Bono's Vocal Range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd have to agree with those comments your girlfriend made, it blatantly obvious to anyone, even the most ardent U2 fan, than Bono doesn't have the same power and energy he used to, but that has nothing to do with his vocal ability, range etc. I'm sure he can still sing songs in a similar way, with the same tone, vocal range etc, what he can't do is put as much power and force into that voice as he used to. There are some exceptions like Ultraviolet, Miss Sarajevo, Streets, TUF, but I just can't imagine Bono singing God Part II, Angel of Harlem, Night and Day, Pride, Hawkmoon etc, in the same way he did in the 80s and 90s.

That isn't a criticism, just a fact, he is older now and we all know the history with his vocal chords, being allergic to red wine, smoking etc. It's just wear and tear and age, he won't be recording vocals like those I've mentioned, in addition to In A Lifetime, With Or Without You, Desire, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses...

1.)You have a long list of exceptions!

2.)Pride, Angel of Harlem the same way as the 80s and 90s? Pride he screamed and rarely sang with any kind of power or conviction at all in the 80s and it was pretty flat in the 90s, though pretty good on Zoo TV. It was only really great on Conspiracy of Hope and Vertigo. Angel of Harlem was definitely best on Lovetown, but the band has not even done it in the same style since then and far be it from any of us to know why. The Lovetown performances of AOH were criticized as pompous, maybe part of why it has subsequently been toned down a bit or a lot, depending on the tour. In fact, the somewhat lackluster 90s Zoo TV versions were easily topped in terms of vocal range and power on the last leg of Vertigo and on 360 to a lesser extent.

3.)Perceptions of the average person do not tell us the actual situation. Most people do not really analyze this stuff, and often can mistake screaming for power.

4.)Vertigo(feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllll), Original of The Species, Sometimes, No Line On The Horizon, Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, White As Snow, Cedars of Lebanon(lower register) are all on par with the studio moments that you can't see him matching.

The comparison was Sunday bloody Sunday 2005 with R&H DVD...... so yeah, very obvious.... no contest. As someone stated, there are a few exceptions, I know.

The comparison was Sunday bloody Sunday 2005 with R&H DVD...... so yeah, very obvious.... no contest. As someone stated, there are a few exceptions, I know.

I still think your point stands. Although Bono is still a fine singer I don't seriously believe that he has the same power or energy word for word, phrase for phrase, as he did in the 80s and early 90s.

I still think your point stands. Although Bono is still a fine singer I don't seriously believe that he has the same power or energy word for word, phrase for phrase, as he did in the 80s and early 90s.
I agree with this.
But I still think his voice is great now and that it's better then the voices of a lot of oother current, younger rock singers.

I agree with this.
But I still think his voice is great now and that it's better then the voices of a lot of oother current, younger rock singers.

You can't tell from the Rose Bowl performance, but yes, this is more or less true.

Bono is CLEARLY a less commanding presence on stage and lacks the visceral intensity he boasted in the late 1980s. That's just fact. Can he still sing? Sure. But, considering the former two attributes are so significant to me, the choice is easy. After Popmart, I suppose we should be grateful he doesn't have a Stephen Hawking hookup, although I'm sure a few of the more stubborn sycophants at Interference would defend even that.

"WITH. OR. WITHOUT. YOU."

"Oh wow, I think this is a new low. Is he even trying to hold the note?"

"What the fuck do you mean he's not holding the note? He's been doing nothing but high Cs all tour! He's a MACHINE! :rockon:"

Sure.

But he's not as bad as the Youtubesillyvideos/"the 80s Bono had so much power and that's all that matters!!!"/antiPeterrrr crowd would have you believe either. When he's not having a shot voice, he's easily the best he's been since/after Zoo TV.

Bono is CLEARLY a less commanding presence on stage and lacks the visceral intensity he boasted in the late 1980s. That's just fact.

:lol:

I'm not going to get into the whole, which decade is better, does Bono's voice get better with long hair Samson arguments...

What it really comes down to, and it's a very frustrating thing to watch, is that Bono is out of shape for what he wants and needs to do. Bono still has the voice, when I listen to that spontaneous opera moment at the end of Magnificent I'm like sit still and sing like that... his breathiness is what causes his thinner voice. He either has to stand still more, or get back to running.

:lol:

I'm not going to get into the whole, which decade is better, does Bono's voice get better with long hair Samson arguments...

What it really comes down to, and it's a very frustrating thing to watch, is that Bono is out of shape for what he wants and needs to do. Bono still has the voice, when I listen to that spontaneous opera moment at the end of Magnificent I'm like sit still and sing like that... his breathiness is what causes his thinner voice. He either has to stand still more, or get back to running.

For what its worth, he is in much better shape now than he was on the Vertigo tour!

When has he really been in great shape? War and JT/Lovetown?

I think he has talked about weight issues on Zoo TV in the past.

I agree overall, he could stand to lose a few pounds and get back to boxing and running!

Boxing please :drool: with photos.

Seriously though, don't most people complain that his voice was at one of it's lowest points on Popmart, when he was probably in his best physical shape?

For what its worth, he is in much better shape now than he was on the Vertigo tour!

When has he really been in great shape? War and JT/Lovetown?

I think he has talked about weight issues on Zoo TV in the past.

I agree overall, he could stand to lose a few pounds and get back to boxing and running!

But during Vertigo he could hall that extra weight around the stage and he wasn't gasping for breath.

It's not so much about his extra weight, it's more about his diaphram and lung capacity. He's either secretly taken up chain smoking, or he just gave up on trying to run.

Seriously though, don't most people complain that his voice was at one of it's lowest points on Popmart, when he was probably in his best physical shape?

That was a throat issue, not much you can really do about that, although there were nights where Bono tried to overcompensate by not singing properly making things worse.

But during Vertigo he could hall that extra weight around the stage and he wasn't gasping for breath.

It's not so much about his extra weight, it's more about his diaphram and lung capacity. He's either secretly taken up chain smoking, or he just gave up on trying to run.

He ran around plenty at the shows I was at on 360. I see hundreds of acts per year and Bono still commands a stage with the best of them, even the younger ones.

I don't know if he is just singing more challenging songs up front(Breathe, NLOTH) and so seems out of breath by the time he says a few words or he is saving himself for UF, SBS, UV, MOS, et cetera and therefore may not run around as much.

Plus, he has a lot more ground to cover on the 360 stage than he did on any previous tour, so that could contribute too.

This is all rampant speculation, but then again, so are diaphram and lung capacity and chain smoking.

Who ultimately knows?

So what is the bottom line?

The bottom line is there really is no crisis of stage presence from Bono in the least bit this tour. The only crisis I see for 360 is ATYCLB but that has been discussed/is being discussed elsewhere to no end!

He ran around plenty at the shows I was at on 360. I see hundreds of acts per year and Bono still commands a stage with the best of them, even the younger ones.

I'm not disagreeing with this. All I'm saying is that he doesn't seem prepared for all the running this time around like he did for the last tour.

This is all rampant speculation, but then again, so are diaphram and lung capacity and chain smoking.

Actually no, diaphram muscles and lung capacity are essential to singing and one can tell fairly easily if they are not being used properly or to their potential. Like I said, I don't want to get into the subjectable issues of his voice, I was just commenting on the objectable issues of his voice.

Actually no, diaphram muscles and lung capacity are essential to singing and one can tell fairly easily if they are not being used properly or to their potential. Like I said, I don't want to get into the subjectable issues of his voice, I was just commenting on the objectable issues of his voice.

Ok, if you can make a youtube diagnosis of Bono's use of lung capacity, far be it from me to question it!

Of course these issues are essential to singing, but how can we truly tell if one individual or another is using them properly or to their potential? Unless we are their vocal coach or cardiologist or personal trainer, I would guess that would be difficult.

I remember during the vertigo tour people where complaining that he wasnt "running" ala where the streets have no name on the elevation tour, and infact he didnt start "running" until they played UTEOTW on the 3rd leg when Bono used to chase edge around the ellipse,

so all in all i seen Bono being alot more mobile during my show at cardiff last year than i did during my vertigo tour show in Manchester.

Ok, if you can make a youtube diagnosis of Bono's use of lung capacity, far be it from me to question it!

Of course these issues are essential to singing, but how can we truly tell if one individual or another is using them properly or to their potential? Unless we are their vocal coach or cardiologist or personal trainer, I would guess that would be difficult.

It's fairly obvious to someone who has any training in singing, and/ or anyone who has dealt with it first hand.

All of this talk about Bono and his apparent loss of his wondrous voice (which is debatable, because at his presumed peak, he also heavily relied on a "Kermit" voice and often canceled shows due to vocal problems) made me wonder if others have problems too.

The question is answered with Whitney Houston. Yes, she's had her problems with drugs, but apparently is clean and healthy. Yet, on a given night, she can be vocally horrid - far, far worse than Bono at his most scratchy moments. Click herehttp://www.tvguide.com/News/Whitney-Houston-Love-1017363.aspx?rss=breakingnews for an example.

The point of this shows that on any given night, any singer can be great or off. Studio takes are unfair as a singer can do take after take to get it right. In concert, even the best can have off nights. And sometimes an extreme "on" night may take a toll the next night. I recall McGuinness not even allowing Bono to be interviewed after JT shows so that Bono could save his voice!

I cant understand why people are taking Rose Bowl as an example for his voice today? His voice is shot there, he is very tired. Its one of the last shows from that leg.

Listen to 2009-07-07 - Milan, Paris, Amsterdam, Chicago, East Rutherford, Landover, Charlottesville they represent his voice on this tour.

Bonos most powerful singing is now, screaming hasnt nothing to do with power(80s). But he still got that rough energy but he use it sometimes wich dosnt make it nagging. But what he also does now is that he uses the rough sound and goes right over to clean correct notes, wich

Here are a few examples from this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEBmJhyLous

MOS (0:50 in the clip)
"We set ourselves" is rough but then on "on fire" he goes over in a clean operatic sound without straining. Tha sound he got in "fire" has a more powerful sound then anything from the 80s.

UTEOTW (first song in the clip)
Here he sounds exactly like on LT, he still got this rough sound. But he is smart to not use it all the time.

Breathe (1:25 in the clip)
In "Need" his voice has a very high light sound, he sounds so young here. This is the "girl sound" Bono smoked away in the middle of the 80s.

DM(2:15 in the clip)
On the line "this love" he again got this clean high light sound, again something Bono in 87-93 had lost by smoking.

Magnificent (2:27 in the clip)
That long high note would be impossible for 80s Bono. Its one of his most pwoerful ever. That is pure power nothing else.

IBIFC (3:14 in this clip)
Here he sounds like and use the same typ of singing he did in the studio version ISHFWILF.

Magnificent (2:27 in the clip)
That long high note would be impossible for 80s Bono. Its one of his most pwoerful ever. That is pure power nothing else.

Same as it ever was, Peterrrrrrrr.

He has hit that note in his sleep his entire career. It's an A.
In this live clip you've let your ears fool you into thinking that echo originates from Bono's lungs but who am I to rain on your parade? Think what you want.

All I know is this: Peterrrr just claimed that it would be impossible for "80s Bono" to sustain that A. Now, rather than post a litany of youtube links and bore people with so-called "analysis", let me just tell you this: It would not be impossible for any Bono to hit that note. My guess is Bono could hold an A when he was 16 years old.

If you want an example of something two steps above an A, listen to Pride on the album, where Bono farts out B's throughout. Impossible, I tells ya.

Just trying to help out. :wave:

I couldn't care care less about the technical aspects of Bono's vocals (I don't think it's very important, esp. in rock music), but I am always curious about this "Kermit" voice everyone refers to from the Joshua Tree era. Can someone give me a YouTube clip or something, with a reference to exactly when he uses this "Kermit" voice? And by "Kermit", do you mean a slight nasal-ized vocal?

I couldn't care care less about the technical aspects of Bono's vocals (I don't think it's very important, esp. in rock music), but I am always curious about this "Kermit" voice everyone refers to from the Joshua Tree era. Can someone give me a YouTube clip or something, with a reference to exactly when he uses this "Kermit" voice? And by "Kermit", do you mean a slight nasal-ized vocal?

Think of "howling wind" from BTBS Rattle and Hum. It's a nasal falsetto that's trying to sound like a full voice.

In this live clip you've let your ears fool you into thinking that echo originates from Bono's lungs but who am I to rain on your parade? Think what you want.

All I know is this: Peterrrr just claimed that it would be impossible for "80s Bono" to sustain that A. Now, rather than post a litany of youtube links and bore people with so-called "analysis", let me just tell you this: It would not be impossible for any Bono to hit that note. My guess is Bono could hold an A when he was 16 years old.

If you want an example of something two steps above an A, listen to Pride on the album, where Bono farts out B's throughout. Impossible, I tells ya.

Well said.

The biggest difference when comparing Bono's 80's voice to now, is that there aren't a zillion crappy cell phone video youtube links from the 80's, which seems to be the basis of a lot of analysis

MO appears to be: Disregard entire shows when they don't buttress the current theory, cherry pick youtube ad inifintum and then make a sweeping unprovable generalization eliminating a decade or two's worth of music.

Think of "howling wind" from BTBS Rattle and Hum. It's a nasal falsetto that's trying to sound like a full voice.

Exactly. In fact, the first time I watched R&H and heard Bono sing like that, I laughed! :lol: It was like a "fake opera" voice.

So that Bono did have more power and could hit high notes. I fully agree and I also feel that's my favorite Bono voice. But it came at a price.

Today's Bono seems to have overcome the horridness of the mid-90's and the airiness of the early 00's. Bono can actually scream again (!) - something he hasn't done consistently on tour since the LoveTown days. I feel his "off" nights now are similar to back then, when he resorted to fake opera voices to hit notes. When he's on, he has the power he did then.

But again, it's not fair to compare a 50 year old Bono to one in his 20's. Age, decades of singing, years of singing improperly, smoking, etc., have taken a toll. For a man soon to be 50, he sounds great and far, far better than those young'uns in their 20's. I watched Adam Lambert, last year's runner-up on "American Idol", perform this week. He screeched out this song, screaming more than singing. The crowd went wild and all I thought was, "In five years, that kid won't be able to sing a lick." Bono's technique is better now and perhaps that did come at the expense of some power. But for all of you young'uns, see how well you perform at 50 and then talk. In today's society, 50 isn't "old" by any means, but one still has to accept that 50 is not 25. :)

LOL! I know my farts are usually a B flat, so I believe it. ;)

Peterrr may be a bit extreme, but his point stands. As I wrote above, I feel Bono's best was during the UF through R&H era. It was because of Bono's passionate vocals that I became a fan. However, after his mid-90's scratchiness followed by his very weak, breathy voice in the early 00's, it seems that Bono has recovered considerably - so much so that I feel this is Bono's second best period! And Peterrrr is trying to showcase this be giving examples from many shows. So while Bono may still have his off nights, there are plenty of great ones too.

Also, before we give more praise to the 80's era Bono, find the CD single version of "Pride". It contains an extra chorus verse in it - but this time, it wasn't run through the studio magic. Bono's power on the song, partially created in the studio, is stripped down. And we hear him strain.

What this really means is that Bono is a good singer, not a great one. Being good is, well, good enough for me, but I think some on both sides of this argument are a bit extreme. :)

Fuck the High C and THE fucking Kermit The Frog and the fucking Nasal FULL and the BLOODCLOT Half Chest or whatever completely ILLEGITIMATE and otherwise ridiculous WAYS to describe it and just take a FUCKING listen to Like A Song OR THE ENTIRE FUCKING ALBUM. Then fucking tell me which is fucking better 80s bONO or NOW BONo. Thank you!!11!1

FAAAAAAAAck.

:WINK:

:LOl:

Fuck the High C and THE fucking Kermit The Frog and the fucking Nasal FULL and the BLOODCLOT Half Chest or whatever completely ILLEGITIMATE and otherwise ridiculous WAYS to describe it and just take a FUCKING listen to Like A Song OR THE ENTIRE FUCKING ALBUM. Then fucking tell me which is fucking better 80s bONO or NOW BONo. Thank you!!11!1

FAAAAAAAAck.

:WINK:

:LOl:

Very intelligent, open to discussion response.

Well said.

The biggest difference when comparing Bono's 80's voice to now, is that there aren't a zillion crappy cell phone video youtube links from the 80's, which seems to be the basis of a lot of analysis

MO appears to be: Disregard entire shows when they don't buttress the current theory, cherry pick youtube ad inifintum and then make a sweeping unprovable generalization eliminating a decade or two's worth of music.

You do not like a bunch of youtube clips, so I will not do that to you, but there are more than enough from each time period in their career. From the clubs in Dublin and London to the October festival shows to the War Tour, UF, COH, JT, Lovetown, the list goes on. You couldn't be serious here, could you?

No, because as has been shown over and over, Bono is not as a general rule off this tour with some on nights mixed in.

It is the other way around.

And just like Peterrrr pointed out with everyone using the Rose Bowl as an example, you people are just as guilty, if not more guilty of cherry picking and making sweeping, unprovable generalizations.

Whatever, some people will just never see that, and that is ok. I know Bono sounds great now, much better than he has at most points in his career, and he is 50!

That is good enough for me. No need to waste my time arguing any more!

Which tour had more trouble, ELEVATION or POPMART?

I thought this would be an interesting topic for this thread.

We all pretty much agree Popmart and Elevation(1996-2002) were Bono's worst eras in terms of his voice.

What does everyone think, as a general rule, was weaker, and why?

Me personally, I think that obviously neither were great, but that Popmart had alot more "on" moments were Bono showed some true brilliance.

As a result, I think Elevation was the weakest because it was almost a consistent downgrade with very few noticeable up ticks(Slane).

Popmart was superior technically, but I don't care. The relatively humble, contrite performances of the Elevation tour supported Bono's broken rasp of a voice. It sounded great to me. And it's not like he was regularly singing out of key or anything, it's just that his power wasn't there. But there's a time for everything, and I think that whole era felt very natural and worked out nicely. That's when I became a fan, and Bono's comforting, very human vocals throughout that tour have always felt right to me.

Back
Top Bottom