Dashboard Confessional - City of Blinding Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It doesn't make me cringe in horror/disgust the way Lee's Beautiful Day does, but that's not saying much. Not a fan of the way the lead singer's voices warbles in certain spots, and it doesn't have the sense of pace/movement that I like in the original. For me it's just ok (dawg), but I don't think I'd ever choose to listen to this over the original.

The best part was definitely the comments thinking it was a Dashboard song.

i agree with Dan here. I found it to be a nice acoustic version of this song.

I would never say it was even close to the original. I jjst think it does what a good cover should do. Is close enough to pay homage to where it comes from, but is different enough to prove that the original was INSPIRATION rather than something the coverer thought they could improve on

Meh. This is like one of my favorite U2 songs so yeah I dont care for the cover. I dont like his shaky emo voice.

^ his voice did disappoint me on this song. Lately he has lost the emo whine, and their last album actually shows he can be a really good singer. This was recorded before that however, so I suoppose that explains it.

I would never say it was even close to the original. I jjst think it does what a good cover should do. Is close enough to pay homage to where it comes from, but is different enough to prove that the original was INSPIRATION rather than something the coverer thought they could improve on

Wow, I actually liked this a lot more than I like most U2 covers. It's like you said, he added something a little different, but still kept the spirit of the original, which, imo, is the way covers should be. I probably liked the instrumentals more than the vocals (REALLY liked the use of the mandolin), but even the vocals were decent.

Back
Top Bottom