convince me that your favourite U2 album is their best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

devir

Babyface
I found a thread with this title in a beatles forum, so I thought this would be an interesting activity to try here..

Last edited:
Boy, because it's the only U2 album where I don't remove a single song making a custom tracklist. Even the track order doesn't really need to be touched. Every other album I'd change something, but Boy is a perfect slice of post-punk. It's consistent in ethos but diverse in moods, full of energy. Edge defines his sound here. This is a band with no preconceived notions of who they are or what they should be making, excelling at everything they do.

(You're damn right I just chose Boy rather than UF. Though, to do UF, all I need to say are four words: A Sort of Homecoming.)

With all due respect to Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.....

The Unforgettable Fire

Most U2 albums I have an affinity for because a good number of them seemed to have come out when I mostly identified with the scope of the album.I'm not sure if that's either just happenstance or maybe the way I perceive it myself.

This Album's first side has five songs and four of which are in my top twenty all-time U2 songs and two are in my top 10. This album was a soundtrack for my High School years,... Everyone in my group of friends loved this album and we all saw them a number of times on this tour. The band went from clubs to hockey arena's and you just knew there was just something about this band.

This album actually paints landscapes in my mind, it to me was the first album that melded music into actual art. Somehow in my teenage years it spoke to me on some level that nothing had before this. A few years back I was readying for a business flight and decided once airborne I would listen to this album in full no skips or rearrangements in order of play. As we climbed to our cruising altitude the opening chords to ASOH started and as I looked out of the window of the plane I was transported back to another place and time. It was truly magnificent and while I love JT and AB... this album will have the slightest of edges to them both.

Obviously it helped that MTV was starting and we saw all of the videos from this album Pride - maybe too much. The videos of TUF and ASOH is etched indelibly into my mind.

Pop is probably my favorite album, though I acknowledge it’s not their best.

It was the first album to come out during my tenure as a U2 fan. I became a fan in 1995 at the age of 13, and waiting an agonizing 2 years for the next U2 album. I sat up in my bedroom for days and days listening to that album, absorbing every piece of U2 information that I could. It was one of the best experiences I remember from my formative years. The Popmart show in Columbus was my first concert ever, and it was like the culmination of my first 15 years!

So while yes, I believe Joshua Tree, Achtung and some others are better albums, Pop will always be my favorite!

Back
Top Bottom