Constant butchering of U2 covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get it - you don't like U2 tribute bands or covers versions of U2 songs. You are allowed your opinion. And your opinion is valid, in that you don't have to like it.

But to deem them all as horrible is a harsh & disrespectful statement.

Some like Mary J. Blige's version of "One" and some don't.

Some seem appalled that Edge would play "...Streets..." with Muse. Many others enjoyed the performance.

So have I seen others do a U2 song justice? Yes. I thought that John Legend (Pride), Mary J. Blige (One), Johnny Cash (One) & Keane (With Or Without You)... I've heard Tori Amos cover "Running To Stand Still" a few times. I always thought that she did a good job with it...

I also thought that Saul Williams' cover of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" was a good version and interesting take on the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keqAQk1YuOs

Have I heard cover versions that I didn't like? Yes. I'm not so fond of Cher's cover.

Have I seen good U2 tribute bands. Yes. 'The Joshua Tree' (LA), 'The Unforgettable Fire' (NY) and 'Elevation' (Canada) are three that immediately spring to mind.

So to refer to tribute bands as 'God awful' is inaccurate. Once again, I get it, you don't like them and you don't have to like them. But there is no need to be disrespectful.

Has anyone ever seen any other artist do a U2 song justice? Because I Haven't. From all these shitty American Idol performances to One on Glee (only Glee song that wasn't better than the original IMO,) and even these God-awful tribute bands that one would expect to be good becuase of their fandom. I really wish people would stop trying to pull this off. Hell, they can't even do it when U2 is there with them, Mary J. Blige One and Muse Streets (HATED IT)

Back
Top Bottom