Bono to perform at concert this friday!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know. The band sounds good, and Jay-Z's verse is good, but when Bono starts rapping? And all Jay can do is sit there and awkwardly say "Unh-huh" and "That's right." That wasn't too hot.

But that's just a one off live performance. A studio recorded collaboration is way different, obviously, and could be good I suppose. I love both artists on their own, I guess I'm just more curious than anything as to how this will turn out.

I don't know. The band sounds good, and Jay-Z's verse is good, but when Bono starts rapping? And all Jay can do is sit there and awkwardly say "Unh-huh" and "That's right." That wasn't too hot.

But that's just a one off live performance. A studio recorded collaboration is way different, obviously, and could be good I suppose. I love both artists on their own, I guess I'm just more curious than anything as to how this will turn out.

it'll be a U2ish song, and then Jay-Z will walk out and rap a verse. Rhianna will sing backup for the chorus.

of course I have no idea

From Rolling Stone:

Inside the Recording of Bono and Jay-Z’s Haiti Single “Stranded”
1/21/10, 3:51 pm EST
Bono wrote the hook for “Stranded” — his new Haiti benefit single with Jay-Z and Rihanna, which is subtitled either “Haiti Mon Amour” or “Haiti Mi Amore” — while on the phone with producer Swizz Beatz. “The idea of the song is ‘We’re not gonna leave you stranded’ and that’s what the chorus is,” Swizz Beatz tells Rolling Stone. “So me and Bono started going back and forth with ideas, and he was like, ‘You know this word stranded keeps standing out to me’ and I asked him to sing it, and he put me on hold ’cause he’s recording the ideas on a Dictaphone — so he did it there and then on the phone.”

Swizz Beatz got the song started by sending simultaneous texts to Jay-Z and Bono — but when they both called, he accidentally hung up on Jay while trying to conference them. After three hours of phone tag, they all agreed to the project, which came together in geographically scattered sessions, with extra production work by the Edge. “I knew that Jay would be able to tell a story, and that Bono would be able to sing and bring it home. The last component that I added was Rihanna, and she’s kinda like the angel that’s on the track, softening it up and giving it that caring feeling, because this hook is so powerful.”

The song will debut with a live performance on Friday night’s multi-network telethon for Haiti, and will soon be released as a single on iTunes, according to Swizz Beatz.

Hmm the itunes store ad for purchasing the performance lists just Bono and The Edge among the artists, not "U2". Still I guess they may not know yet and just be playin' it safe. :hmm:

Ah, same thing for the You Tube ad too.

What I want to know is where is...THE ROLLING STONES, NEIL YOUNG, RADIOHEAD, R.E.M.????????????????????????? AND OH YA, U2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what do you mean with this? Maybe they give a lot of money, not everyone is obliged to perform..

By the way, Radiohead gives a full concert with all proceeds going to oxfam haiti... how great is that!

The SBS performance with Jay-Z is downright awesome, and I generally can't stand rap. My expectations aren't awful for this thing, but, in the end, U2 hardly have a obligation to appease my musical taste in a fundraiser for a third-world country hit by a major natural disaster.

Also, what Radiohead are doing is awesome. Another reason for them to be one of my favorite bands. :up:

The SBS performance with Jay-Z is downright awesome, and I generally can't stand rap. My expectations aren't awful for this thing, but, in the end, U2 hardly have a obligation to appease my musical taste in a fundraiser for a third-world country hit by a major natural disaster.

Also, what Radiohead are doing is awesome. Another reason for them to be one of my favorite bands. :up:

Agreed!! And they do the show being in the middle of recording sessions... In Rainbows was AMAZING and I cannot wait for their next album.

Hmm the itunes store ad for purchasing the performance lists just Bono and The Edge among the artists, not "U2". Still I guess they may not know yet and just be playin' it safe. :hmm:

Ah, same thing for the You Tube ad too.

Can you provide a link to the You Tube ad? I can't find it ... :scratch:

that's cause u2 and rap, or more specifically bono and rapping, dont mix.

you're an irish white guy pushing 50. you aren't a rapper. don't even try. it sounds like shit (especially during an edge guitar solo :mad:) and you look silly.

just my informed opinion. :wink:

you're an irish white guy pushing 50. you aren't a rapper. don't even try. it sounds like shit (especially during an edge guitar solo :mad:) and you look silly.

I actually don't think it sounds that bad. Sure, he should never consider doing full-fledged rap songs (Breathe does have rap influences, but it's still more singing than talking) but it could definitely sound worse than it actually does. As long as he doesn't do it too often it's absolutely fine with me.

just my informed opinion. :wink:

I loved it on the tour, especially at the end of MOS and SBS. BUT then again I wouldn't call it "rapping". It's just B improvising. What it's supposed to do with age or race is simply beyond me. I just love the improvising and the emotional turn it gives to the song. I think Bono is quite good at doing that.

i think the last minute or so of MOS is the best musical section U2 has done in YEARS. i'd prefer bono not fucking it up with a bunch of half-assed improvised gibberish.

It's definitely not improvised, seeing as it was flying across the teleprompter at the Rose Bowl.

And that he seemingly repeats the same lines for the most part from SNL to the Rose Bowl and likely other places that he did it at too.

In spite of my low expectations, I'm kinda excited about this. It's a contrived idea and probably was tossed together in a matter of hours, but what the hell, it's something new.

My oh-so-optimistic guess at the lyrics:

Jay-Z: Unh...yeah (x ∞)

Rihanna: Ella ella eh eh hai hai hai Haiiitiiii

:bono:: Magni-StraaaaAAAAaaAAANDEEEED!!

Jay-Z: The ROC is up in this muhfuckuh!

:bono::

My conscience
My conscience told me to sing for you
I didn't have a choice
But to lift you up
And sing whatever song came to me first
I give you back my worst
On the news
Your cries were a saddening noise

Jay-Z: Uhhh yeah...uhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah

:bono:: Only cash...ooonnlly caaaaaassshhhh...can restart Haiti!

Jay-Z: It's the BMan and J-HOVA, bitches!

:bono:: Only cash...ooooonllyyy caaaaaaaaash...can heal all their scars!

Jay-Z:

I'm the god of the game
A motherfucking beast
Figured I could
Give something back at least
I was being a fucking genius
Sitting at home
I saw shit was going down
And nearly spit out my Patrón
So now we're out here
On the front lines
Re-writing songs
And having a good time
Donate some fucking money
Or I'll get aggressive
Like an earthquake
Or something less offensive

:bono:: Only cash...ooonnlly caaaaaassshhhh...can restart Haiti

Jay-Z: Only motherfucking cash, bitches!

:bono:: Only tragedy...unites our hearts!

Jay-Z: What he said, motherfuckers!

:bono: When we turned on the eye, we could only sit and cry...

Rihanna: You were STRAAAAAaaaAAaAaANDEDDD

It was being discussed in the Songs of Ascent thread, but at least we know this performance will most likely materialize. May as well keep it here.

i feel like i should be taking things out of my backpack right now

Back
Top Bottom