Daniel Lanois & Marc Maron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hollow Island

New Yorker
Lanois is going to be the guest on tomorrow's WTF!

Listen here http://www.wtfpod.com or wherever you get your podcasts.

Note to the uninitiated: each episode begins with a c.15 minute-long monologue where Maron talks about what he's been up to, music, food, family, politics, current events, etc. They've been heavy on the politics and very, very funny for the last few months. And also heavy: his girlfriend, the director Lynn Shelton, died suddenly in his home in the spring of an undiagnosed cancer.

While not strictly U2 related, I think this belongs here, given Lanois importance to the band.

Last edited:
Lanois is going to be the guest on tomorrow's WTF!

Listen here WTF with Marc Maron Podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.

Note to the uninitiated: each episode begins with a c.15 minute-long monologue where Maron talks about what he's been up to, music, food, family, politics, current events, etc. They've been heavy on the politics and very, very funny for the last few months. And also heavy: his girlfriend, the director Lynn Shelton, died suddenly in his home in the spring of an undiagnosed cancer.

While not strictly U2 related, I think this belongs here, given Lanois importance to the band.

Bless him. How very sad.

Hope he continues to do what he does - I got his album of peddle steel ambient music and his work on Red Dead Redemption was brilliant.

Would love to hear more about his thoughts on U2 since No Line - what he thinks of their new music, and what happened during those No Line sessions and just how the band torpedoed their original, less mainstream album.

Well, this is one step closer (no pun intended) to Maron getting Bono on the show.

If memory serves the band came up when Judd Apatow was the guest a few years ago and they were talking about the recent tour. May have been JT30 or e+i. Anyway, Apatow was geeking out about it and Maron seemed slightly positive or respectful of them; I would have expected him to be one of the haters.

As I've said before, I think Bono's team or whatever is waiting for his autobiography to come out for him to make the rounds. I'd expect him to appear on Fresh Air with Terry Gross as well.

Lanois has a 4 year plan and everything he does will be released under the heading "Maker Music," so it doesn't look look like he'll be reuniting with U2.

They really didn’t talk too much about U2. This podcast does make me want to revisit the first album he did with Bob Dylan though.

It's one of Dylan's best, IMO. And I prefer it to Time Out Of Mind.

Had he not cut several great tracks from the final running order (Dignity, Born In Time, Series of Dreams, God Knows), I think it would be held in even higher regard.

It's one of Dylan's best, IMO. And I prefer it to Time Out Of Mind.

Had he not cut several great tracks from the final running order (Dignity, Born In Time, Series of Dreams, God Knows), I think it would be held in even higher regard.
Yes, indeed. Had Oh Mercy dropped a couple of lesser songs and included Lanois's recordings of 'Series of Dreams' and 'Dignity' in particular (though 'Born in Time' is great, too), I think it would be as good as most of Dylan's greatest albums.

The lyrics of 'Dignity' are so good, it's not even fair. God, I love that song! (the Lanois version, mind)

I was a fan of the Brendan O'Brien version that appeared on Greatest Hits Vol. 3, despite it being ridiculously overproduced with all the new instrumentation (I wasn't aware of this at the time). And the stripped-down version on Unplugged. But it was revelatory hearing the versions from the Oh Mercy sessions on the Tell-Tale Signs bootleg series set.

However, the definitive version IMO can be found on a few different compilations, which splits the difference sonically. It has more energy like the O'Brien version but is with the original musicians. This is the one I have in my custom Oh Mercy playlist. I don't know if it's on YouTube but it runs 5:37. From Wiki:

A recording of the song from the original March–April 1989 Oh Mercy sessions was issued on Touched by an Angel: The Album in 1998, and subsequently included on the following compilation albums: The Best of Bob Dylan, Vol. 2 (2000); some editions of The Essential Bob Dylan (2000); Dylan (2007); and Side Tracks (2013), part of Bob Dylan: The Complete Album Collection Vol. One.

I'm sure one of those should be on Spotify.

Back
Top Bottom