyl - time for some on the Deluxe. :up:

I know some people bought the Deluxe AB while waiting for their Uber or Super Deluxe AB's. But a question arose.

Amazon.com shows the Deluxe to be a 2 CD set:

http://www.amazon.com/Achtung-Baby-2-CD-Deluxe/dp/B005EYP8PO

This sells for $20.99 (U.S.).

However, U2.com has a $29.99 version of the Deluxe set. Per the description, it states that this version comes with the "From the Sky Down" documentary.

U2com Official Store | Achtung Baby (20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) CD

If this is true, this makes for a wonderful gift, as it's worth the $9 to get the documentary. I assume the documentary is on a DVD.

However, I am also wondering if this is just a major typo.

Any thoughts? If you have the answer, thank you! :wave:

Lots of talk about the Uber and Super Deluxe and the Vinyl - time for some on the Deluxe. :up:

I know some people bought the Deluxe AB while waiting for their Uber or Super Deluxe AB's. But a question arose.

http://www.amazon.com/Achtung-Baby-2-CD-Deluxe/dp/B005EYP8PO

However, U2.com has a $29.99 version of the Deluxe set. Per the description, it states that this version comes with the "From the Sky Down" documentary.

If this is true, this makes for a wonderful gift, as it's worth the $9 to get the documentary. I assume the documentary is on a DVD.

I raised this issue several weeks ago and never got a response from anyone on Interference. My guess is it's a major screw-up on the part of the U2.com store. I don't think a 1CD/1DVD version of this exists.

Thank you! I'm thinking the same. Why would U2.com be the only place that has this particular version of the re-issue? And if they did, why aren't they super-advertising it? At that price, it makes for a great gift (2 CD's and DVD).

But I think it's just the 2 CD's and a higher price. For the most part, they are higher than Amazon, but their vinyl is a good price.

Someone should buy it, and then when they receive it and it DOESN'T have From the Sky Down in it, bitch them out. Either you'll get your $9 back OR they'll send you a copy of the film :wink:

I'm late to the party on this of course, but is the album remastered?

If not, what's the draw to buy it again?

Wondering if it's worth it to shell out. I got the Joshua Tree box set when it came out a few years ago and it was completely worth it just for the Paris DVD.

Wondering if it's worth it to shell out. I got the Joshua Tree box set when it came out a few years ago and it was completely worth it just for the Paris DVD.

If you are serious with that question, then you are SO late to the party, that you're just in time to clean up. :hyper:

There was oceans of discussion on whether this was remastered. The ultimate answer is "yes". However, unlike the 80's releases, this work didn't require as much "tinkering" to bring out the sound. That said, many have noticed improvements over the original.

The re-release, like the JT re-issue, does feature new songs, a DVD of the film "From the Sky Down" which discusses U2's state of mind during the making of AB, and other tidbits. The most unique is a CD of the early versions of the 12 songs (called Kindergarten). You can check on Amazon or other sites to get details.

Whether you want to buy it, of course, is up to you. The Uber version is very expensive - many have gone for the less expesive Super Deluxe version. My question in this thread was about the 2 CD Deluxe version.

Doc, thanks for the detailed answer. I'd heard a while back that AB wouldn't be remastered and that we'd get some demo's, B- sides and the DVD would be ZooTV Sydney. I've got em' all, so I never bothered checking that thread.

I may buy it for the sound enhancements and "Kindergarten". "Sky Down" I saw and recorded off Showtime last weekend. Good stuff but I've got it now.

Is there anything else I'd be missing out on?

Oh, and to save about 10 hours of searching the thread, any sound enhancements that really stand out?

Actually... by the technical definition of a remaster, the album was not remastered. But it was sonically tweaked, from the previous master tapes.

(I hope I don't regret posting this - I don't mean to be mean by doing so)

Amazon.com: Achtung Baby (2 CD Deluxe Edition): U2: Music

Yesterday, I mistakenly bought the 2 CD version because I thought it had Down all the days and all the other Berlin reworked songs...there is no documentary in this version.

According to the band who made the album, U2, the "ultimate answer" is that AB is not "remastered."

The other reissues went through an extensive remastering process which involved going back to the original sources tapes of the separate instruments and using those to create a new master. Nothing close to this was done for AB.

In this case, the existing, final master was merely re-EQ'd...i.e. the levels were adjusted. Yes, as a result of this, a new master was of course created, but from a technical perspective it was a wholly distinct (and must less extensive) process than that the 80's releases went through. At best, this is what's a called a "digital remaster." If you took the existing AB digital files that are on your computer, adjusted the levels, and created a new file with those adjustments, you could say that you've "remastered" AB. This is done on U2 Torrent sites all the time. That's essentially what was done here.

I'd liken it to comparing comparing an old movie which has been carefully restored and recompiled from the original film negatives to one which merely gets a new digital transfer (such as to DVD) from the existing final negative. The processes are night and day.

So I guess it depends on how you define "remaster". But, if you're looking for a "final" word, if that of the band means anything to you (and it doesn't to many on here), U2 is not calling it "remastered", it's not being advertised by U2 as remastered, they've told their close associates it's not remastered, and the word "remaster" does not appear in the liner notes.

So there's your answer.

Nick66 said:
Hey, they guy asked, and was given incomplete information, so I answered.

Everything I said is 100% factually correct and should not be the cause of any controversy. :)

Do you think they will "remaster" other albums or this one was the last?

OpenG180 said:
Do you think they will "remaster" other albums or this one was the last?

I meant re-release other albums. Really don't want to discuss if it's remastered or not...

I meant re-release other albums. Really don't want to discuss if it's remastered or not...

I personally think they'll reissue all the albums eventually in deluxe editions, including the 00's albums. There's too much money to be made....eventually U2 is going to stop making new records and the back catalog is a goldmine.

I'm sure we will even see new reissues of the 80's albums in DVD-audio, 24 bit editions, etc.

Personally, I'd love to see R&H next, which I'd think would be the last release to need a full proper "remaster". I'm also curious to see how much work they'd put into a Pop reissue, considering the bands checkered history w/that record and their previous comments about "finishing" it. IMO they've moved past Pop, and really won't' do much with it beyond what was done for a few songs on the 90's best of compilation. I don't see any indication that they have any particular desire to do anything beyond that w/those songs.

Nick66 said:
I personally think they'll reissue all the albums eventually in deluxe editions, including the 00's albums. There's too much money to be made....eventually U2 is going to stop making new records and the back catalog is a goldmine.

I'm sure we will even see new reissues of the 80's albums in DVD-audio, 24 bit editions, etc.

Personally, I'd love to see R&H next, which I'd think would be the last release to need a full proper "remaster". I'm also curious to see how much work they'd put into a Pop reissue, considering the bands checkered history w/that record and their previous comments about "finishing" it. IMO they've moved past Pop, and really won't' do much with it beyond what was done for a few songs on the 90's best of compilation. I do see any indication that they have any particular desire to do anything beyond that w/those songs.

I wrote a big piece with my considerations but my damn Iphone messed with me... I basically agree with you. I'm mostly curious about Pop too.

I wrote a big piece with my considerations but my damn Iphone messed with me... I basically agree with you. I'm mostly curious about Pop too.

Yes, iPhones tend to do that? :)

Does anyone know if the Pop songs from the 90/00 Best Of compilation were completely "new" recordings of the songs, or just remixes? I've never been able to get a straight answer on that?

According to the band who made the album, U2, the "ultimate answer" is that AB is not "remastered."

The other reissues went through an extensive remastering process which involved going back to the original sources tapes of the separate instruments and using those to create a new master. Nothing close to this was done for AB.

In this case, the existing, final master was merely re-EQ'd...i.e. the levels were adjusted. Yes, as a result of this, a new master was of course created, but from a technical perspective it was a wholly distinct (and must less extensive) process than that the 80's releases went through. At best, this is what's a called a "digital remaster." If you took the existing AB digital files that are on your computer, adjusted the levels, and created a new file with those adjustments, you could say that you've "remastered" AB. This is done on U2 Torrent sites all the time. That's essentially what was done here.

I'd liken it to comparing comparing an old movie which has been carefully restored and recompiled from the original film negatives to one which merely gets a new digital transfer (such as to DVD) from the existing final negative. The processes are night and day.

So I guess it depends on how you define "remaster". But, if you're looking for a "final" word, if that of the band means anything to you (and it doesn't to many on here), U2 is not calling it "remastered", it's not being advertised by U2 as remastered, they've told their close associates it's not remastered, and the word "remaster" does not appear in the liner notes.

So there's your answer.

LOL, judging from the responses in this thread, I take it that this topic has been beaten to death in he other thread?

Regardless, thanks for the detailed answer.

Yes, iPhones tend to do that? :)

Does anyone know if the Pop songs from the 90/00 Best Of compilation were completely "new" recordings of the songs, or just remixes? I've never been able to get a straight answer on that?

That is a good question. The one change in MW is the word "child". So I don't think that was a remaster or remix. Maybe just a word change (for some reason).

However, Numb, Gone, Discotheque and Staring at the Sun have considerable changes.

Numb sounds like a "remaster" (or remix). It seems Bono's and Larry's vocals were increased, while Edge's were decreased as the song went on.

Discotheque just had the Boom-cha's removed with more guitar, so I'd say remix.

Gone and Staring seem like a new version (or seriously remixed one). Both songs have added vocals or music. It's possible that the original track was mixed with new work. So maybe part-remix and part-new??

But you're right, I don't recall ever hearing much serious discussion about these changes.

Yeah agreed. All three were very heavily edited. Definitely different versions. I love the version of Gone, as it's more similar to the live version with more guitar in the choruses instead of piano, and it has better vocals imo as well. Discotheque is a travesty as it has no boomcha's and no spirit at all. The original party that was the song Discotheque has died down, and this was the leftovers.
Don't really care for the SATS version either.

The booklet in the 2-Disc Deluxe Edition is just the original one with pages added for the B-sides/Bonus tracks...disappointing. The other 2-disc deluxe albums have pages with information/notes by either the band or producers.

This one also doesn't have a hard case, it's soft.

Doctorwho you forget that an entire in MW was changed. "She wants you and she knows why".

Really? The only part I ever noticed different was the "child" line. I'll listen to it again some day. :lol: I never really liked the changes in that song.

Still, it sounds so similar to the original, it makes me wonder if it was just an earlier version of Bono's vocals.

Really? The only part I ever noticed different was the "child" line. I'll listen to it again some day. :lol: I never really liked the changes in that song.

Still, it sounds so similar to the original, it makes me wonder if it was just an earlier version of Bono's vocals.
The actual change is from "she sees the man inside the child" to "and no question, she knows why".

Back
Top Bottom