Bono’s voice: the definitive comparison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcfitz80

The Fly
Ok, I know what you’re thinking..another Bono’s voice thread. However without delving into the largely subjective debate, at least not in this first post, about when Bono was a better singer or when you or me personally think Bono sounded the best according to what YOU think is pleasing to the ear this comparison of Gloria, 1983 vs. Gloria 2005 demonstrates in a very clear way how the strength and power of his voice has changed over time. Notice I didn’t say which is “better” or even which one I prefer but maybe you can guess…

Now of course inevitably this will turn into a debate of “Bono can’t sing anymore” vs. “He’s sounded better in the 2000’s than he ever has”. However I think the bottom line is that being a skilled singer (which I think he still is) who can make the best of his abilities at the time doesn’t necessarily mean having a strong voice…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK34DVYsICY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkaI_8SUv4c

ok, not sure why Red Rocks shows up there twice. tried to edit it and fix it but it wouldn't change

pcfitz80 said:
Ok, I know what you’re thinking..another Bono’s voice thread. However without delving into the largely subjective debate, at least not in this first post, about when Bono was a better singer or when you or me personally think Bono sounded the best according to what YOU think is pleasing to the ear this comparison of Gloria, 1983 vs. Gloria 2005 demonstrates in a very clear way how the strength and power of his voice has changed over time. Notice I didn’t say which is “better” or even which one I prefer but maybe you can guess…

Now of course inevitably this will turn into a debate of “Bono can’t sing anymore” vs. “He’s sounded better in the 2000’s than he ever has”. However I think the bottom line is that being a skilled singer (which I think he still is) who can make the best of his abilities at the time doesn’t necessarily mean having a strong voice…

I think what makes Bono a great singer... is that he didn't start out as one. In the very beginning of their days (Feedback and The Hype), Bono really couldn't sing. But, as time went on his voice shaped into something incredible.

It's not that he is the best singer in the world, it's the fact that he puts so much emotion into what he sings. When he sings, you can tell he believes in the lyrics, and that is what moves people.

I remember watching an interview on Ellen where he said that he thought he sounded like a girl back in the days.

Smoking made his voice rougher, I guess.

I love his voice in any era.

meh. I think he's destroyed many songs in the 80's by over singing. How many fantastic versions of "One Tree Hill" are decimated by Bono's inability to shut it? Dude, let Edge play his nice solo, you can scream all over the next tune.

Von Schloopen said:
meh. I think he's destroyed many songs in the 80's by over singing. How many fantastic versions of "One Tree Hill" are decimated by Bono's inability to shut it? Dude, let Edge play his nice solo, you can scream all over the next tune.

THIS. But I hate it more when he TALKS during Edge's solos. It's a concert, not the dinner table.

corianderstem said:
"Okay, Edge, play the blues please pass the salt!"

Bahahahahaha... I remember watching this YouTube vid of a concert awhile ago, and Bono starts clapping and says, "Everytime I clap my hands a child in Africa dies"

Then this Scottish dude screams out... "THEN STOP FUCKIN' CLAPPING YOUR HANDS, YA EVIL BASTARD!"

Pretty sure I laughed for a good ten minutes.

I remember watching this YouTube vid of a concert awhile ago, and Bono starts clapping and says, "Everytime I clap my hands a child in Africa dies"

Then this Scottish dude screams out... "THEN STOP FUCKIN' CLAPPING YOUR HANDS, YA EVIL BASTARD!"

Pretty sure I laughed for a good ten minutes.

Guess it's too late to edit the original post about, you know, actually seeing this on youtube yourself....lol!!

Well, all those U2 clips and Bono myths, they all blur together.

At least you didn't say you saw a Youtube clip of Bono's hat flying first class. :wink:

Voice in need of healing:

bonoLA4-2001AC.jpg

Overworked worn out voice:​

"Stay (Faraway, So Close)" - Bono, The Edge on Elvis Costello's Spectacle - YouTube

U2 - Bad (Live Rattle And Hum) - YouTube

Well rested voice in a small venue:​

U2 Breathe, Get on Your Boots Friday Night with Jonathan Ross live - YouTube

U2 - Vertigo [Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony] - YouTube

Peak:​

U2-Desire Love Town Tour - YouTube

U2 - All Along The Watchtower Live in Sydney [HD - High Quality] Lovetown Tour - YouTube

U2 - Pride Rattle And Hum version - YouTube

They have great performances in all tours but often age, size of venue to overcome, and fatigue during the tour effect what performance you get. I'm sure Bono is doing some great singing in the Danger Mouse sessions.

The Clinton Foundation performance was a pretty good recent performance.

There's another thread where you felt Bono ruined Edge's solos in "One Tree Hill" - but if I recall, you were pretty solitary in that view. You were criticizing one of the best performances of "One Tree Hill" - and it was considered one of the best because of Bono, not Edge. Sorry... However, I do agree with you in that Bono would tend to scream a lot in the 80's, and that's shown here as well.

It's not really fair to compare a ~46 year old man to his former 23 year old self. Of course the younger version will have a lot more energy. Also, that 46 year old is well established and has gone on to do so much more. The 23 year old Bono had yet to experience the ridiculous fame of JT. He had yet to taste the backlash of R&H, the recreation of AB, the disappointment of "Pop", and the rebirth of ATYCLB. He had yet to win any major awards. He had not yet started devoting ample time to charities. In fact, he was essentially a newlywed with no children.

As one might expect, there is far more hunger in the 23 year old, but it doesn't mean the 46 year old doesn't care. Instead of screaming the song, Bono now sings it. What he lacks in that raw passion, he replaces with heart felt emotion, some light-teasing, nostalgia, and talent.

Plus, you have to remember that you are comparing one of the best versions of "Gloria" to a random performance. I bet we could scour the boots of 1982 and 83 and find quite a few "so-so" performances.

Both styles have their place and both suit their time frames. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want the now 52 year old Bono screaming out a song as he did nearly 30 years ago. It's like those older men who still wear their hair long and have tight jeans. Just doesn't seem to work. Nothing wrong with trying to look good or even look younger. Trouble is, they often look ridiculous. The same is true here - one should also embrace the present, not just cling to the past.

It's with that, I say I like BOTH performances. They represent two very different eras of a long-lived band.

There's another thread where you felt Bono ruined Edge's solos in "One Tree Hill" - but if I recall, you were pretty solitary in that view. You were criticizing one of the best performances of "One Tree Hill" - and it was considered one of the best because of Bono, not Edge. Sorry...

I like that song cause of Edge. Sorry, Edge is why "One Tree Hill" rules, not Bono. Bono almost sinks it.

Von Schloopen said:
I like that song cause of Edge. Sorry, Edge is why "One Tree Hill" rules, not Bono. Bono almost sinks it.

U2 as a whole is what makes 'One Tree Hill' amazing. You can't listen to it without Edge's guitar part, Larry's drum part, Adam's bass part, or Bono's lyrics.
That's what makes U2 great. You can't have one, without the other.

doctorwho said:
There's another thread where you felt Bono ruined Edge's solos in "One Tree Hill" - but if I recall, you were pretty solitary in that view. You were criticizing one of the best performances of "One Tree Hill" - and it was considered one of the best because of Bono, not Edge. Sorry... However, I do agree with you in that Bono would tend to scream a lot in the 80's, and that's shown here as well.

It's not really fair to compare a ~46 year old man to his former 23 year old self. Of course the younger version will have a lot more energy. Also, that 46 year old is well established and has gone on to do so much more. The 23 year old Bono had yet to experience the ridiculous fame of JT. He had yet to taste the backlash of R&H, the recreation of AB, the disappointment of "Pop", and the rebirth of ATYCLB. He had yet to win any major awards. He had not yet started devoting ample time to charities. In fact, he was essentially a newlywed with no children.

As one might expect, there is far more hunger in the 23 year old, but it doesn't mean the 46 year old doesn't care. Instead of screaming the song, Bono now sings it. What he lacks in that raw passion, he replaces with heart felt emotion, some light-teasing, nostalgia, and talent.

Plus, you have to remember that you are comparing one of the best versions of "Gloria" to a random performance. I bet we could scour the boots of 1982 and 83 and find quite a few "so-so" performances.

Both styles have their place and both suit their time frames. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want the now 52 year old Bono screaming out a song as he did nearly 30 years ago. It's like those older men who still wear their hair long and have tight jeans. Just doesn't seem to work. Nothing wrong with trying to look good or even look younger. Trouble is, they often look ridiculous. The same is true here - one should also embrace the present, not just cling to the past.

It's with that, I say I like BOTH performances. They represent two very different eras of a long-lived band.

Excellent post. And I agree- I like both performances. Different, but both well done. I'm happy to have recordings of early Bono, his voice fit the time, but I'm also happy he's evolved as a singer.

Its funny how Bono thinks he sounded like a girl in his earlier days because if you really close your eyes and listen, there's points where you can hear what he means. Bono really screwed up his voice during the late '80s screaming. A prime example of ouch is the Paris DVD show during New Years Day.

There's another thread where you felt Bono ruined Edge's solos in "One Tree Hill" - but if I recall, you were pretty solitary in that view. You were criticizing one of the best performances of "One Tree Hill" - and it was considered one of the best because of Bono, not Edge.

Nah, it's Edge's performance that is first and foremost the reasons why that version is so amazing to me. That guitar solo is completely crazy in terms of sheer passion.

Nah, it's Edge's performance that is first and foremost the reasons why that version is so amazing to me. That guitar solo is completely crazy in terms of sheer passion.

To be really fair, it is both reasons. But by the time Bono starts in with his inspired singing, it's near the end of Edge's solo. So nothing was "ruined. While I respect other's views, the thought that Bono "destroyed" this song is beyond my comprehension.

Has Bono rambled on at times - yes! There are plenty of cringe-worthy moments. But I imagine that's true for all of the best front men - times they say or do something only for it to sound or look ridiculous. However, that song wasn't one of them.

Its funny how Bono thinks he sounded like a girl in his earlier days because if you really close your eyes and listen, there's points where you can hear what he means. Bono really screwed up his voice during the late '80s screaming. A prime example of ouch is the Paris DVD show during New Years Day.

That singing is terrible, it realy ruins that songs :(

I cant stand the "Wide Awake" and "Let It Go" on those:
U2 - 1987-11-18 - Angeles - Help-Bad - YouTube
U2 Rare Bad Live 1990-01-10 Rotterdam - YouTube
U2 - Bad - Washington DC - 1992-08-16 - YouTube

It is just silly how much he screams, Im not against screaming. It nice with some here and there but not all the time.

And in all those Bonos voice threads there are always those who says that Bono isnt able to scream like that any more, but he is. Just listen to the clips from UTEOTW and MOS in this clip. But one thing is different on those, he screams but he also succeeds to go from scream and then turn over to hit the note clean.
Bonos high notes, vocal highlights from 360 tour era - YouTube

Even this is more nicer then all the screamin versions of Bad:
U2 - Bad - farm Club 27-10-2000 - YouTube

This is how Bad should be sing:
U2 Bad (360° Live From Rome) [Multicam 1080p By Mek with U22's Audio] - YouTube
And to me the Wide Awake in 7:18 is amazing.

I cant stand the "Wide Awake" and "Let It Go" on those:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yfRRuRD4h4
Seriously? That's the best Bono sounds, when he actually has some passion in his voice. There's a slight "scream" aspect to it, I guess, but it's mostly just him being into the song. He sounds way more detached in most performances these days (post-Popmart), coasting through half of the songs.

In addition, I always laugh at 360 Bad being used as an example in this context. On 360, probably more so than any other tour after Zoo, he used very very similar technique to the way he used to sing it in the 80s and early 90s. There is virtually no difference between the 360 Bads posted on this page and the 87 LA or 92 Washington versions. It's what made it great! He was actually singing it again. People should get their hearing checked.

In addition, I always laugh at 360 Bad being used as an example in this context. On 360, probably more so than any other tour after Zoo, he used very very similar technique to the way he used to sing it in the 80s and early 90s. There is virtually no difference between the 360 Bads posted on this page and the 87 LA or 92 Washington versions. It's what made it great! He was actually singing it again. People should get their hearing checked.
Precisely.

There are several different tracks you need to look at to compare the 80s/early 90s and 00s. One, oddly enough, is The Fly. While I think they are musically playing it better than ever, Bono's so lazy in the verses that he no longer even sings the melody properly. He sounds exhausted, and it's the second goddamn song in the setlist.

Another is obviously With or Without You. Again, he used to power through those verses with intensity in the lower register. Now he sleepwalks through it to the detriment of the song. This is not a melody issue. This is a passion issue. He is trying to undersell it to the point where it sounds like he doesn't give a shit at all.

I would also compare mid-80s Unforgettable Fire to the one on this tour. While he still can hit those notes in the chorus, the power in the verses is totally gone (from both him and Larry, who used to have a great beat on this song before neutering it on 360).

No one is questioning Bono's ability to hit the high notes. I'm questioning his ability to consistently hit those middle range notes. He doesn't seem interested in doing so.

Pfan consider your audience: You're talking to someone who thinks that the Farm Club Bad is better than the 80s Bad versions. :lol:

Yes I think its sound better singing it low then screaming it... And there are good 80s Bad versions:
U2 : Bad (Live Giants Stadium, New Jersey 1986) HQ 720p - YouTube

He hits "Awake" clean, sure there are screams but he dosnt do it like he do on JT/LT. I think his 86 voice was a lot better then 86-89. Just compare 1986-06-15 version of SBS to R&H SBS in vocalviews.

But dosnt matter what I write to you GVOX, you have always been a bit rude to me...

Precisely.
I would also compare mid-80s Unforgettable Fire to the one on this tour. While he still can hit those notes in the chorus, the power in the verses is totally gone (from both him and Larry, who used to have a great beat on this song before neutering it on 360).
7:08 in this clip is one of my favorite versions of UF. 2009-07-08 - Milan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEBmJhyLous

I think this was one of the best performances he sang of Bad on 360. He was hitting the "Wide Awakes" beautifully (6:00 :drool:) and he knew it because he didn't hold back on repeating them. I think maybe it was a more emotional performance for him since the man he wrote it about was actually there watching, and it shows. :up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuVXec5QxG8&feature=plcp

Wow, thanks! That was incredible!

Yes I think its sound better singing it low then screaming it... And there are good 80s Bad versions:
U2 : Bad (Live Giants Stadium, New Jersey 1986) HQ 720p - YouTube

He hits "Awake" clean, sure there are screams but he dosnt do it like he do on JT/LT.

Frankly, I don't think you really understand what's going on with his voice, the reverb+delay (and whatever else is sprinkled in there now) and the "awakes", across these different versions. There's essentially no difference in the technique between the LA one you first quoted, this one, or the 360 version that Bonocomet shared. He's not "screaming" the awake in the 87 LA version or Washington 92 version any more than he was on the 360 version or the 86 NJ version.

I'm not saying that he didn't scream more in the 80s, that much is accepted fact. But your examples of Bad don't prove this point, period.

And there is no way in hell the Farm Club is better than the 87 or 92 Bads. Just no frickin way, not even subjective. It's not a good vocal at ALL, not by any standard, certainly not Bono's.

I don't think it's an unfair comparison. I think it's a bit unusual just how much his voice has weakened and changed. Yes, I know it was Red Rocks but I think that is still pretty representative of how he sounded at the time even though some nights I''m sure were not as good. And yes, of course he's aged but how many other singers who sounded as strong as he did did at 23 had lost THAT much by their mid 40s? I mean gosh..even Freddy Mercury sounded stronger in his 40s 6 months before he died. Anyway, I know a lot of people find something appealing about his world weary voice of the 2000s but I just think it's kind of too bad that he sings the way he does now not because he chooses to but because that's all he has left. Still, I'm glad their still making music and I admire him for adapting as best he can to his limitations.

Back
Top Bottom