Chances of a third "Best Of"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceBoy

War Child
Okay, so obviously U2 is going to release at least one more compilation album in the future, with a band as big as them it's unavoidable. My question is, will we get another Best Of that's done in the same style as the first two? The reason I'm asking is because I remember people speculating that they released U218 to fulfill their contract obligation with Island Records for three Best Of compilations...or something like that (I have no idea if that's actually true). I personally would really love to see another best of consisting of material only from 2000-2010 and using the same artwork scheme as the first two. It would just be cool to have a trilogy, imo. What do you guys think?

Id like them to hold off on any Best Ofs for at least another 10 years. Time to make new music now :)

best of 80-90 was out in 98, so they dont have to jump on it immediately after the decade ends... one more new album first (after this one) then the best-of

So a best of 2000-2010 will consist of the best songs from NLOTH, HTDAAB, and half of ATYCLB?

yeah i dont know how that would work

I think it depends on what they do in 2010. I think it'll come out during their first break of the next decade.

So a best of 2000-2010 will consist of the best songs from NLOTH, HTDAAB, and half of ATYCLB?

yeah i dont know how that would work

3-4 tracks from ATYCLB, 5-6 from Bomb, 5 from NLOTH, Electrical Storm, The Hands That Built America, The Saints Are Coming, Window in the Skies, The Ballad of Ronnie Drew, I Believe in Father Christmas.

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Paul McGuinness.

3-4 tracks from ATYCLB, 5-6 from Bomb, 5 from NLOTH, Electrical Storm, The Hands That Built America, The Saints Are Coming, Window in the Skies, The Ballad of Ronnie Drew, I Believe in Father Christmas.

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Paul McGuinness.

No Electrical neither Hands
Sweetest Thing wasn't on 90-00.

But I guess you were just being sarcastic :wink:

at this stage, i would think

Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
COBL
ABOY (hopefully not)
OOTS
Kite
Elevation
Walk On
WITS
TSAC
4 or 5 from new disc
2 new songs

I for one am hoping for another album (new U2, or the band's Spiderman recordings) later this year, so that could help fill out a new best of. I hope they aren't going to release another compilation any time soon, though.

If they even talk about making a third Best Of anytime soon, I'll fly to Dublin, get a hold of Paul McGuinness and punch him in the gut repeatedly until he drops the idea.

if they actually use two songs from their greatest hits cd to fill out their "best of" cd that would be incredibly lame

I wonder if they'd put songs on that were specifically created for other greatest hits albums, eg THTBA, Electrical Storm, and WITS. :doh:

Although, unfortunately, especially the former two are two of the decade's best songs.

I wonder if they'd put songs on that were specifically created for other greatest hits albums, eg THTBA, Electrical Storm, and WITS. :doh:

Although, unfortunately, especially the former two are two of the decade's best songs.

What's even lamer is that THTBA was just a relatively recent soundtrack number, nothing special...and wasn't Electrical Storm rushed out after that broadcast demo started circulating?
Nothing from this decade should have made the 90s best of. Where was Lemon, Mofo, the single mix of Please, even a polished Goldeneye if they cared about covering all their various projects?

It is my firm belief that the band should have just released an EP in 2006 instead of U218. Put Mercy on it since it was circulating anyway, WITS, Saints, Fast Cars because more people need to hear it. Scrap together two or three more songs and that would've sold for the holiday season. A best of this decade may be more appropriate then.

It is my firm belief that the band should have just released an EP in 2006 instead of U218. Put Mercy on it since it was circulating anyway, WITS, Saints, Fast Cars because more people need to hear it. Scrap together two or three more songs and that would've sold for the holiday season. A best of this decade may be more appropriate then.

:yes: That's why I got pissed off when U218 was released...it was just like, "Do we really need this?". Also, I totally agree that the material from ATYCLB shouldn't have been included on 1990-2000. I assume they thought it wold help boost the sales...and they were probably right.

Best of 1990-2000 should have actually represented '90s U2. Sadly, it really didn't.

My picks:

DISC 1

Zoo Station
Even Better Than The Real Thing
One
Until The End Of The World
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Numb
Lemon
Stay
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Miss Sarajevo
Your Blue Room
Discotheque
Staring At The Sun
Gone
Please

DISC 2

Night And Day
Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk / Korova 1
Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix)
Satellite Of Love
Salome
Where Did It All Go Wrong?
I've Got You Under My Skin
Slow Dancing
Holy Joe (Garage Mix)
North and South of the River
I'm Not Your Baby
Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad
The Fly (Lounge Fly Mix)
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (The Temple Bar Remix)
Lemon (Perfecto Mix)
Bottoms (Watashitachi No Ookina Yume)

32 songs. Only a handful of remixes, all on the second disc. If any of the above tracks need to be cut for time, remove Your Blue Room from disc 1 and I'm Not Your Baby from disc 2.

I'm not sure what would go on a best of 2000-2010. I assume it would consist strictly of only three albums, ATYCLB, HTDAAB and NLOTH. The other songs people mentioned such as WITS, Saints, Electrical Storm and HTBA are new to the decade but where included on other best of compiliations. Maybe they would include some songs from the upcoming U2 interpretation of the Spiderman musical. I guess if they do release a "Zooropa" type album in the middle of the upcoming tour that would give us five albums of material plus maybe two new songs. I would guess another "Best of" wouldn't be released for quite some time though.

Best of 1990-2000 should have actually represented '90s U2. Sadly, it really didn't.

My picks:

DISC 1

Zoo Station
Even Better Than The Real Thing
One
Until The End Of The World
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Numb
Lemon
Stay
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Miss Sarajevo
Your Blue Room
Discotheque
Staring At The Sun
Gone
Please

DISC 2

Night And Day
Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk / Korova 1
Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix)
Satellite Of Love
Salome
Where Did It All Go Wrong?
I've Got You Under My Skin
Slow Dancing
Holy Joe (Garage Mix)
North and South of the River
I'm Not Your Baby
Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad
The Fly (Lounge Fly Mix)
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (The Temple Bar Remix)
Lemon (Perfecto Mix)
Bottoms (Watashitachi No Ookina Yume)

32 songs. Only a handful of remixes, all on the second disc. If any of the above tracks need to be cut for time, remove Your Blue Room from disc 1 and I'm Not Your Baby from disc 2.

I would add Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car and Mofo as well. Good tracklist.

There will be another full U2 album in 2010 at the latest, of that I'm almost certain. Therefore they should have no problems filling out 2000-2010 without having to dip back into ATYCLB. Pure speculation obviously,but I've just got a really strong feeling that they already have most of the material they need to put together a Zooropa-type mid tour record... It could be the Spiderman stuff re-worked for the full band for example...

I fully agree though that the ATYCLB era should have been left off 1990-2000 - the tracklist from LemonMelon would have been close to perfect.

The Best of 2000-2010

1.Vertigo
2.SYCMIOYO
3.COBL
4.OOTS
5.Kite
6.Elevation
7.Walk On
8.WITS
9. Moment of Surrender
10. Get On Your Boots
11. No Line On The Horizon
12. Breathe
13. Winter (non-album song)
14. Spiderman-song
15. Reworked b-side or non-released track from decade (i.e. Are You Gonna Wait Forever or Mercy)

So it is possible...

Nov-10: new album or EP

Nov-12: Best of 2000-2010 featuring
1. Elevation
2. Walk On
3. Vertigo
4. SYCMIOYO
5. COBL
6. OOTS
7. WITS
8. TSAC
9. GOYB
10-12. 3 other tracks from NLOTH
13-14. 2 songs from 2010 LP/EP
15-16. 2 new songs

I'm also expecting there'll be a 7 disk set featuring the 3 best of double-disks (1980-2010) with an exclusive bonus disk featuring any/all of:

- tracks previously on iTunes (The Fool, Street Missions, Levitate, Smile, Flower Child, Love You Like Mad, Jesus Christ, Xanax & Wine, Native Son)
- rarities (Mercy, vocal Speed of Life, Be There, Wanderer-Bono vocal, Jump Start Your Heart)
- side projects (Mission:Impossible, Stateless)

I wouldnt mind a new Best of if it included NLOTH, another album mid tour + Spiderman score.

Lemon Melon had it spot on.

But the whole thing is fucked up now anyway. The 80's best of, although there were a few key tracks missing (Gloria, A Celebration), was brilliant, but the 90's one made no sense. The inclusion of ATYCLB tracks was half-arsed and based on when the singles were released, which is a bit ridiculous, and they could've gone about re-working Where Did It All Go Wrong or Salome or using She's Gonna Blow Yer House Down as a single perhaps.

As it stands you've got:

Elevation
Walk On

Vertigo
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
City of Blinding Lights
All Because Of You/Original of the Species

Get Ya Boots On + 2 or 3 more

WindoW in The Skies maybe....? but that's already been on a best of!

Mercy as a single on 00-10?

It'll be a very wonky compilation due to the scarcity of material (especially "best of" quality_ from the noughties and the inconsistency of the previous "Best Of" release.

That said, is there really any need for 00-10? Wasn't U218 the 3rd best of released under the original contract?

Back
Top Bottom