Bono Remembers David Bowie: 'He Is My Idea of a Rock Star' | Rolling Stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"It's more art, I shouldn't like it." Fuck off Bono.

It's such a weird statement coming from the guy that went to Berlin simply because Eno made some incredible music there with Bowie. Very, very artsy music at that.

Last edited:
Oh my God, isn't one thread of bitching about a comment enough?

He said,

I like Bowie when he’s evenly pulled in the direction of being a pop star and Picasso, where he’s right down the middle. That’s usually my favorite, when the songwriting is disciplined but the recording is not. I love when he’s pulled equally in the directions of art and populism. Blackstar is much more art, so I shouldn’t like it as much as I do. But I really loved it. And so did my daughter Jordan.
I don't get what's hard to comprehend. He set a clear definition of what he likes out of Bowie.

Because he used the word "more art" you're dismissing him as though he whined, "it's too arrttsssyyyy" like a teenager or something. This isn't a simple one word throwaway comment.

If I had to guess, and I'm obviously not Bono, so I don't know, but if I had to guess, he probably heard "Blackstar", thought the album was going to be a lot more like his early 90s stuff, and had some trepidation, but when the whole thing was laid out, understood it for what it was and loved it.

This is not some huge scandal. He just doesn't like certain Bowie albums. Pretty sure that's how everyone feels about Bowie. There are little things we like and little things we don't. He's the most versatile musician we will likely ever see. I'm not shocked to see someone has a kind of Bowie they don't care as much for.

All of which is to say that the rest of the article is beautiful and overlooking it to pick on Bono, again, is silly. It's very, very silly.

If you think our comments are cruel, don't look at the actual comment section.

I think your comments are silly.

And I'm an adult who grew up on the Internet. I know better than to read comments sections. Let me guess, something something, Bono is Crap, something something.

"It's more art, I shouldn't like it." Fuck off Bono.

To be quite honest, this was my first reaction as well... along with things like "I'd take Blackstar over SoI any day" and "U2 can create absolutely incredible music when they're not obsessed with a futile attempt to reach out to the kids".

But really, this is a nice little tribute by Bono. And we're lucky to still be getting good albums and great tours by U2.

I think your comments are silly.

And I'm an adult who grew up on the Internet. I know better than to read comments sections. Let me guess, something something, Bono is Crap, something something.

Bono doesn't pay his taxes, Bono is part of the Illuminati, Bono is a sell out, Bono can't ride a bike, Bono ruined my life, Bono burned my house down, yadda yadda yadda

There's a review out there that says something along the lines of Blackstar linking Bowie even stronger to Scott Walker, but with more melody.
I sort of agree with this and when listening to Blackstar I sometimes wonder whether I would have preferred it more melodic or even more "Scott Walker-ish".
Bono seems to be in the more melodic camp.

Back
Top Bottom