Bono Solo Performance for "So Cruel"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are both amazing! I haven't seen FTSD yet, so I hadn't seen the Bono performance before. Perfection!:heart:

Hold up, where did that bono video come from? Is that some kind of downloadable content from the uber deluxe set?

Caleb8844 said:
Hold up, where did that bono video come from? Is that some kind of downloadable content from the uber deluxe set?

U2's official Vevo channel posted it, so it's a direct treat from U2 (i.e., their organization), I suppose.

That's fucking great. Wish it had been the whole song from start to finish. One of his best lyrics, ever.

The way he draws out and delivers the word "cruel" at the end of the chorus turns the song into some sort of "Visions of Johanna"-esque Bob Dylan twisted love song. Definitely channeling Dylan there.

Edge 1 Bono 0

I actually liked the version of So Cruel by the band that was on the edited film that we have already seen. It was raw and dirty with just enough spit to it. I was hoping to get that version.

I haven't seen this yet but I am willing to wager that Bono screws up the guitar chords.
He doesn't screw them up, but he still has that annoying habit of strumming as fast as he can during random moments. And, I don't know, but something about his vocals isn't doing it for me at this moment in U2's history. It's just a little 2 minute offering, so no biggie, but I feel these days that Bono is trying vocally to compensate for lost range (oversinging, if you will). I think his voice is still fantastic for a 51 year old, so he can just relax a bit and less the voice come out natural and with less "Ah-Ah-Ah's" and mannerisms, etc.

I thought that both were a bit crap. To me, it shows that the collective U2 is far better than solo U2.

Those particular songs just don't work in the acoustic settings, mostly.

And both are shortened versions anyway.

Amazing how something is considered "crap" simply because it isn't full band.

I love full band versions, but I'm also able to enjoy the stripped down versions.

I must say I enjoy Bono's version of "So cruel" more than Edge's version of LIB. Bono's phrasing and singing is great, even though (or because?) he improvises a lot. It's an interesting version. However, I would also love to have more full band versions of more AB songs as bonus material, but I'm happy with everything they give us as extra.

Edge's version of LIB is moving, but he just doesn't have a great singing voice, sorry to say. It becomes clear why Bono is the singer in the band and Edge is only doing background vocals. I've never been a big fan of Edge's singing but I think he's perfeclty harmonising with Bono, like in the Clinton concert that took place a while ago. As a solo or lead singer, Edge just doesn't have what it takes. Bono does, of course, because he has all the experience. Still, interesting, to hear Edge's version of that song, it's a totally different take than on the original.

Bono's not a good guitar player and Edge isn't a very good solo singer. Hearing them do these solo versions makes me realise why they are in the band and why the four of them need each other.

Btw, I love Bono's glasses :lol:

Well, I think Edge has got himself a very good and delicate singing voice. However, I doubt he'd be a good lead singer as last unicorn said. Edge's voice is a bit too sweet, he doesn't have the passion nor power in his voice that Bono has.

Edge's voice can also get a bit monotonous compared to Bono's. Every line Bono sings basically sounds different, which can be both good and bad at times but is overall more interesting to listen to. A background singer, however, doesn't have the same requirements. In that position Edge's voice works perfectly (and I do doubt Bono would do a better job as a background singer than Edge :lol:).

I don't mind the acoustic version of So Cruel, but I was also hoping for the full band version that there was clip of in the documentary. Sounded different and very cool. This acoustic version is basically what Bono did when he played it sparingly on the Zoo tour. I don't think it is bad, other just sounded more interesting.

So Cruel- one of my favorite songs, love this stripped down version. So very much not crap, but each to his own. Edge's LIB-for me, meh. It's nicely done, but like other have said, Edge's voice is so sweet that it lacks the soul that Bono has- and that's what attracts me to Bono's voice. Bono may f-up the lyrics, but really, I guess it is his lyrics to f-up if he wants. He makes you feel it though, so :up:

Well, I think Edge has got himself a very good and delicate singing voice. However, I doubt he'd be a good lead singer as last unicorn said. Edge's voice is a bit too sweet, he doesn't have the passion nor power in his voice that Bono has.

Edge's voice can also get a bit monotonous compared to Bono's. Every line Bono sings basically sounds different, which can be both good and bad at times but is overall more interesting to listen to. A background singer, however, doesn't have the same requirements. In that position Edge's voice works perfectly (and I do doubt Bono would do a better job as a background singer than Edge :lol:).
:up:

That So Cruel is pretty terrible. I like Edge's Love Is Blindness, though it pales in comparison to the full band.

U2 are not good with acoustic versions.

Regardless of the shaky performance, Bono's voice and the way he emotes the feelings in this song still give me the goosebumps and shivers here.

Hopefully they play this one and Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses together *full band* on the next tour. Horses especially, which is one of the more criminally underplayed songs in their back catalogue.

Back
Top Bottom