Bootleg Tagging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. V

Refugee
So, I'm a tagging Nazi, and I won't add any bootlegs to my iPod until I can figure out the perfect system for tagging. I'm tossing and turning with the date format I'm going to use, and whether I'm going to put the stadium and the tour name in the tag. And don't even get me started of snippets...

What's your system?

Mine is:

*trackno* *Songname* Live *tour name* tour from *city* *date*
So CT remix from Amsterdam is
14 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight [Remix] Live 360 tour from Amsterdam 21-07-2009.m p 3(censorship avoiding with spaces)

Then ofcourse they all are in their respective album, one folder per show.

Another tagging Nazi. :hi5:

My system is:

Bootlegs (tour concerts):
*Song name* (Live from *name of the city*, *date*)
Examples:

• Bad (Live from Saitama, December 4, 2006)
  • Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Live from Las Vegas, April 25, 1997)
And to label the album I always use *Tour name* - Live from *name of the city*, *date*
Examples:

• Vertigo Tour - Live from Saitama, December 4, 2006
  • PopMart Tour - Live from Las Vegas, April 25, 1997
Obs: There's exceptions like The Unforgettable Fire Tour - Live at Live Aid, May 13, 1985. Being an event and all, it's better to use that instead of "London" on this case. Same goes for labeling shows from concerts like this.

Bootlegs (other shows):
Same labeling for songs and albums, but when it's a performance taking place in a studio or something like that, you use that place's name.
Examples:

• Breathe (Live at Studios Rive Gauche, February 23, 2009
  • Womanfish (Live at RTE2 Studios, January 30, 1986
To label the albums, I just use Live at *place's name*, *date*
Examples:

• Live at Studios Rive Gauche, February 23, 2009
  • Live at the BBC Rooftop, February 27, 2009
  • Live from New York City, December 5, 2000
To label the folders in my pc I always put [Various dates] - before the name to keep things organized, you might as well use this when labeling the albums since they're gonna be on your iPod.

Obs: Same as previous observation.
Obs 2: Promo tour shows always are in this category for me.

OBS [for all unoffical stuff]:
I always name the snippets on the song also. ALWAYS, if it's unofficial. u2gigs is great to help you with that.

DVD Audio Rips: *Song name* [*DVD name* DVD]
Examples:

• I Will Follow [PopMart Live from Mexico DVD]
  • The Fly [Elevation 2001: Live from Boston DVD]
  • City of Blinding Lights [U218 Vertigo//05 Live from Milan DVD]
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday ["Under a Blood Red Sky" DVD]
Official live albums: *Song name* (Live from *city's name*/"place's name if it's a studio or "Brooklyn Bridge" for example. That'll depend also on the album's title.)

Hope this helps. :)

As far as the world of bootleg trading goes, the standard date format is yyyy-mm-dd. That's especially convenient for titling your folders with each show on your computer, as it puts the gigs in chronological order.

As far as my tagging goes, I just use the song title; no extra "live from" or date in that field. In the album field, I use "yyyy-mm-dd, city of concert".

So I'm thinking I'm going with:

YYYY-MM-DD, Maxi Tampon Stadium, Anytown, Country, Annihilation Tour

And for the song title, I'm going to include snippets as per U2Gigs.com

:hyper:

The problem with naming it like this (as I found) is that you last.fm etc. don't record your most listened to songs correctly (as I like to see). Plus I had problems fitting it onto the screen of my iPod/laptop. The new system suits how I listen to music, but all the tag information is searchable so no efficiency has been lost.

I have replaced all of my tags with the following:

Artist: U2
Title: Mysterious Ways
Album: 2009.07.20 - Amsterdam I - 360 Tour
Comments: Live from Amsterdam Arena, Amsterdam, Netherlands (20 July 2009) [Snippet: n/a]

I do put the date in the actual file name though, to distinguish it from other versions.

this is what i do:
first, on itunes to keep it all organized, i have a playlist folder for all concerts. then i have a playlist for each tour (boy, october, etc.) and keep all boots in chronological order.

now, as for the tagging of stuff, i do city dd/mm/yy as the album name. i'm not too picky about the song titles though, if the snippets are included in the title that's fine, if not, i don't go adding them. i do get annoyed though when people write SONG TITLES LIKE THIS or like_this_because_who_does_this?

as for the file names and folders, i just let itunes take care of that.

example:
artist: U2
song: Ultraviolet
album: Oslo 7/29/93

yes i do actually capitalize my song tags :wink:

the radiation is one word, and i just stick with that.

otherwise the song title suggests that it's just really, really, really violet.

I use Ultraviolet, too, but it does say Ultra Violet on the album, and I know U2Gigs has a very strong policy on calling it such.

I generally throw bootlegs I download pell-mell around my hard drive and download them again if I lose them. I might prune through it all once a decade or so; I haven't decided yet.

Back
Top Bottom