Bono, The Edge & Martin Garrix team up for EURO 2020

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It’s not horrible. Bono sounds pretty good actually. I have no idea what Edge did, but it was cool to see him standing around holding a guitar in the video.

I'm beginning to think bono was right when he said before they released SOI, does anyone need another U2 album. With the mediocre last 2 albums and this utter crap effort I would suggest we really don't need another U2 album.

I like it , I feared the worse when I heard they were doing a song with a young hip DJ. I expected it to be cringeworthy. But I was pleasantly surprised. It’s a good song and with the Euro connection it could be a big hit for them. It just feels like the right song for this moment in time and for the occasion. I think lyrically this is one of Bono’s best in years. I don’t get the “ where is the edge comments “ soon as the song starts I think of edge.

Do I want u2 to do music like this probably not but I’m still enjoying this song for what it is. A song of hope, love and community.

There’s just not A LOT of the Edge. Especially for being a featured artist alongside Bono, who is on the entire track. Edge seems kinda shoehorned in for marketing.

I wonder if there’ll be different mixes, possibly featuring more guitar. As it stands, this is probably Edge’s easiest payday. Good for him - he’s developed his own musical identity and should be recognized and compensated for it as much as possible. I wouldn’t be surprised if Garrix was given access to a cloud drive containing Edge riffs from over the years, chose this, sampled it, built the track around it.

All that being said, it bears repeating that this isn’t a U2 song and shouldn’t be held to (whatever) that standard (might be).

In comparison to other projects that only half the band has been involved with? Adam and Larry’s Mission:Impossible theme always wins that race.

Is nobody else confused how euro 2020 is upcoming

intro-1614695133.jpg

One of my pet peeves about new U2 music is that the vocals are much louder than the instruments typically. Makes it sound like Bono’s doing karaoke over a U2 cover band at points. This suffers from the same thing. Like his vocals are good, but they could get knocked back like 5db in the mix. Vocals, lead instruments, and kick/snare should be the loudest things in a mix, but they should be about even. And they haven’t been for U2 for awhile, or this.

i mean, there's only like two people in this whole thread who have actually said they think the song is genuinely bad.

I’ve heard worse EDM tracks. This one I guess is pretty simple. Bono sounds fine.

Exactly! I don't really expect much from "non-U2" songs. It's cool hearing Bono sing, of course. I start paying more attention when its a U2 thing.

I'm also a big Pearl Jam fan, but I don't have much Eddie Vedder stuff in my library.

Exactly! I don't really expect much from "non-U2" songs. It's cool hearing Bono sing, of course. I start paying more attention when its a U2 thing.

I'm also a big Pearl Jam fan, but I don't have much Eddie Vedder stuff in my library.

The song Eddie did for the Twin Peaks revival is one of my songs of the 2010s. Top 5 easily.

One of my pet peeves about new U2 music is that the vocals are much louder than the instruments typically. Makes it sound like Bono’s doing karaoke over a U2 cover band at points. This suffers from the same thing. Like his vocals are good, but they could get knocked back like 5db in the mix. Vocals, lead instruments, and kick/snare should be the loudest things in a mix, but they should be about even. And they haven’t been for U2 for awhile, or this.

But it’s not U2 music [emoji2]it’s Bono and The Edge with some DJ

In comparison to other projects that only half the band has been involved with? Adam and Larry’s Mission:Impossible theme always wins that race.

I love the original songs on In The Name of the Father, but the Mission Impossible track is a firm favourite.

Super Yo has a long history of being right about band things that happen before they happen.

I’m always happy when he posts.

I will admit that this is what I always imagined their retirement would sound like.

But still love hearing him sing something new.

This song is great for what it is. Calm down jaded folks! Let's enjoy a nice dance track with a positive message, a strong vocal, and a catchy beat. It's good.

This song is great for what it is. Calm down jaded folks! Let's enjoy a nice dance track with a positive message, a strong vocal, and a catchy beat. It's good.

If almost 30 years later, it still doesn't sound like Zooropa, it must be crap!!!11

Back
Top Bottom