Christopher Nolan dies at 43

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd like to add that R.E.M.'s "The Wrong Child" was also inspired by Christopher Nolan. It annoys me that the media act like U2 were the only people who wrote a song about him.

You know, at first I thought it was "The Dark Knight" director who died. :|

I thought the exact same thing too. Too bad for this Christopher, don't know much about him, but it seems like he was a great guy and an inspiration to many people.

I read his book about three years ago just after my son was born.
The book shook me to my core.
It changed my perception of people with challenges, for lack of a better term.
It was a line of strength when my own son was going through some medical issues.

I am truly saddened reading this news article. Christopher Nolan was truly a great writer -- and not because he was 'handicapped', but because he had no limits to his being.

R.I.P.

R.I.P. Christopher Nolan

Haven't seen anything else about this here at Interference, but I just saw that Christopher Nolan, author of The Eye of the Clock, The Banyan Tree, and Dam-Burst of Dreams, and inspiration behind the U2 song Miracle Drug, died on February 20, at age 43.

U2 went to school with Nolan at Mount Temple, and Bono has previously said of Nolan:

"We all went to the same school and just as we were leaving, a fellow called Christopher Nolan arrived. He had been deprived of oxygen for two hours when he was born, so he was paraplegic. But his mother believed he could understand what was going on and used to teach him at home. Eventually, they discovered a drug that allowed him to move one muscle in his neck. So they attached this unicorn device to his forehead and he learned to type. And out of him came all these poems that he'd been storing up in his head. Then he put out a collection called Dam-Burst of Dreams, which won a load of awards and he went off to university and became a genius. All because of a mother's love and a medical breakthrough."​

When Miracle Drug came out I was teaching a girl who had the same disability and very impaired. She "spoke" with her eyes. Not everyone could understand her, you really had to pay attention because a flicker could have meant something. I had her two years in Kindergarten and had the same hope that maybe someday a miracle could happen to her so she could express herself freely. Miracle Drug lyrics were printed next to her picture. She's is 2nd grade now...........

MIracle Song was my least favorite song on Bomb until I read this. I didn't know the story behind it. Now the song makes more sense to me and is incredibly moving. Maybe I'll have to reconsider my evaluation of the album.

Back
Top Bottom