Bono’s voice: the definitive comparison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cutting through all the bullshit here, I'll just co-sign this post:

Regardless, I think it's legitimate to say that Bono coasted in the late 80s in the sense he screamed constantly and didn't work to develop technique around screaming. Was his singing deliberate and very full of effort? Sure. But in a sense, it was still coasting. I also think it's legitimate to say that Bono coasts a lot now for not belting things out constantly. He is much more careful and calm and maybe that makes things more boring. He coasted in the 80s and he coasts now, but it's on two different things.

This is why neither of us could quite agree on what "coast" means; there is no one meaning in the context of this discussion. It's either a lack of physical effort or putting little effort into improving technique.

Personally, I don't think it's factual to say that Bono "constantly screamed" in the late 80s. It's also not factual to say that Bono always sounds like he's tired on stage. It's a preference thing. I vastly prefer his former style, and that's it, really. I've had this debate so many damn times and never convinced anyone to change their position. How could I? Sometimes I've just got to tell myself "forget it, self; it's the internet."

No, and that's sort of the point. He sings fairly well for a guy his age, not very well. He sounded better in the 1980s, technique be damned. That's the whole point. I'm not arguing about technique. I'm arguing about what sounds better.

Bono sounded better in the 1980s, and people who suggest he sounds better now are full of it. It's literally the only thing that brings me back to this section of the forum: trying to debunk this insane myth that Bono's better than ever right now.

What sounds better is, in the vast majority of cases, subjective.

Unless we're talking extremes like Pride in Sarajevo versus Pride 1984 Dortmund or SBS Red Rocks versus SBS Elevation.

That's what you still don't get.

People can have whatever opinion they want, and no one is more valid than the other.

People are more than welcome to say he sounds better now than at some point in the 80s and tell us why, and they shouldn't be told they're full of it.

Nor should they be subjected to arrogant and condescending posts like the ones you always write on this topic.

Throw the subjective aside and listen to Bono's voice. There is still plenty of power, passion and range in Bono's voice today, there is no objective way to measure that, obviously, but it's certainly not significantly weaker or thinner.

Different? Sure

Capable of producing disagreement on whether 84-86 or 87-89 or 91-93 or 06-present sound best? Sure.

But the videos I posted represent consistent performance levels over the 360 tour.

The clips Peter posts, though he is accused of cherry picking, can actually be duplicated in many different bootlegs. They're not unrepresentative of how Bono sounds these days.

That's why the original post in this thread is so hypocritical.

Peterr is crucified(no I don't agree with him on everything either), and I mean, really raked over the coals here and quite personally, for his clips that he goes through great effort to find.

Then someone makes 1 post with the Red Rocks and San Diego Gloria videos and tries to declare victory in the entire debate.

If anyone thinks Bono is any less than 90-95% of the singer he was at any other time in his career, then I'd suggest looking at more 2006-present performances as well as listening to some other older lead vocalists.

Whatever conclusions drawn, well those are your own and that's fine, but I know I and many other long time fans who follow all eras of U2 are plenty confident in Bono's abilities today.

For what it's worth, if you step away from the blue screen and into magazines or newspapers, you'll always hear detached people who write about many signers comment on Bono's energy, intensity, passion and overall vocal ability.

Can I pop in and say I much MUCH prefer Bono's voice today to his 80's voice any day? :hmm:

I've read and followed all the threads/discussions/arguments here over the years because I like to hear out other people's opinions, but I still prefer his voice now. I just think he sounds so much better now. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. And it also doesn't matter if anyone else thinks he sounds better in the 80's. It's all good. :D
I think. :shifty:

absolutely not true. As a matter of fact, it was the other way around. I don't know what you're listening to in order to get to that conclusion! :lol:

Yah see Phiilydood. This is how you disagree. Saying everyone who feels different than you is "full of it" is really, really, really, really, really, poor form.

This is how you do it.

Von Schloopen said:
Well, we're comparing the live versions, from 360 and ZooTv. Not live versions and the album cut.

We've agreed more often than not but on this one you are completely out to lunch. No way in hell he is singing Ultraviolet better on 360 than he did on Zoo. For crissakes, he doesn't even sing a good portion of the song on 360!! Pass me whatever it is you're smoking!

Can I pop in and say I much MUCH prefer Bono's voice today to his 80's voice any day? :hmm:

Don't let phillllly person see this. You're wrong. He can barely stand to come here and tell you how wrong you are.

and people who suggest he sounds better now are full of it. It's literally the only thing that brings me back to this section of the forum: trying to debunk this insane myth that Bono's better than ever right now.

Von Schloopen said:
at least get the argument right. You couldn't even do that. And you're all on about how I'm using words wrong.

The whole string of posts is available to you. Read them. Then interject.

We're arguing corn futures and you come in with some rant about how your sneakers smell.

sort it out.

What the hell are you talking about?

Von Schloopen said:
Again, we were comparing the live versions, from 360 and ZooTv. Not live versions and the album cut.

And in my second post I did compare 360 and ZooTV so I am not sure why you are stating this again, other than to be difficult.

gvox said:
We've agreed more often than not but on this one you are completely out to lunch. No way in hell he is singing Ultraviolet better on 360 than he did on Zoo. For crissakes, he doesn't even sing a good portion of the song on 360!! Pass me whatever it is you're smoking!

He's not the only one. I feel the same way. I like Bono's singing on the 360 version of Ultraviolet better than on than the ZooTV version of Ultraviolet. They both handle the song very differently. To me, his ZooTV singing sounds smooth and perfect, while his 360 singing sounds tortured and desperate, but in a good way. I prefer the latter interpretation for the song, but only by a small margin. ZooTV performances were still amazing. And it's my favorite song ever.

As long as there are U2 fans these debates are just gonna keep rumbling on.

I'd just like to echo LemonMelon on the view that Lovetown often gets a hammering for being the tour where Bono didn't bother singing and just screamed at the audience for 2 hours every night. Just check out pretty much any version of I Still Haven't Found or Running To Stand Still or All I Want Is You and you'll hear a man who contrasts the light with plenty of shade, who knows when to reign it in and when to unleash. Better still, check out all the studio takes on R&H, I'd seriously argue that he's never sounded more confident as a vocalist than on the likes of Desire, Angel of Harlem and especially When Love Comes To Town. There's absolutely no fear there, he's got every base covered.

For me, R&H and Lovetown represent the most-evolved point for Bono's vocals. You can actually hear the development of his voice throughout that decade, he just becomes more and more accomplished as the era unfolded, it's a completely logical progression, unlike the 90's where the exact opposite happened. Let's not forget that as spectacular as he was on ZOO TV, he developed the falsetto partly as a way to avoid having to really go for the big notes, it's fine for a tune like Lemon, but in the context of something like Bad it makes no sense at all. The downturn in range started as early as 92, maybe even 91.

I don't take Bono's exhaustion on stage these days as a sign that he's pushing himself to the limit, I take it as a sign that he simply finds the actual act of singing a lot more difficult now. As he's apparently improved his whole approach and technique towards singing, surely he should be finding it all a little more effortless, and I don't necessarily mean high notes, if anything it's some of the stuff more towards his middle and lower range which is inconsistent and erratic. The sort of thing he used to just cruise through.

I understand that many people prefer his modern-day voice, but for me the huge, dynamic swings in emotion and passion he was able to wield through his voice in the 80's were a big part of what made U2 such an exciting live act and I'm sure it's a major reason why tunes like Pride, SBS, WOWY, ISHFWILF and a shed-load of others remain more popular with casual fans than pretty much anything post AB.

I like Bono's singing on the 360 version of Ultraviolet better than on than the ZooTV version of Ultraviolet. They both handle the song very differently. To me, his ZooTV singing sounds smooth and perfect, while his 360 singing sounds tortured and desperate

This is pretty ironic, given that he's much closer to "screaming" on Ultraviolet 360 and much closer to "singing" on Ultraviolet Zoo..but hey, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good theory! :huh:

As long as there are U2 fans these debates are just gonna keep rumbling on.

I'd just like to echo LemonMelon on the view that Lovetown often gets a hammering for being the tour where Bono didn't bother singing and just screamed at the audience for 2 hours every night. Just check out pretty much any version of I Still Haven't Found or Running To Stand Still or All I Want Is You and you'll hear a man who contrasts the light with plenty of shade, who knows when to reign it in and when to unleash. Better still, check out all the studio takes on R&H, I'd seriously argue that he's never sounded more confident as a vocalist than on the likes of Desire, Angel of Harlem and especially When Love Comes To Town. There's absolutely no fear there, he's got every base covered.

For me, R&H and Lovetown represent the most-evolved point for Bono's vocals. You can actually hear the development of his voice throughout that decade, he just becomes more and more accomplished as the era unfolded, it's a completely logical progression, unlike the 90's where the exact opposite happened. Let's not forget that as spectacular as he was on ZOO TV, he developed the falsetto partly as a way to avoid having to really go for the big notes, it's fine for a tune like Lemon, but in the context of something like Bad it makes no sense at all. The downturn in range started as early as 92, maybe even 91.

I don't take Bono's exhaustion on stage these days as a sign that he's pushing himself to the limit, I take it as a sign that he simply finds the actual act of singing a lot more difficult now. As he's apparently improved his whole approach and technique towards singing, surely he should be finding it all a little more effortless, and I don't necessarily mean high notes, if anything it's some of the stuff more towards his middle and lower range which is inconsistent and erratic. The sort of thing he used to just cruise through.

I understand that many people prefer his modern-day voice, but for me the huge, dynamic swings in emotion and passion he was able to wield through his voice in the 80's were a big part of what made U2 such an exciting live act and I'm sure it's a major reason why tunes like Pride, SBS, WOWY, ISHFWILF and a shed-load of others remain more popular with casual fans than pretty much anything post AB.

:up:

While I still prefer Bono's voice now to much of the 80's, I'm going to take back a little of what I said before about preferring it "any day", because I do agree that he was fantastic during Lovetown. By the end of the decade he was much much better. I guess what I should say is that I prefer his voice now, to the whole of the 80's.

gvox said:
this is pretty ironic, given that he's much closer to "screaming" on ultraviolet 360 and much closer to "singing" on ultraviolet zoo..but hey, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good theory! :huh:

I TAIGGGHHEEED MMAAHHHSEEELLFFF WITTT WlAHAIAH

This is down to personal taste. Some prefer 80's vocals, some prefer 00's vocals.

The irony of fans of "technique" that almost ruined his career accusing non 80's Bono singing as screaming never gets old.

edit : the comparison of a 50 year old, smoker, with the 20 years younger singer is off base. However, consider the difference between Vertigo-360 with something more recent like Elevation or Popmart. Why the complaints ? If he can stay at this level, with the occasional peak a la Union Chapel vocals, bring it on.

gvox said:
This is pretty ironic, given that he's much closer to "screaming" on Ultraviolet 360 and much closer to "singing" on Ultraviolet Zoo..but hey, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good theory! :huh:

I actually realized this as I was typing it, and thought about it a bit. I still think that Bono is far more in control of his voice during 360 Ultraviolet than when he screamed in the late 80s. But when it comes down to it, this is my personal preference, and I suppose some deviations from the general pattern of what I like may exist.

You can't compare the different periods. This is just like Elvis Presley's three different decades of career which showed three completely different kinds of voice. In Bono's case, the 80s were punk rock, the 90s were trance music, and the 00s are folk rock, in my opinion. All three are fookin amazing.

DGP00666 said:
You can't compare the different periods. This is just like Elvis Presley's three different decades of career which showed three completely different kinds of voice. In Bono's case, the 80s were punk rock, the 90s were trance music, and the 00s are folk rock, in my opinion. All three are fookin amazing.

I most definitely agree.
Bono's voice couldn't stay the same forever... It matured as he did, and as the music did. Who knows if his voice would have stayed the same if he quit smoking. Probably not. I know for a fact, though, that Bono likes his voice NOW better than back in the 80's. He thinks it sounds more 'masculine' Plus, like lots of other said, he's alot older now, and his vocal range has changed.

Personally, I never liked his high falsetto voice or 'screaming' (ie Lemon).
I think Edge does a much job with the falsettos.

Really, it all boils down to personal opinion. Some people will always think he sang better in the 80's... some prefer now. *shrug*

TheBlueAcrobat said:
'screaming' (ie Lemon).

Hmm. I think Lemon is about the peak of Bono's falsetto abilities, and it's definitely not 'screaming'.

And to add, I prefer Bono's current voice to his 80's voice. Not saying his 80's voice wasn't any good, I just like his voice better now. His ZooTV voice was the best sound I have heard, though.

So. Screaming was easy for Bono in 1989. So, he did it all the time. He did it over Edge's solos, over entire outros of tune, intros of tunes, etc.

Screaming is HARD for Now Bono. He needs to pick his spots. And he does.

For crissakes, he doesn't even sing a good portion of the song on 360!! Pass me whatever it is you're smoking!

What? He sings substantially more of the tune now than he did in 1992. He completely took the entire chorus, which was left to Edge in 92/93.

Globo14 said:
His ZooTV voice was the best sound I have heard, though.

:up: not much has been said about his 90's voice, probably because it went to hell in the second half of the decade, but if I had to pick a favorite era of Bono's voice, it would be 90-95ish. I like 'em all, though :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom