Could The Edge be one of the 5 greatest guitarists of all time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best thing about the Edge are his idiosyncrasies and nuances. That said, he said his particular "style" was formed because it compliments the rest of the band, and that, at times, he feels that he switches places with Adam.

Before Pop I would have disagreed but now I think Edge just might be.

you know normally I would take this as purely a joke....but since I sense just an ounce of seriousness in your comment, let me just tell you that you are officially insane if you seriously even consider this thought for a second.

you know normally I would take this as purely a joke....but since I sense just an ounce of seriousness in your comment, let me just tell you that you are officially insane if you seriously even consider this thought for a second.

I am serious. Bono's vocals are subpar this decade not because he can't sing but that for some reason he won't "go there." I want those soaring vocals back. From what I've heard of Edge's singing, I'd take him.

Edge is a fantastic backing singer and I'd personally love to hear more of him solo in a concert setting - ie. at least one song per gig regular, like Popmart.

However, I stongly disagree that he is a better singer than Bono - Bono has his 'voice' which is so instantly recognisable that it instantly places him above The Edge. I think his [Bono's] vocals on ATYCLB are the worst they've ever been, they are so frustratingly weak in places. However, we all know how much he's found his voice again from HDTAAB, Vertigo tour and the bits and pieces we're hearing from the new album. One of my favourite of his modern performances is 'Don't Give Up (Africa)' with Alicia Keys - his voice, range and power on that song is incredible. Don't write him off yet!! :up:

I am serious. Bono's vocals are subpar this decade not because he can't sing but that for some reason he won't "go there." I want those soaring vocals back. From what I've heard of Edge's singing, I'd take him.

It's not like he's regularly nailing the operatic part in "Miss Sarajevo" or anything. Seeing that live was arguably one of the most amazing music-related moments of my life.

The lyrics are a bone of contention, but the guy can still wail.

Exaclty SP, they are anything but aka the comments I have made about their choices.

My top Guitarists are:-

Les Paul
Django Reinhardt
Alex Lifeson
Al Di Meola
Robert Fripp
Chet Atkins
Bo Diddley
Steve Hackett
Adrian Belew
Tim Sult (simple & powerful)

:applaud: Great List!

Here's my list:

Jimmy Page
Matt Belamy
Ty Tabor
Alex Lifeson
Jimi Hendrix
Rory Gallagher/Frank Marino (tie)

all subjet to change

It's not like he's regularly nailing the operatic part in "Miss Sarajevo" or anything. Seeing that live was arguably one of the most amazing music-related moments of my life.

The lyrics are a bone of contention, but the guy can still wail.

I mean their new songs from this decade.

The live performances of older stuff are a mixed bag too though.

Mixed bag compared to what? They're still putting on great live shows, and I honestly believe that this upcoming tour will blow the last three out of the water.

Mixed bag compared to what? They're still putting on great live shows, and I honestly believe that this upcoming tour will blow the last three out of the water.

Mixed bag when it comes to Bono's vocal performances. The rest of the band sounds great. Bono's vocals seem to hold the shows back in my opinion.

This could all change with the new album which I suspect it will from the beach clips. Not sure about how Bono will sound on tour.

Edge is a fantastic backing singer and I'd personally love to hear more of him solo in a concert setting - ie. at least one song per gig regular, like Popmart.

:up:

the The Edge has a very nice high voice for a man. Almost like his underpants are around his shoulders. I wonder if he likes to wear his underpants high. Does anyone know the Irish fashion? The high notes he hits in Lemon would shatter a champagne glass.

I mean their new songs from this decade.

I'll still argue that his vocal performances are still strong, especially at his age after his throat issues. Plus, it's not like they used to crack out Sarajevo and do it all of the time, much less have Bono attempt to sing the operatic section.

Aren't you all for trying out new things, too? In the case of "Pride," he couldn't nail that live even in the '80s, much less now. Others I could see the argument, but there's enough evidence otherwise to refute it. As great as it was to see them live, I wouldn't want them to keep arranging the same songs the same way each tour, there's gotta be room for variation. How awesome was the Elevation version of "The Fly?" I prefer the hard-edged version, but goddamn, wasn't that sublime? And it's a treat to hardcore fans who see them X amount of times a tour and have done that multiple times, you know?

Have you seen the band live, Screw?

I'll still argue that his vocal performances are still strong, especially at his age after his throat issues. Plus, it's not like they used to crack out Sarajevo and do it all of the time, much less have Bono attempt to sing the operatic section.

Aren't you all for trying out new things, too? In the case of "Pride," he couldn't nail that live even in the '80s, much less now. Others I could see the argument, but there's enough evidence otherwise to refute it. As great as it was to see them live, I wouldn't want them to keep arranging the same songs the same way each tour, there's gotta be room for variation. How awesome was the Elevation version of "The Fly?" I prefer the hard-edged version, but goddamn, wasn't that sublime? And it's a treat to hardcore fans who see them X amount of times a tour and have done that multiple times, you know?

Have you seen the band live, Screw?

Bono has just reached a point that every singer does where their voice has changed so much that they can't do older material. He needs to adapt and find out what he can still sing like Miss Sarajevo. That might even bring out rarities. :shrug:

I have not seen the band live in person. They have only played one concert in their whole history near here and I couldn't get tickets for it.

Bono has just reached a point that every singer does where their voice has changed so much that they can't do older material. He needs to adapt and find out what he can still sing like Miss Sarajevo. That might even bring out rarities. :shrug:

I have not seen the band live in person. They have only played one concert in their whole history near here and I couldn't get tickets for it.

I'm saying that they are doing this and it's fairly easy to tell if you compare the original live versions of songs to their current incarnations. Not every song is like this, but some are altered significantly not just to fit Bono's range, but the other guys as well, as it should be. I have a feeling this argument will go nowhere though.

That sucks. Maybe next time.

Thats right, U2 play the songs they want to live anyway.

They have always been a 5 billion times better live act than studio act.

Edge is a good guitar player, the best... i dont think so.. there are so many other guitar players that play lead better and are basically virtuoso's.
Edge is ok. and im fucking sick of seeing kurt cobain in every guitar list. HE CANT PLAY FOR SHIT.

I think you guys are looking at guitar playing all wrong. It's not about virtuosity. Guitar playing is not a sport, it's not about athletics.

I could play one fucking note all night. But if it sounds good and it connects with people on an emotional level, then it is good guitar playing.

I think you guys are looking at guitar playing all wrong. It's not about virtuosity. Guitar playing is not a sport, it's not about athletics.

I could play one fucking note all night. But if it sounds good and it connects with people on an emotional level, then it is good guitar playing.

exactly....that's why Van Halen sucks :up:

Guitar playing is about giving to the other performers not taking from them.

A lot of Guitar players are takers not givers.

And their songs are not as good accordingly.

I think what we have to remember is that it is all what the style of music demands for. We can all reason that The Edge is 'so much better' than all those guitar players who play 'guitar olympics' but i dont think that people should necessarily demean their worth; its just a different style of playing. 30-min guitar improvs would not suit The Edge - its never been what he or U2 are about, and that is fine. However, Jimmy Page on the other hand is worshipped for doing so; because that is what style Led Zeppelin always were - such individual showmanship was always what made them great.

Johnny Marr's Smiths era material is killer. True he used a ton of overdubs but still- outshines the Edge I believe. Should be top 15.

I don't know if I'd say Edge was one of the five best guitarists ever but he is amazing in his own way. I mean if Edge busted out a million note solo in a U2 song it would sound bad and out of place but the solos he does are perfectly suited to the songs like his guitar playing always is; that's what makes him great.

There's other guitarists I love such as Gary Moore, who play long solos with a thousand notes and I think are amazing but just not in the way Edge is

Marr is alright. I think Andy Rourke is a much better musician, and completely underrated.

Whilst I don't agree with most of this

I have to admit Rourke is terribly underrated; I love his bass work and think he's as important to the Smiths sound as Morrissey and Marr.

Ummm, no. Not even close to Page, Gilmour, Townsend, Lennon, Harrison, Angus Young, Richards

I meant, he actually sells U2 albums himself in a little stall he set up, out on a street near the river in the Temple district, in the middle of Dublin.

Those others don't have the same commitment as that.

Edge deserves to be top 15. :up: Amazing guitarist.

Although lists of the "best" guitarists made by people/magazines are useless imo. :down:

Whilst I don't agree with most of this

I have to admit Rourke is terribly underrated; I love his bass work and think he's as important to the Smiths sound as Morrissey and Marr.

Yes, Andy Rourke was awesome - I agree.

With the right effects many of us can 'imitate' the Edge's playing. With one finger and a rubber band stretched on a broomstick, all of us can imitate Adam's playing. However, I challenge anyone to do a good job of imitating Johnny Marr or Andy Rourke. That said, there is this: YouTube - Radiohead - The Headmaster Ritual

Another great guitar player is Bernard Butler of Suede, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom