Colors and Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropop40

Refugee
Interference is called Interference because it int
So... I dont know if its just me but I associate sound closely with pictures and colors. So when I hear a song and think back on it, usually a certain color comes to mind. It usually has to do with the mood of the song and how it relates to my personality i guess.

for example:

streets- orange

No Line on the horizon - Yellow

Zooropa- purple

Your blue room- Blue (um...well... yea)

City of blinding lights- White

The Unforgettable Fire - Maroon

I think it has a lot to do with personalities and the mood the song is creating and how we associate mood with color so easily. So I invite you to pick a few songs from U2's catalog and try to find one color to describe the song with and lets see how we all compare

:D

Hey I do that with words and numbers sometimes. :) I think my song colours stem from the album covers a lot, which isnt always great, because If I dont like the cover, then that can have an effect on how I view the song.

Pop for example, so colourful, I always have a colourful mindset when I hear it. HTDAAB though, is just all red and black. :scream: Things like NLOTH or ATYCLB is more vanila since theyre black and white, so you can add your own colours. :)

But as for examples...

Beautiful Day is kinda blue.
SIAMYCGOO - Purple for some reason
Walk On - Yellow.
Streets - Green
YBR - Blue, as you said. :wink:
Zooropa - Purple and black, cover infuence there I think

Some songs just dont have colours though. Dunno why.

Cool thread idea...have a hard time thinking of just one color

With or Without You: Black and White (Sort of like a music vid)
Promenade: Deep Red/Orange
Even Better Than the Real Thing: Jet Black with splashs of fluorescent blues, greens and yellows
Dirt Day: Navy Blue
One: Grey (But a pretty one, if that makes any sense)

Hey I do that with words and numbers sometimes. :) I think my song colours stem from the album covers a lot, which isnt always great, because If I dont like the cover, then that can have an effect on how I view the song.

Pop for example, so colourful, I always have a colourful mindset when I hear it. HTDAAB though, is just all red and black. :scream: Things like NLOTH or ATYCLB is more vanila since theyre black and white, so you can add your own colours. :)

But as for examples...

Beautiful Day is kinda blue.
SIAMYCGOO - Purple for some reason
Walk On - Yellow.
Streets - Green
YBR - Blue, as you said. :wink:
Zooropa - Purple and black, cover infuence there I think

Some songs just dont have colours though. Dunno why.

hmm... interesting. I agree it might have to do with the album covers- some interesting psychology ideas there.

Beautiful day I see as torquoise. SIAMYCGOO I see as yellow. Maybe you see it as purple because I think they used purple/ blue lighting during the elevation shows? maybe subconscious influence there.

I see the same with zooropa. Maybe you see green because I think the lighting was green during the Vertigo tour (or just the flags)

I think certain sounds evokes colors for me. The typical edge bell ringing guitar sound is like an orange/yellow for me. and the distorted guitar is always a dark blue or black. but I think if a song doesnt have a color I see it as black or white. nice to hear other's interpretations :sexywink:

Cool thread idea...have a hard time thinking of just one color

With or Without You: Black and White (Sort of like a music vid)
Promenade: Deep Red/Orange
Even Better Than the Real Thing: Jet Black with splashs of fluorescent blues, greens and yellows
Dirt Day: Navy Blue
One: Grey (But a pretty one, if that makes any sense)

Yes! I see the same with all of those songs. sometimes they are a mix of colors

I can only think of one from the top of my head right now but for some reason every time I hear Bad, I think of the color blue :shrug:

yes! I see the same with all of those songs. Sometimes they are a mix of colors
:d

U2's songs are far to complex for one color

Bad: The colors off TUF's album cover (Deep Purple, Gold, Black, White, Gray)

Hey, I didn't know other people did this too. (well of course they do, but.)

Let's see...

Red Hill Mining Town (bright red and dirty white)
Dirty Day (brown, like caked on blood)

Blood imagery in both of those.

Playboy Mansion and Streets (yellow) - associate sunshine with these songs.
Also The Fly, but more golden there, and A Man and a Woman. I think I often see track 7 songs as yellow for some reason.

Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - sort of a yellowy-lime green. This one is very vivid.

Synesthesia was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. My daughter has always felt it very strongly, especially with the letters of the alphabet.

so I guess I suffer from Synesthesia :ohmy:

and yes, the songs are way to complex for one color, they are like a "rainbow of sound" lol

I don't know if it's something you suffer from as much as just something you experience that others don't. Vladimir Nabokov experienced it very strongly. He wrote about how he associated certain words and letters with certain colors (though off the top of my head I can't remember the title of the book...it's the one in which he talks about his writing).

I do sense a few colours on songs.

Magnificent: black and gold
Unknown Caller: Red
I'll Go Crazy: Navy Blue
Breathe: Black and Navy Blue
No Line On The Horizon: White, Light yellow and light blue
White As Snow: green
Stand Up Comedy: red and black
Get On Your Boots: Yellow[/COLOR]
Moment Of Surrender: green

I see the same with zooropa. Maybe you see green because I think the lighting was green during the Vertigo tour (or just the flags)

I think certain sounds evokes colors for me. The typical edge bell ringing guitar sound is like an orange/yellow for me. and the distorted guitar is always a dark blue or black. but I think if a song doesnt have a color I see it as black or white. nice to hear other's interpretations :sexywink:

Well Streets has always been green to me. :hmm: I guess a lot of the Joshua Tree is. funnily enough live songs tend to have a different colour.

The Fly on Elevation would be green too, but the original would probably be a dark colour. A dark blue maybe.

Stand Up Comedy is yellow to me, but mainly cos comedy seems like a yellow word, so the rest gets coloured with it. :p

I do sense a few colours on songs.

Magnificent: black and gold
Unknown Caller: Red
I'll Go Crazy: Navy Blue
Breathe: Black and Navy Blue
No Line On The Horizon: White, Light yellow and light blue
White As Snow: green
Stand Up Comedy: red and black
Get On Your Boots: Yellow[/color]
Moment Of Surrender: green

hmm wow. I agree with you on Stand Up comedy, breathe, Nloth, and magnificent. but I sense different colors on the rest... I guess everyone perceives things differently. Very interesting :up:

Stand Up Comedy is yellow to me, but mainly cos comedy seems like a yellow word, so the rest gets coloured with it. :p

for me, SUC is like red and black because it kind of reminds me of some songs on HTDAAB. and htdaab is generally red and black to me (well, the album theme colors). Most of the colors I see are black, white, dark blue, light blue, red, and orange.

I rarely see green at all. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom