Bono's new Ted speech poorly received?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just watched the speech and thought it was a little boring compared to others he's given. Maybe it was because he was mostly talking about numbers and statistics, which is all well and good, but he seemed a little dull. He also sounded like he had a cold, so maybe that had something to do with it. :shrug: Oh well, you can't hit them all out of the park.

Compared to the last decade, it *seems* that the media in general have grown a lot more apathetic toward Bono's activism. To a degree, I can understand that. An aging rocker quoting stats isn't exactly water cooler talk. Also, Bono seems to have been "frozen out" by the heads of state that once embraced him. Tony Blair and Bush looked for photo opportunities, whereas David Cameron and even Obama of late appear much less inclined.

We all know a 10 minute time limit is torture for Bono. I'm sure that threw him off his A game.

And one should know to never read YouTube comments about Bono. Uuuuughh.

That's just a good rule of thumb, period.

Yup, Youtube commenters are 1% genuine positive people commenting something thoughtful, and the other 99% little kids hating on everything they can find. Really, if you have any sense in you, why would you deliberately search for and watch a video of an artist you hate so you can comment shite on them? :cute: That totally makes you awesome guyz.

I uploaded a video of George Harrison singing My Sweet Lord years ago and it ended in religious bickering. :doh:
I ended up removing the ability to comment. There was no point. People are stupid in abundance, but anonymity seems to bring out the worst in them. Maybe that was the point of YouTube wanting me to link my facebook account to my YouTube profile. :no: thanks!

I watched the TED speech on the ONE site and not on You Tube. I usually don't read comments on any of Bono's appearances because I really don't care what some bored low lives full of jealousy and self-hatred are thinking about someone who actually gets up and does something.

Apart from that I think his speech was very good and fitting for TED. I've read a lot of comments on twitter from people who were there at the speech and from people involved in TED, but also from others who were very impressed. The important thing is to reach the right people. You Tube losers can think whatever they want.

Having Bono talking about statistics surely isn't the most interesting thing but it helps him to put forward his cases and be taken seriously by those who really matter. For TED, his speech was great, only a little fast because of the time limitations. I liked the graphics and I liked his speech. He's still the performer. I've seen better speeches by him but then again, the thing isn't a U2 show and not meant to make U2 fans happy, this stuff is about other issues, so I'm fine with it.

What I do notice, however, is that Bono and his work are mostly brought up in negative contexts here in the forum, it's mostly about other people hating on him or bashing him or posting stupid comments or about the media writing negative stuff and so on. There's a really strong tendency towards negativism which is a shame, because there's so much more to Bono and his work than that. For non-fans it must look like even U2 fans are only discussing the negative stuff on the forum which is sad.

I usually find his work and his speeches quite inspiring and I know a lot of people who do, too, but we're obviously not cynical enough to really take part in any "sophisticated" discussion about Bono or his political work.

Compared to the last decade, it *seems* that the media in general have grown a lot more apathetic toward Bono's activism. To a degree, I can understand that. An aging rocker quoting stats isn't exactly water cooler talk. Also, Bono seems to have been "frozen out" by the heads of state that once embraced him. Tony Blair and Bush looked for photo opportunities, whereas David Cameron and even Obama of late appear much less inclined.

True, this. Mentions of Bono and his activism used to be everywhere in the media and now there's not a peep about him.

This might be a crazy and outlandish thought, but maybe it's time to go back to being a rock star!

Btw, look at Bono LAUGHING about all of this :lol:

Bono - Most Influential Celebrities - Forbes

He's on Forbes new list of the world's most influential celebrities. Obviously having a lot of bad You Tube comments helps to gain a spot in that list. Or as we say in our country: Many enemies = much honour.
A little off topic, pardon me, but the beard on that picture is a no-no.

And yeah, perhaps an influential rock start, fighting for the end of poverty might get old, for the press, after some time, and that's why it's not all over the news anymore. Or maybe they're...just getting used to it, it's not that shocking anymore. It's a constant.
I liked the speech. Didn't even mind the stats talk, he tried to make them as interesting as possible.

i don't know, i haven't heard the speech but i wouldn't pay the slightest jot of attention to youtube comments :lol:

times are changing though, poverty is getting closer to home and things are feeling pretty precarious all around really so i wouldn't be surprised if people are tightening their belts and becoming more inward-looking tbh... i worry for young people here in Europe - what is going to become of them? there are no jobs, very little industry, nothing - it's a petrifying thought actually!

Back
Top Bottom