Brandon Flowers Covers IGWSHA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just bought the new Brandon Flowers, solo, CD a week or so ago. I'm not jumping up and down over it that's for sure, (this song is not on it) but it sure is good to hear this song brought back to life again!
You know....... I kinda like it. :hmm:

Eh, it's not terrible, but it's not good. One listen is plenty.

That being said, you gotta love this guy for acknowledging some obscure U2 stuff. Especially from POP?

He also was probably the reason In a Little While was brought back for the Vertigo tour, which I thought was great. (I know the song could use a rest now)

Someone's gotta get some more obscure stuff into Flowers' hands and maybe that will help U2 rediscover them and we'll get U2 playing them live again.

Quick, someone sneak Mofo, Gone, LNOE, Heartland, One Tree Hill and Acrobat onto his iPod!

I'm a big fan of Brandon/Killers. Not a fan of this cover though. I have never really liked the original anyway though, so it's just not for me.

Not bad. I just don't like Flowers, his voice makes me cringe but I like that he made the song his own w/ the arangement.

:up:

Agree completely. The arrangement is wonderful and I think a wonderful interpretation of the song. I don't mind covers, but a different perspective on a cover can give the song new meaning. The most glaring yet glorious example of this is U2's cover of "Night and Day". Every time I heard this "show tune" it seemed like something was off. There are rather dark lyrics in the song, but it was sung like a happy little love song. U2's version turned it into the dark obsession themed song that it really is. One can still enjoy the numerous show tune versions, but U2's version is a refreshing take (and as a result, one of my favorite covers ever).

What hurts this is that I'm not a fan of Flowers' goat-like vibrato. That needs to be cut back (i.e., some vocal lessons). He was flat in a few spots, but I'll let that slide in a live performance. What is impressive is that out of all of U2's songs, he chose this in their catalog to cover. It's by far not my favorite song - even off of "Pop" - yet Flowers' version is good enough for me to reconsider it a bit. And ulatimately that's what makes this version impressive.

I approve.

Come on U2, Brandon Flowers has played more Pop songs than you have in your entire 360 tour to date :doh:

Yeah, still wondering why that is. :huh:

Why am I thinking it would be awesome if Johnny Cash did the song like this? :drool:

I knew what you meant. :up:

What hurts this is that I'm not a fan of Flowers' goat-like vibrato. That needs to be cut back (i.e., some vocal lessons). .

The vibrato is what bugs me, too. I've always felt it was a nervous sound. He doesn't have all the time -but yeah, lessons would work. :up:

I get why eople don't like him, but thatsaid I am a big fan. And I love this cover.

I find it interesting that U2 fans are so polrised over Brandon/the Killers. The qualities people dslike in him are often the qualities people dislike in Bono (the ego, the pomp, the bombast).

For me, I just don't think the songs are that good. I really liked Hot Fuss, and have liked each subsequent Killers album less and less. Really disappointing. I gave a listen to Brandon's solo album and was supremely underwhelmed.

I guess I'm just not a Killers fan, even though I loved the first album so much. :(

^ Solo album takes a couple of listens, but the first 5 songs blow you away, and there are no really weak links.

Only the Young, Jilted Lovers and Hard Enough are fantastic

Love the killers/Flowers...I like this cover, but it sort of came off like the song was overwhelming him vocally, which is unexpected, since the song isn't even a powerhouse vocal...this kind of stuff always reminds me of how big Bono's voice is. Still cool though, and props for covering this song :up:

Back
Top Bottom