Bono's Op Ed in NY Times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many unemployed journalists are there in America?

Couldn't one of them have done the OP ed?

Regardless what I think about the rest of it:

But an America that’s tired of being the world’s policeman, and is too pinched to be the world’s philanthropist, could still be the world’s partner. And you can’t do that without being, well, loved. Here come the letters to the editor, but let me just say it: Americans are like singers — we just a little bit, kind of like to be loved. The British want to be admired; the Russians, feared; the French, envied. (The Irish, we just want to be listened to.) But the idea of America, from the very start, was supposed to be contagious enough to sweep up and enthrall the world.

And it is. The world wants to believe in America again because the world needs to believe in America again. We need your ideas — your idea — at a time when the rest of the world is running out of them.

:applaud: Preaching without sounding preachy.

I whole-heartedly agree, people will jump all over this just like they did Obama winning because they like to make fun of confident idealism and call it egotism because those talking like that (such as Bono and Obama) obviously must think they're better than those they're talking to... how about embracing compassion instead of stigmatizing it as ego-stroking?

re: one of the comments left after the article...

When DOES Bono get a Nobel prize, anyways? I honestly think he deserves it.

Taping yet another concert DVD in the US sure isn't going to help his cause any. If he really wants a Nobel, he better make damned sure the next time they tape a concert it's in Europe! :angry:

re: one of the comments left after the article...

When DOES Bono get a Nobel prize, anyways? I honestly think he deserves it.

He's done a lot with his activism, but I'm not down with, essentially, a rock star getting a Nobel Prize. It doesn't fit.

If nothing else, just try to imagine the backlash no doubt thrown his way if he would get it someday.

^That's the point, if they could get past that bias it'd show the world even more how he's used his fame, and you know what, he's done a lot more than most politcians. He and Geldof were among the finalists voted on in 2005, when their efforts including Live 8 helped get more aid from the G8, that's a tangible success, they lost to (big surprise) nuclear disarmament activists, I'm all for nuclear disarmament, but last time I checked we still had them.

^That's the point, if they could get past that bias it'd show the world even more how he's used his fame, and you know what, he's done a lot more than most politcians. He and Geldof were among the finalists voted on in 2005, when their efforts including Live 8 helped get more aid from the G8, that's a tangible success, they lost to (big surprise) nuclear disarmament activists, I'm all for nuclear disarmament, but last time I checked we still had them.

And there still are loads of people living in extreme poverty too, so if the nuclear disarmement guy shouldn't get a Nobel, then why the hell should Bono?

And there still are loads of people living in extreme poverty too, so if the nuclear disarmement guy shouldn't get a Nobel, then why the hell should Bono?

I know he really should have set the bar a little lower:

Make Extreme Poverty Less!

That way he could say he got something done! :hyper:

I agree about Bono not getting the Nobel Prize. He shouldn't and he won't. And he knows that very well himselfs. Rockstars will never get the Nobel Prize. And he doesn't need it for his work. I wish the Nobel Prize was given to people and institutions that are not in the media spotlight so much. Bono and his causes are in the media very much (some say too much) and don't need such a prestigious award. I'm sure Bono would agree. It would also be very controversial to give this honour to him, it would increase the pressure on him even more and make even more people bash him.

it would increase the pressure on him even more and make even more people bash him.

Totally agree with you on that... :up:

Just love what he said here for some reason.
"Americans are like singers — we just a little bit, kind of like to be loved."

I was hoping to hear something about the new album. I honestly don't give two craps about what Bono has to say about the world.

Back
Top Bottom