Bono’s young voice vs. older voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did anyone else see this thread title and immediately look for Peterrrrrrrrrrr's username? :lol:

The only thing that bugs me about the way he sings MLK these days is that he seems to have such a hard time finding the right starting note.

This topic always kills me to no end. The few most vocal posters have never actually performed a vocal much less a Bono vocal in their lives, yet their ears are sophisticated enough to understand what is going on in a vocal performance? "We set ourselves on fire" stronger than any 80s U2 vocal? Are you serious?

Even the recent NYD...yes, it's a great version, better than many of recent years. But listen to the verses before the "we can be one" - do you recognize what he's doing there, the technique he is using? It's different than how he used to sing it. It's not just about the notes being hit at 4:55 or whatever of a song, what about the rest of the song??!

And the All I Want is You example...watch the video again. Do you hear how he scaled down alot of the parts leading up to that final "yoooouuuuu"? He spoke the preceding verse for crissakes! That's dramatically different to the way he used to sing the ENTIRE song. You "save up" your voice for the end, and he does that with alot of the older songs now. This is not "better" or "worse" singing than before per se, it's just technically a smarter way to perform live.

Your Bad example is another one - he sings the song way more controlled than he used to and he does none of the old ad libbing or running around that he used to, so of course when he gets to the final wide awake sure he can ring it out a bit better, but for frig's sake it's nowhere near as powerful as the way he used to sing it in the song's entirety. That Washington video from 92...around 3:20 or so - he hit that chorus while being carried around by someone, and at some point during it the guy put him down! That means he had little control over his feet, his diaphragm (given that he had one arm around the guy's head holding on)...in that sort of physical position that chorus would be really hard to do! And yet he hits it.

Honestly Peter, not trying to get personal here, but you've been prattling on about the voice campaign for god knows how long now, and man I've got to tell you: your examples are not realistic, and you really don't have a freaking clue what you're talking about. Sorry man.

That's not to say that Bono's crap now, he's not, he's singing great if although a bit smarter and more conservative. When he was younger I doubt he even gave tour longevity or sustainability a second thought, but now he's more mature about it. He used to pull off these moments we now go 'oooh' over during practically every song, every verse, every chorus. He used to run around the stage possessed and climb shit regularly. Now he picks his moments, and for good reason, it's a good idea.

Completely agree, his younger voice was much richer than it is now. He hasn't been able to hit the final falsetto note on 'One' since Popmart, let alone trying to sing a whole song like 'Lemon'. Even 'WOWY' is so dumbed down now and sung with restraint it doesn't have the passion and explosive chorus it did in it's earlier days. The pure raw energy in 'Bad' is not there, and I am sure the state of his current voice is the reason so many great songs from the past such as God Pt 2, Hawkmoon & In God's Country will probably never make a full appearance.

I do like his current voice, but it really is nowhere near as beautiful to listen to as his earlier voice.

On a side note, I do think Edge's older voice is better than his younger voice. :wink:

Let me clear one thing up. I won't "not like you" for anything. We're having an intelligent discussion here and both of us are being reasonable, as is everyone else in this thread. I sometimes come off as touchy, and I'm working on that, but honestly, I appreciate the discussion!

Well, the double tracking and technology was not too advanced in the early 1980s for one, and U2 definitely got more complex in sound with AB and Zooropa. That more than anything else probably accounted for some of the double tracking and studio tricks. I will defer to people who know more than me about studios, but I don't think double tracks are all over the place on recent U2 albums. Besides, songs like Sometimes, NLOTH, MOS often improved live and there were no double tracks there.

We don't know what it changed to is exactly the point I am making.

I just feel that when we look at the eras as they have progressed, we arrive at a thick, powerful voice today. I know what you mean by thin, and I am not confused over what is thin versus what is straining.

To my ears, the "thin" argument applied during Popmart and to a much greater extent, Elevation. Not so much between 2003 and today. A lot of Bono's power has returned.

Does he sound exactly like he did in the 80s? No. In fact, though many here think I am a Bono 2010 voice nut to the exclusion of all else, there was just something to his tone that I can't really place that was unique to the mid 80s. I miss that. There was just something to his tone that I can't really place that was ENTIRELY UNIQUE to Zoo TV and I miss that too!

Is some power gone? Who knows, very well could be. I don't think there is a way to really quantify it and compare the numbers like baseball stats.

Magnificent vs Pride

Drowning Man vs Today

We don't know. Has Bono gotten into the studio and tried to replicate Pride with his 2010 voice? Drowning Man?

All I know is Bono has been singing Pride live the closest to the studio version he ever has in the last few years. Listen to the R&H version, he's not holding the chorus like he is now, and the power in the chorus that makes the studio version soar is not there.

If I am not being too much of an asshole here, which is far from my intent, I always enjoy the discussion, can you respond to a couple things if you get the chance?

1.)What do you make of tracks 1-3 on NLOTH?

No Line On The Horizon especially sounds extremely full and powerful. That one line "songs in your head.....rewiiiiiiind and replay...." especially. His voice soars on Magnificent. It has a similar anthemic, uplifting feel to Pride, but I would say that Pride is a much more difficult vocal. So its tough to say "do you see him hitting as full a note on this as Pride's studio recording?" Pride studio is easily in his Top 5 recorded vocals ever, from any era. Moment of Surrender shows off a different side of his voice, but is no less impressive. I think it has a richness not seen since the Zoo era, and he sounds pretty full when he hits the high notes.

2.)What do you make of songs like IWF, WOWY and especially NYD sounding closer and closer to how they used to sound in the 80s?

I know you talked a lot about double vocals, etc, but a similar question relates to live performances. I think Bono and everyone else have acknowledged the improvement in his voice by speeding up tracks like SBS, NYD, Pride and IWF.

To me, he still sounds powerful enough, far more powerful than from 1995-2002. And the songs I mentioned in question 2 sound closer to how they sounded in the 80s than they have since the 80s! Also, for what its worth, the way Bono belts out Glastonbury reminds me a bit of his JT era voice.

Sorry for the long post.

1) tracks 1-3 of NLOTH: Bono is making the most of what he has and puts a lot into these songs. By 2000s standards, not bad - maybe, and I mean maybe a bit stronger than on ATYCLB and HTDAAB but still much closer to those albums than to his 80s sound.

2) sorry, disagree. while I haven't heard too much 2010 stuff what I have heard sounds thin and worn - not really much better than from live performances earlier in the decade although he keeps perfecting his technique and learning to sing smarter and more technically correct which is probably the reason he hasn't had as many nights like '97 in Sarajevo where he has had big problems. I think him singing smarter is the reason. The analogy would be like a pitcher who has lost his fastball. At first after this happens he is lost and is no longer a good pitcher without it and gets hit hard and seems washed up. Then he learns to be a crafty pitcher and returns to winning games but NOT because he has his fastball / power back. He just learned how to pitch smarter and work better with what he has. Haven't heard Glastonbury.

This topic always kills me to no end. The few most vocal posters have never actually performed a vocal much less a Bono vocal in their lives, yet their ears are sophisticated enough to understand what is going on in a vocal performance? "We set ourselves on fire" stronger than any 80s U2 vocal? Are you serious?

Even the recent NYD...yes, it's a great version, better than many of recent years. But listen to the verses before the "we can be one" - do you recognize what he's doing there, the technique he is using? It's different than how he used to sing it. It's not just about the notes being hit at 4:55 or whatever of a song, what about the rest of the song??!

And the All I Want is You example...watch the video again. Do you hear how he scaled down alot of the parts leading up to that final "yoooouuuuu"? He spoke the preceding verse for crissakes! That's dramatically different to the way he used to sing the ENTIRE song. You "save up" your voice for the end, and he does that with alot of the older songs now. This is not "better" or "worse" singing than before per se, it's just technically a smarter way to perform live.

Your Bad example is another one - he sings the song way more controlled than he used to and he does none of the old ad libbing or running around that he used to, so of course when he gets to the final wide awake sure he can ring it out a bit better, but for frig's sake it's nowhere near as powerful as the way he used to sing it in the song's entirety. That Washington video from 92...around 3:20 or so - he hit that chorus while being carried around by someone, and at some point during it the guy put him down! That means he had little control over his feet, his diaphragm (given that he had one arm around the guy's head holding on)...in that sort of physical position that chorus would be really hard to do! And yet he hits it.

Honestly Peter, not trying to get personal here, but you've been prattling on about the voice campaign for god knows how long now, and man I've got to tell you: your examples are not realistic, and you really don't have a freaking clue what you're talking about. Sorry man.

That's not to say that Bono's crap now, he's not, he's singing great if although a bit smarter and more conservative. When he was younger I doubt he even gave tour longevity or sustainability a second thought, but now he's more mature about it. He used to pull off these moments we now go 'oooh' over during practically every song, every verse, every chorus. He used to run around the stage possessed and climb shit regularly. Now he picks his moments, and for good reason, it's a good idea.

Spot on.

I break up the years like this:

1980-85: Baby Bono

'86-'94: The best his voice has ever, and probably ever will, be.

'95-2002: A tad hoarse :reject:

'02-present: His renaissance period. He's "singing like a bird," so to speak.

But yeah, he's singing great now :D

I agree with this with one exception - I'd push the "best voice ever" era to include TUF and possible even the Red Rocks concert. As I listened/watched that show, it's like a transition occurred. Suddenly Bono went from a guy who sang to a true singer. His voice on songs like NYD and SBS was SO much better than on "War".

But it was with TUF that I really became a fanatic. That was the turning point for me. I wore out my TUF tape (yep, cassettes back then). Bono's powerful vocals are a major reason why.

He did drop off considerably, starting around '95. I recall seeing the Pavarottie and Friends concert with Bono and Edge. Even though "One" is meant to be a bit scratchy (fits the lyrics), Bono seemed to be in excessively poor voice - which was made all the move noticeable when compared to the great singers around him. The Bono of 1988 would have been perfect on that stage, but not of 1995.

Fortunately, as you wrote, he has come back very strong. My guess is smoking. For a singer, smoking is horrible - unless one doesn't care about one's voice. U2 songs demand a powerful voice - so Bono should be in top form. A few extra pounds might give him extra richness, so it's easy to forgive that. But smoking - bad... If he has finally quit, good. Proof is in his vocals and hopefully healthier life.

And to GVOX: I think Peterr's comments are merely meant to showcase how Bono can still sing and sing very well. But I know, based on Peterr's other posts, that even he loves the younger Bono best. He's just trying to show Bono still has it. But as a person very close to Bono's age, I can readily state that current Bono will have nowhere near the energy and power for entire shows night after night that the 1988 or even 1992 Bono had. One is comparing a 50 year old to a man almost half his age! For a 50 year old man, Bono is in fantastic voice! And that is Peterr's point. And, as I and others wrote above, this current Bono is possibly the second best I've heard him. Young Bono couldn't really sing, TUF to AB Bono showed great range (although there were the "Kermit" moments). "Pop" through ATYCLB Bono often was hoarse and scratchy (worse with ATYCLB than "Pop" era). HTDAAB Bono saw recovery and I think now he's at a level I haven't seen since the early 90's. So good job Bono! :up:

Are we still having this debate?\

I accept that singers often worsen with age and i cannot fault Bono for aging and for his voice becoming thinner.

Isn't it just common knowledge that his voice was better mid-80's thru mid-90's? I mean, come on...

I'm not knocking his recent efforts. Even on POP his voice was lacking (and i love that album)

There's nothing disrespectful about it. It's just (to me anyway) pretty obvious where his peak era lies.

1) tracks 1-3 of NLOTH: Bono is making the most of what he has and puts a lot into these songs. By 2000s standards, not bad - maybe, and I mean maybe a bit stronger than on ATYCLB and HTDAAB but still much closer to those albums than to his 80s sound.

2) sorry, disagree. while I haven't heard too much 2010 stuff what I have heard sounds thin and worn - not really much better than from live performances earlier in the decade although he keeps perfecting his technique and learning to sing smarter and more technically correct which is probably the reason he hasn't had as many nights like '97 in Sarajevo where he has had big problems. I think him singing smarter is the reason. The analogy would be like a pitcher who has lost his fastball. At first after this happens he is lost and is no longer a good pitcher without it and gets hit hard and seems washed up. Then he learns to be a crafty pitcher and returns to winning games but NOT because he has his fastball / power back. He just learned how to pitch smarter and work better with what he has. Haven't heard Glastonbury.

Well, I know you see where I am coming from and I see where you are coming from.

The only thing I really take issue with is you saying these are not much better than performances from earlier in the decade. I don't seem to see too many people here ready to even debate that Bono is much stronger on all of the warhorses now than he was in 2001.

Not trying to be a jerk, but these are the same? One of the two is not better to you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REQLm1cQ4hc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIt-oml0MLo

How about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm2fCn6g1wU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi6CgFBNZBg

or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cJuX7DtkgE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZKg2KkZBYA

And its been noted here and not just by peterr, if you do nothing else, look up some New Year's Day performances from this leg. They are much closer to the 80s versions than any tour since.

I agree with this with one exception - I'd push the "best voice ever" era to include TUF and possible even the Red Rocks concert. As I listened/watched that show, it's like a transition occurred. Suddenly Bono went from a guy who sang to a true singer. His voice on songs like NYD and SBS was SO much better than on "War".

But it was with TUF that I really became a fanatic. That was the turning point for me. I wore out my TUF tape (yep, cassettes back then). Bono's powerful vocals are a major reason why.

He did drop off considerably, starting around '95. I recall seeing the Pavarottie and Friends concert with Bono and Edge. Even though "One" is meant to be a bit scratchy (fits the lyrics), Bono seemed to be in excessively poor voice - which was made all the move noticeable when compared to the great singers around him. The Bono of 1988 would have been perfect on that stage, but not of 1995.

Fortunately, as you wrote, he has come back very strong. My guess is smoking. For a singer, smoking is horrible - unless one doesn't care about one's voice. U2 songs demand a powerful voice - so Bono should be in top form. A few extra pounds might give him extra richness, so it's easy to forgive that. But smoking - bad... If he has finally quit, good. Proof is in his vocals and hopefully healthier life.

And to GVOX: I think Peterr's comments are merely meant to showcase how Bono can still sing and sing very well. But I know, based on Peterr's other posts, that even he loves the younger Bono best. He's just trying to show Bono still has it. But as a person very close to Bono's age, I can readily state that current Bono will have nowhere near the energy and power for entire shows night after night that the 1988 or even 1992 Bono had. One is comparing a 50 year old to a man almost half his age! For a 50 year old man, Bono is in fantastic voice! And that is Peterr's point. And, as I and others wrote above, this current Bono is possibly the second best I've heard him. Young Bono couldn't really sing, TUF to AB Bono showed great range (although there were the "Kermit" moments). "Pop" through ATYCLB Bono often was hoarse and scratchy (worse with ATYCLB than "Pop" era). HTDAAB Bono saw recovery and I think now he's at a level I haven't seen since the early 90's. So good job Bono! :up:

Great post:up::up:

But I know, based on Peterr's other posts, that even he loves the younger Bono best.

This is a fact often stated by Peterr but just as routinely ignored by his detractors.

Really, you are not allowed to bring that up:wink:

But I know, based on Peterr's other posts, that even he loves the younger Bono best.

It was like that more before, the 84-86 is definitly my favorite era of the 80s. I think the most overrated tour in vocal is JT.

Dont get me wrong when I post about his current voice, I enjoy the 80s and the 90s voice alot, but I like his voice from 2006-2010 best :)

Who cares? Just listen to the music.

I don't know why it's so necessary to analyse every second of every goddamn note Bono sings.

In answer to U2 387's questions, no, I don't think there is a radical difference between the Elevation and 360 renditions of Pride, IWF, etc. Bono sounds less strained than he did ten years ago, but if we imagine a vocal spectrum bookended by Elevation and ZOO TV (and before), he's still nearer to the former than the latter. For me, the nearest he got to recapturing his old voice was on the fifth leg of Vertigo.

I fear for Bono's health hearing him sing on 360 sometimes. He sounds like he's about to collapse on all the rockers, and he even talk-sings the ballads on occasion.

Y'all crazy if you think his voice is powerful because he's shrieky sometimes (EG: opening line of MOS, all of Crazy Tonight remix). Lovetown Bono would have kicked sand in 360 Bono's face.
This, this and.......this.

In answer to U2 387's questions, no, I don't think there is a radical difference between the Elevation and 360 renditions of Pride, IWF, etc. Bono sounds less strained than he did ten years ago, but if we imagine a vocal spectrum bookended by Elevation and ZOO TV (and before), he's still nearer to the former than the latter. For me, the nearest he got to recapturing his old voice was on the fifth leg of Vertigo.

The difference is quite pronounced just in these videos.

Of course, maybe the overall sound of his voice is closer to Elevation than Zoo TV, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been dramatic improvement. Its really tough to not see that. SBS and Pride especially are night and day 2001 versus 2010.

No need to keep analyzing/arguing in circles about it, though.:wave:

Well, I know you see where I am coming from and I see where you are coming from.

The only thing I really take issue with is you saying these are not much better than performances from earlier in the decade. I don't seem to see too many people here ready to even debate that Bono is much stronger on all of the warhorses now than he was in 2001.

Not trying to be a jerk, but these are the same? One of the two is not better to you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REQLm1cQ4hc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIt-oml0MLo

How about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm2fCn6g1wU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi6CgFBNZBg

or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cJuX7DtkgE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZKg2KkZBYA

And its been noted here and not just by peterr, if you do nothing else, look up some New Year's Day performances from this leg. They are much closer to the 80s versions than any tour since.

The newer ones are somewhat better but I don't think the difference is that much. Also, Boston and Slane are known to be relatively weak vocal performances by Bono - even compared to other shows in 2001 - 2002. He was going through rough times then with his father dying and all. So I think those comparisons speak more to how he was having a really bad period then more than saying that he has a really great voice now.

One is comparing a 50 year old to a man almost half his age! For a 50 year old man, Bono is in fantastic voice! And that is Peterr's point.
That's not Peterrr's point. That's my big problem here. The point should be that for a 50 year old, he's doing very well. It should not compare him to 20 years ago, when he was significantly better. Peterr and others legitimately think he's better or as good as he was then, which is, for lack of better phrasing, complete bullshit.

I respect Bono. I think he's a great singer for someone who's 50. My issues with him can't be attributed to an aging voice; he's done great. I can't fault him for losing that richness in his voice. It's not the high notes. It's the strength of those middling notes, those notes you hear during the verses of Unforgettable Fire. He doesn't have that anymore. But he shouldn't. He's 50 and he's strong vocally for it.

But the idea that he's as good or better than he was is completely absurd and makes me frustrated.

Notice how Philsfan says he's done instead of explaining why he chose WOWY as his example when we all agree its not very representative and better versions from 360 and recently have been pointed out to him. Notice he's done instead of addressing my points about how Bono sings Pride, IWF and NYD today.....

I rest my case.
This is one of the funniest posts I've seen on this forum. Notice how PhilsFan laughs due to the humor.

Age really isn't a factor here. Actually, the voice gets better with time when it's well trained, unless you abuse it and don't take care. I feel Bono has improved a lot as a singer, technically, but I wouldn't compare the voice he has today to the voice he had 20-25 years ago. Of course, it was stronger and richer and had more volume, but he didn't know how to use it and basically abused it for many years which probably led to some damage. It's actually hard for me to listen to some of the older stuff, especially live recordings, because he's shouting so much and straining his voice so much, it's almost hurtful. He wasn't realls singing most of the time.

Today his voice seems to tire more quickly, but since they're playing only 2 to 3 shows a week this current tour he seems to be fine. Actually, his singing blew me away in Munich a couple of days ago. When he's having permanent practise and his voice remaines well-trained, he can be an amazing singer. He sings with much more ease today and doesn't sound as strained as he did on some tours in the past, especially Pop and Elevation. He seems to be taking better care of his voice now and really practise. Thus, his singing improves with every show.

I'm not an expert on singing and vocal training, but I was really impressed when I heard him live and also on the bootlegs. He has a very melodic voice that's technically great and very much under control, and especially the ballads are sung truly beautifully. On the other hand, I still feel that he's singing too high many times on the uptempo and rockier songs, which I don't like so much. I still wish he used his low register more often. One great thing that I really like about Bono as a singer is that he can sing songs from different genres and is very versatile as a singer - something most "rock singers" can only dream about.

Overall I love his current voice, even though there are many Bono "voice moments" from the past that I enjoy as well, all for different reasons. For me, a singer's voice has to appeal to me in a certain way and touch or move me, and Bono's voice does that, especially when I hear him live, that's the most important thing. I don't care much about the arguments young vs. old, I am glad he is able to touch people as a singer after all these years.

This is one of the funniest posts I've seen on this forum. Notice how PhilsFan laughs due to the humor.

So you laugh instead of addressing the things I posted that put a lot of holes in your argument.

As long as you've called others' attempts at pointing out the obvious(that his voice, though closer than anytime since, is not the same by any means, it is certainly not thin) "complete bullshit."

About your speed:up:

No need to keep analyzing/arguing in circles about it, though.:wave:

usually in circular argument at least one party is failing logic over and over.

I mean two people can say "I prefer his 1985 voice and you prefer his current voice, it's just opinion...agree to disagree" but to then pretend as if there is a standard for what "thin" means, as if it could ever be factually denounced is ILLOGIC at it's best. It's an adjective to describe the SOUND QUALITY of the voice.

How can you measure the sound quality of a voice?
I can't wait to hear about this...we can put an end to the entire discussion once and for all if this is true. (yes, dripping sarcasm)

Some people in this thread have pretty incredible ideas of what a "thin" voice is. And btw, "A Man And a Woman" thin? Uh, no...that's just not a thin vocal....parts may be strained, but that's not thin, and strained is not necessarily a bad thing either.

Some people in this thread have pretty incredible ideas of what a "thin" voice is. And btw, "A Man And a Woman" thin? Uh, no...that's just not a thin vocal....parts may be strained, but that's not thin, and strained is not necessarily a bad thing either.

I agree inasmuch as I like Bono's vocal on AMAAW but I don't think it is 'pretty incredible' to define Bono's post-97 voice as 'thin', given how lived-in it has sounded. A debating point, maybe, but 'incredible', no.

If Bono was singing like he did during 1984-1995, then everyone would be freaking out jumping in joy. No one would miss his current voice.

Yes, that's a generalization.

I fear for Bono's health hearing him sing on 360 sometimes. He sounds like he's about to collapse on all the rockers, and he even talk-sings the ballads on occasion.

Y'all crazy if you think his voice is powerful because he's shrieky sometimes (EG: opening line of MOS, all of Crazy Tonight remix). Lovetown Bono would have kicked sand in 360 Bono's face.

That first paragraph sounds a lot like Bono between 1997-2001.

And Lovetown Bono would tank his voice well before there'd even be a 360 Bono.

usually in circular argument at least one party is failing logic over and over.

I mean two people can say "I prefer his 1985 voice and you prefer his current voice, it's just opinion...agree to disagree" but to then pretend as if there is a standard for what "thin" means, as if it could ever be factually denounced is ILLOGIC at it's best. It's an adjective to describe the SOUND QUALITY of the voice.

How can you measure the sound quality of a voice?
I can't wait to hear about this...we can put an end to the entire discussion once and for all if this is true. (yes, dripping sarcasm)

Ok, let me show you how you are failing logic, then.

No need for sarcasm, just a few honest answers to honest questions here.

There is obviously no objective standard for vocal quality. No objective, measurable, quantifiable standard for art in general.

Refer to a certain scene in the movie "Dead Poet's Society" where Robin Williams has a student read a poem as he goes about writing an equation on the board. He does this to point out the uselessness of it in helping us understand artistic expression.

So you want to talk about logic now.

Lets do it.

I keep hearing from everyone in this thread how Bono's voice is "thin" now. When was it thick and full, you ask them. 1984-1993 of course. Well, I agree. Like I have said many times, I would take 1986 Bono over any year bar none.

Ok, no debate there. So lets go to today. Today, he is singing the songs, filling out the notes, minimal straining and its coming out clean and powerful. He is hitting the high notes with very little issue at all. Moreover, countless songs, NYD and IWF being the best examples, are being played and sung much, much closer to the original 80s versions than at any time since. Pride is another example, he didn't even sing it this close to the studio version on the Joshua Tree Tour!

So if he is spot on with the notes while singing the songs in a way that resembles 1985(which we all agree is the standard for full and thick) more than 1997 or 2001 or 2005 or even 1993, then how could it be thin?

Its all logic here. And anyone who is looking at it objectively and with an open mind has to be able to see it. There is obviously not an objective measure, but I don't see where an objective person with their head out of the sand could call Bono's current voice thin. Not if we are using the mid 80s as the comparison point. Its different, as I have said numerous times, but not thin.

If I made no sense, lets play a game.

Its called find the odd man out.

Question 1:

Sunday Bloody Sunday

A.)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O87DTMiBwC4

B.)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi6CgFBNZBg

C.)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJMdJX5_ylA

Question 2:

I Will Follow

A.)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REQLm1cQ4hc

B.)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRnRcIZ2IX4

C.)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLtIGUU2PtE

I don't care what anyone says, if you are not on drugs, there is a correct answer to these questions. The same could be done for Pride, which was a ballad in 2001 and is played much faster and sung much closer to the original today. NYD has been discussed extensively here recently- he wasn't singing NYD anywhere close to this good between JT and Vertigo. The only time he sang NYD better than today was 1983-1986.

In the case of Pride and I Will Follow, they weren't sung even close to this well in 1987. I Will Follow was much slower on the JT tour than it is today.

Some have said my Elevation tour examples are non representative, they're kidding themselves. Bono's vocal troubles and the tuning of the classics way down is common knowledge here and has been for quite some time.

Another place logic needs to come in. Do people think that the band was tuning these songs down a step or 2 or 3 because they felt like it? It was because Bono couldn't handle them with his voice at the time. Now they are back closer to the original as Bono's voice has improved. Logic should tell you, this is not a coincidence.

You and Philsfan still seem to think that I am sitting here telling you how, objectively, Bono's voice is better in 2010 than it was in 1985 and why. I never even said I prefer today to 1985, never mind said its better today. I am not trying to tell you what is better. That is 100% subjective. It would be crazy to suggest otherwise.

What I am telling you, and there is no denying it, is that Bono's voice, if we are using 1985 as a strong comparison point, is not thin by any reasonable person's standards.

And if you and Philsfan can't see that, then there's nothing I can do about it.

Back
Top Bottom