Boy & War Covers Connection with Blake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cathou_u2

Refugee
Hi folks!

So here's the thing, last morning something hit me when I opened my computer and saw my "War" wallpaper, I instantly thought about William Blake :hmm:

The famous English poet wrote "Songs of Innocence" and "Songs of Experience", two collections of poems exploring two different states of consciousness.

"Blake's categories are modes of perception that tend to coordinate with a chronology that would become standard in Romanticism: childhood is a time and a state of protected "innocence," but not immune to the fallen world and its institutions. This world sometimes impinges on childhood itself, and in any event becomes known through "experience," a state of being marked by the loss of childhood vitality, by fear and inhibition, by social and political corruption, and by the manifold oppression of Church, State, and the ruling classes." (Wikipedia, I know not the most reliable out there, but it's easy enough to understand)

So perhaps,
Boy = Songs of Innocence
boy.jpg

War = Songs of Experience
u2-war.jpg

I have no proof claiming such a connection, but I was wondering if anyone else has ever thought about a possible connection between the two :wink:
Bono did cover "Songs of Experience" on the song "Beautiful Ghost"

I know this post is almost 3 years old, but....

Great minds think alike! lol

Just last night, my dh and I were looking at the two CD covers and I mentioned the William Blake "Songs of Innocence" and "Songs of Experience" comparison to "Boy" and "War". It was so obvious to me, I was shocked when I went on-line and found that your post seems to be the only allusion to it.

Back
Top Bottom