Bono's greatest studio vocal performances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone mentioned Promenade?

An incredible transformation for a vocalist who only 12-18 months earlier was screaming to the max on the War album.

I considered this one, beautiful vocal, so tender, angelic. This and Desire probably should have gone in my top 10, to be fair, the entire Unforgettable fire album could make it.

I'm going to toss this one song in-
because i kept hearing this part of it that I consider haunting (in a good way) in my head all over the weekend-
but didn't find that part in the Fallon Rooftop version so i checked on-line (not here @my old home puter- doesn't play vids usually) earlier today

Invisible- the full studio recording between 2:58 - about 3:30+

He drops his voice down into the mid-lower range in a softer voice repeating "...I will begin, I will begin a-gain..." then he slowly brings it up in into his higher range, stronger volume (there's a few "hallelujah's" before, during & after in there, too) till he's wailing away.... *shivers*

The determination of the song's character to reinvent them self!
So very exciting to hear him pulling this kind of stuff off even now!

I know it's a bit off an odd choice, and I'm totally not picking this to be contrarian, but I really love Bono's voice on the band's "Can't Help Falling in Love" cover (Triple Peaks remix) :drool:

New Year's Day
Drowning Man
Pride
The Unforgettable fire
Promenade
Red Hill Mining Town
One Tree Hill
Heartland
Walk to the Water
Luminous Times -> to me his best ever vocal performance
Night and Day
Can't help falling in love
One
So cruel

Basically 83-91, then nothing was ever the same (Still good)

1. Stay: Bono in his brief prime using all of his physical tools and intelligence for one of the greatest performances ever recorded. The delivery is nuanced and the characters in the song and the setting are brought to life in a way rarely done in modern rock. The melody is beautiful, but he doesn't blindly adhere to it, singing every line the same way. From Lou Reed style speak singing to prime Bowie soaring, Bono kills it.

2. Bad: The purity and size of his voice is amazing. Sure, he wobbles a bit, but any normal human being would have died. With lungs like that he could have been a pro cyclist (after losing a bit of fat, of course). His voice was so clear then, but of course it couldn't last, given what he was doing to it every night.

3. Your Blue Room: The character and richness of his lower register is beautiful. His delivery of the lyric is perfect. Like Stay it is very nuance, but he never soars. He stays in the shadows, watching the neon lights, maintaining the mystery and the mood. The control he displays is remarkable.

4. Hawkmoon 269: In 1988 Bono was one of the greatest rock n roll howlers of all time. This is his him at his righteous rock raging best. But he wasn't just howling! His voice was really dexterous; it was low and dark, it could soar with a bright melody, and most importantly it maintained its strength and stayed in key.

5. So Cruel: Maybe it's me, but this is one of his most deeply felt performances. You can feel his desperation growing, the lust, the conflict, the helplessness and despair in the face of certain destruction. Plus it has his best, most pure falsetto.

6. Always Forever Now: His voice had shed 10 years but he had the self control to turn a three word mantra into a manifesto. Ecstatic, intense, and relaxed. Incredible how he does so much with three little words.

7. Wake Up Dead Man: Not technically grand, and from the album where we had to get used to a diminished Bono, the vocal is great because of the emotion. Without resorting to histrionics, he perfectly conveys the sadness, doubt, and quiet rage of a crisis of faith.

8. Desire: A killer rock n roll vocal. He attacks the song and kills it with perfection.

9. Red Hill Mining Town: He does more with his voice than he should be able to. The development from the joyous lack of restraint of the Unforgettable Fire to the controlled use of his full range that we hear in this song is amazing.

10. A Sort Of A Homecoming: What was he thinking? Were the band and studio crew laughing their asses off at him? Why was he yowling like that? Probably because it was fun! He wasn't yet a singer, but the strength of his voice is astounding. When he draws out the "run" and twists it into a word never before said I believe the he is running over the borderland, running so fast he takes to the air.

This is a very very good, if perhaps a bit different, list. Bravo

because i kept hearing this part of it that I consider haunting (in a good way) in my head all over the weekend-
but didn't find that part in the Fallon Rooftop version so i checked on-line (not here @my old home puter- doesn't play vids usually) earlier today

He drops his voice down into the mid-lower range in a softer voice repeating "...I will begin, I will begin a-gain..." then he slowly brings it up in into his higher range, stronger volume (there's a few "hallelujah's" before, during & after in there, too) till he's wailing away.... *shivers* !

I can't for the life of me figure out what you are saying here.

Great thread! I'm a little late to the party, but wanted to comment on the original post: Love is Blindness. What I love about the vocals in that song is that they sound so vulnerable, which was a bit out of character for Bono at that time (I'd say most of his 80's singing was anything but vulnerable). Absolutely lovely.

One of my favorite examples of Bono's best studio voice is Slug. Smooth, sexy, effortless. So love that song.

I can't for the life of me figure out what you are saying here.

huh?
Almost everything in the 2nd part is quite clear....

however I was very tired and it was very late; so I will clarify the rest now in typed in red

Invisible... all weekend long I kept hearing what I considered to be a beautiful haunting part of that song in my head.
But when I rechecked the Fallon Show live rooftop vid it was not there < not checking here at home- my computer's rather old and doesn't play vids well/if at all- but a computer elsewhere; that's when i also saw again the full recorded version on YT.

He drops his voice down into the mid-lower range in a softer voice repeating "...I will begin, I will begin a-gain..." then he slowly brings it up in into his higher range, stronger volume (there's a few "hallelujah's" before, during & after in there, too) till he's wailing away.... *shivers*

The determination of the song's character to reinvent them self!
So very exciting to hearBono pulling this kind of singing even now at this latter part of his career!

I think these revsions make the rest of my comment clear :)

huh?
Almost everything in the 2nd part is quite clear....

however I was very tired and it was very late; so I will clarify the rest now in typed in red

I think these revsions make the rest of my comment clear :)

I don't hear any "I will begin again"s or "Hallelujah"s in any version of Invisible. What on earth are you talking about?

Maybe link to the song on YouTube or something.

Lol yea I think you might've been listening to Invisible, New Year's Day and Zoo TV Running to Stand Still while drifting off to sleep and merged them into one song in your head.

Kite - one of the greatest moments of 2000's
Running to Stand Still
Heartland
Gone
Red Hill Mining Town
Shadows and Tall Tress (L)

And I have to mention the best cover U2 ever did: Dancing Barefoot. Better than the original version, amazing vocals

10- Bullet the blue sky: Edgy Bono. The in your face anger makes this song.
9- Can't help falling in love: Really moody stuff that soars into orbit and back.
8- Kite: really brings the emotion here and I am no vocal expert but the maaan part floors me every time.
7- In a little while: Dont hate me guys but this to me is one of those songs that Bono sounds very different. The yearning in his voice fits the lyrics perfectly.
6- Stay: as some have said before, effortless brilliance
5- Bad: one of the best choruses of all time.
4- Lemon: what doesn't he do in this song? Superb falsetto.
3- One: Just listen to the many covers of this song and you will know each time that none measure up to the original because Bono is unique in what he does with this song. He has that ability to walk that thin line between just speaking and singing before letting us into the beauties of this song's melodies.
2- Trying to throw your arms around the world: love the interplay between edge's chimes and bono's restrained vocals. The rap-ish thing he does would have been an epic fail in this kind of song if done by anyone else I can think of. TTTYAATW is a tough choice to explain, it either grabs you or it doesnt. Best way I can describe it is it takes you places.
1- With or without you: for me this is U2. I know that it may have kind of diminished live and probably crossed diminishing marginal returns lines with a lot, but the studio version is U2 by the greatest numbers and Bono's si ging makes it what it is. All the other elements are fabulous but the vocals go from almost brutally suppressed angst to unbridled yearning and die out with that surrender of a falsetto. Peerless. Could have called this song orgasm and no one would have noticed.

Reserve bench:
God part II
Sometimes you can't make it on your own
Do you feel loved
Pride
Love is blindness

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

A couple B-sides worth considering:

Salome ... His voice just dripping with lust and self-loathing ... really suits the song.

Unchained Melody

I know it's a bit off an odd choice, and I'm totally not picking this to be contrarian, but I really love Bono's voice on the band's "Can't Help Falling in Love" cover (Triple Peaks remix) :drool:

Being completely honest here: My two favorite songs of all time are "The Unforgettable Fire" and "Can't Help Falling In Love" by Elvis. But, here's the thing...I actually prefer U2's Triple Peaks cover of Can't Help Falling in Love, so why is it that I don't ever just say that that's my second favorite song ever?

I have no idea.

There's your weekly check into the weird, wild world of Ashley's brain. Tune in next week for more!

Bono's "crystaline" note where he sings "stiiiiiiill" haven't found what I'm looking for is the envy of every singer.

I also like his Angel of Harlem vocal....especially on the bridge.

He had great attack on R&H. He wasn't always oversinging, but so much verve! I love the way he hits it in that scene of the film.

Being completely honest here: My two favorite songs of all time are "The Unforgettable Fire" and "Can't Help Falling In Love" by Elvis. But, here's the thing...I actually prefer U2's Triple Peaks cover of Can't Help Falling in Love, so why is it that I don't ever just say that that's my second favorite song ever?
Truthfully, the first time I heard that version I haaaaated it :no: Just sorta disregarded it, vastly preferring the live version, until my gf actually "rediscovered" it for me (she was compiling some sappy playlist and wanted to put a U2 track on there). I dunno what I was thinking before, 'cause I friggin' love that cover now :up:

EDIT: As far as the past 14 years are concerned, Bono probably most surprised me on Original of the Species--after ATYCLB, I kinda figured his voice was shot. But he just kinda goes all out in that song, completely demolishing my previous concerns.

Back
Top Bottom