Boy tops 100 greatest debut album list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy is NOT the #1, do i think it deserves to be up there? yes, but 1???

appetite for destruction is #1, case closed.

there is not one record out there that had that many songs hit the top 10

I concur with the general consensus here that, while Boy is a memorable, unique and special first album, it's a bit of an odd choice for the (entirely trivial) #1 spot on such a list. The list-makers should know the can of worms they're opening up for themselves by ranking anything U2-related at #1!!!

Even trying to be objective about it, I think the #1 spot should go to more of a classic-rock artist who peaked earlier (unlike U2) and who was more musically accomplished on the first album (unlike U2). (By this criterion, the real classic first album in the United States was Meet The Beatles, but it was actually their 2nd American album).

I also agree that The Stone Roses, which is my favourite first album, is a no-brainer for a list like this, and its absense is baffling (obvously, this is an American list).

Here are my thoughts on some of the top-50:

2. Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool
WTF?? This is not Miles' first album by any stretch of the imagination; it is his first with Gil Evans and the nonet, but hardly his first. I got this one when I was 18 or so -- certainly a great recording, but why does every rock list feel obligated to include Miles Davis and Coltrane? Why include jazz at all, and if so, why not Ella Fitzgerald and Bill Evans and Weather Report? Ridiculous.
4. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
Like many people with a university degree (or more than one), I dislike Led Zep. I'll give them some props for being loud and musical. But they certainly weren't original at all, so I think this is way too high (if it's up to me, they wouldn't be on here at all).
7. Nirvana - Bleach
Clearly, this is here because of their next two albums -- which means it shouldn't be here at all.
8. Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan
I'm a major Dylan fan, and even I think this is absurd. Dylan himself disowned his first album before it was even released!
9. Metallica - Kill 'em all
The title pretty much sums up my feelings towards the members of Metallica.
10. Arcade Fire - Funeral
Again, even though I'm Canadian, I think these guys (and gals) are the most overrated thing since the new Coke. Check back in 20 years when they've been completely forgotten on lists like this.
11. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
I love Jaz-Z, but if you're gonna put a hip-hopper near the top, you've gotta choose an old-skool guy or group. This is as silly as putting . . . I dunno, U2 ahead of The Beatles! Oh, wait...
16. Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets
And there go the record buyers!
17. Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley
This should be #2 or #3.
20. New Order - Movement
I love the New Order guys, but giving them two in the top 20 when The Beatles have 0? Say goodbye to credibility. . .
23. Kanye West - The College Dropout
See Arcade Fire. Better yet, Kanye, see a psychologist for suppression of the ego.
29. John Coltrane - Coltrane
See Miles Davis nonet above. This isn't even one of Trane's better albums.
32. the Doors - The Doors
This should be a lot higher on the list.
33. Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?
Should be in the top 5.
44. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
45. Vicente Fernandez - A Pesar De Todo
46. A Tribe Called Quest - Peoples' Instinctive Travels & the Paths of Rhythm
47. Nas - Illmatic

#44 through #47 are pretty much all forgettable. . . and I even like A Tribe Called Quest!
50. Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville
I was the first one amongst my circle of friends to own this album . . . so there! (Yes, it's great -- but how the mighty have fallen.)

In conclusion: Move U2 down the list, bring Elvis and Jimi way up, get rid of instrumental jazz which shouldn't be compared to rock and roll, get rid of the stuff that nobody cared about in the first place (Brian Eno), get rid of artists who are there because they're great but not there because of their debuts (Nirvana, Bob Dylan), add Please Please Me, The Stone Roses, some Motown-ers with great first LPs, Bjork's Debut, and Sinead O'Connor's Lion and The Cobra, and then we'll talk. . .

Please Please Me may have a few fine songs, but in no way is it complete an album enough to deserve a high place on the list, if any place at all.

Please Please Me may have a few fine songs, but in no way is it complete an album enough to deserve a high place on the list, if any place at all.

Completely disagree. These things need to be considered in the context in which they existed. How many diverse albums of thoroughly convincing soulful rock, with 8 of 14 original compositions, were coming out of the UK in early 1963? Absolutely none, which is why Please Please Me spent 6 months ("months", not weeks) at #1 in the UK. I think it's by far the most exciting of all The Beatles' albums, and it was the biggest seller in their home country until Sgt. Pepper came along. 6 of the 14 songs later hit the US top 20, and Rolling Stone recently named the album #39 of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

I've always felt that "Boy" was one of the stronger debut albums of any group. It didn't force any "pop" tunes, yet it defintely had some catchy tracks (that have endured the test of time and remain popular today). Bono doesn't try to oversing (as he did on "War"), it's not too political or religious, but those overtones are there, and it defines the group as a great post punk rock band, without the defiance of new wave.

Is it the best? Eh, music is too subjective for that. But I'm glad "Boy" was recognized for being a strong debut ablum. :yes:

One thing that puzzles me is that when these types of silly lists come out, if U2 isn't #1 (or in the Top 5) people bitch about those ahead of them. Now that U2 is #1, people bitch about them being too high. :shrug: With U2 fans, it's always a lose-lose situation for U2.

Lists like these are always judgment calls. How can you really compare very good albums having such a diversity of individual styles? I personally believe that Boy is a great album and probably deserves to top the list as much as any of the others but who's to really say? I do take issue with the statement that a particular album deserves to top the list because it had more hit songs. Since when does that matter with regards to the quality of the music? All that indicates is what was in vogue on the radio at that time.

I agree with Boy (I've warmed up to the album a little), but I'm not sure about the rest of this list. Who compiled this, anyway?

the one thing Boy does have going fot it is that it's a true debut
the 4 members together hadn't seen more than 4 hours of the inside of a recording studio prior to recording this

Completely disagree. These things need to be considered in the context in which they existed. How many diverse albums of thoroughly convincing soulful rock, with 8 of 14 original compositions, were coming out of the UK in early 1963? Absolutely none, which is why Please Please Me spent 6 months ("months", not weeks) at #1 in the UK. I think it's by far the most exciting of all The Beatles' albums, and it was the biggest seller in their home country until Sgt. Pepper came along. 6 of the 14 songs later hit the US top 20, and Rolling Stone recently named the album #39 of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

hahahaha and THAT argument is over!

Most of the list is incredibly stupid. Boy was the first piece of music I ever purchased, I love it immensely, and even I wouldn't go so far as to put it as the number 1 debut album of all time. Cmon now.

what a load of rubbish

2 best debut albums

1. Oasis - Definitley Maybe
2. Stereophonics - Word Gets Around

Pablo Honey is a shitty album :)

every radiohead fan can agree with this.

varitek said:
Guyz I don't understand why you are questioning this. Any time U2 wins an award or tops a list it is automatically the right decision, even if it isn't, because it's U2, how can you call yourselves U2 fans and question this?

because if you ever bother to pick up music from other respected bands, you'll know how wrong this list is. boy was a great debut, but it can't be the BEST DEBUT EVER. crazy.

7. Nirvana - Bleach
Clearly, this is here because of their next two albums -- which means it shouldn't be here at all.

Totally agree. Most people didn't even realize this album existed until after they heard Nevermind.

Boy is brilliant, but that's a weird list.

"wipes the floor with boy"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I would understand if you were talking about Definitely Maybe.
But Stereophonics? :lol:
In second?? :lmao:

Give Word Gets Around a couple of listens and you will love it

Obviously Definitley Maybe also wipes the floor with Boy

The first 3 Stereophonics albums were brilliant

I don't know... I just don't like their music...

And Definitely Maybe wipes the floor with a looooot of stuff ;)

Back
Top Bottom