Bono On The Daily Show - 11.30.11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A user within this thread apparently received an honorary M.D. degree.

Which gives him the absolute advantage over anyone else in this planet to discuss, explain, and thoroughly understand (and treat) back injuries.

U2 should have played in Moscow in January. That would have been smart. They might have had dozens of people show up, including their crew.

You don't seem to understand back injuries, AT ALL.

I know that he couldn't move his lower leg in May 2010. He was clearly having difficulty in September 2009 during the dates in Tempa. He was holding himself. I don't think you've understood my question. Please answer my questions from my post

Cactus Annie we are both on the Crazy team but i have no idea what that statement means.

I was responding to a comment by LastUnicorn when she said that his family wouldn't be too pleased if the band made the decision to postpone his back surgery so they could re-schedule the tour.

Rock 'n' roll isn't life and death. How do you think the families of soldiers in Afghanistan cope?

Dfit00 said:
A user within this thread apparently received an honorary M.D. degree.

Which gives him the absolute advantage over anyone else in this planet to discuss, explain, and thoroughly understand (and treat) back injuries.

Are you a happy man?

I do think that the definition of major surgery is different within the UK health system than in the US. You said what Bono had major surgery didn't you? Well in the UK that means that it took over 2 hours to perform and just like being in a coma causes various levels of irrevesible brain damage, my mum told me once that every major surgery weakens the heart. Is that what you want? Bono to have a weakened tinker? Do you really like him to have to take a cocktail of drugs to prevent a heart attack?

I'm not a happy man BVS, my life is miserable, depressing, and full of suffering, especially around the area where I live... :rolleyes:

Cactus Annie said:
I know that he couldn't move his lower leg in May 2010. He was clearly having difficulty in September 2009 during the dates in Tempa. He was holding himself. I don't think you've understood my question. Please answer my questions from my post

How many people do you know that get preventative back surgery?

The injury he had in 09 doesn't necessarily mean it was going to lead to a ruptured disk.

Cactus Annie said:
I do think that the definition of major surgery is different within the UK health system than in the US. You said what Bono had major surgery didn't you? Well in the UK that means that it took over 2 hours to perform and just like being in a coma causes various levels of irrevesible brain damage, my mum told me once that every major surgery weakens the heart. Is that what you want? Bono to have a weakened tinker? Do you really like him to have to take a cocktail of drugs to prevent a heart attack?

None of this is true.

Could you be that person that I could talk to?

Since you know everything there is to know about back injuries, you could probably help me out with your high level of professionalism as a psychotherapist.

But he was stiff. His physio that he'd undergone over the past 8 years clearly hadn't worked. If that was my mum I'd suggest that as she had tried everything then maybe the only option left would be surgery.

If Bono was still like that he'd be stiff like a bench. There are many playground rides that he would miss out on. I've seen pictures of him in PLEBA when he and his crew visited Disneyland Paris. How would he feel if he couldn't even ride on the teacups let alone Space Mountain? You couldn't even go on the dodgems. You couldn't go on anything. He'd be unable to carry the shopping, boxes or move furniture. He'd hate to see a female who's physically stronger than himself

None of this is true.

Really? I do hope you're right BVS. I've been worried about this. I did say to mum that bit of information maybe incorrect. She said she heard a surgeon said on a documentary once. I don't know when she heard it but I did try to tell her that over time memories of what exactly was said under what context can fade. On another medical reality/documentary last year a dr told a patient that surgery do remove an unusual but harmless large growth on her belly that made her look pregnant is a major procedure. Her condition was not life threatening or impeding her quality of life other than she felt self conscious about it. The dr warned her that the surgery could be life threatening as it was major surgery. Thankfully the surgeon said that she's a very fit lady and nothing terrible happened during surgery. What do you make of this anecdote?

I do know that spending any length in a coma does cause brain damage. Kay Jamison said that in her book An Unquiet Mind. She's a Psychiatrist herself.

Do you think surgery to remove cataracts or an appendices is major surgery?

Dfit00 said:

Since you know everything there is to know about back injuries, you could probably help me out with your high level of professionalism as a psychotherapist.

Nope, never worked in the psychotherapy industry.

Sorry.

Are you talking about BVS? If BVS was a surgeon the patient would surley die due to excessive questioning on the operating table.

Cactus Annie said:
But he was stiff. His physio that he'd undergone over the past 8 years clearly hadn't worked. If that was my mum I'd suggest that as she had tried everything then maybe the only option left would be surgery.

If Bono was still like that he'd be stiff like a bench. There are many playground rides that he would miss out on. I've seen pictures of him in PLEBA when he and his crew visited Disneyland Paris. How would he feel if he couldn't even ride on the teacups let alone Space Mountain? You couldn't even go on the dodgems. You couldn't go on anything. He'd be unable to carry the shopping, boxes or move furniture. He'd hate to see a female who's physically stronger than himself

He can't ride Space Mountain? How horrible!!

Cactus Annie said:
How can you say it hadn't worked? The man went on tour, he had moments of high activity where it didn't seem to impede. What doctor in their right mind is going to prescribe back surgery to someone like that?

I actually am an MD. I'm a pediatrician, not an orthopedist, but had to study orthopedics all the same as a medical student, and deal with orthopedic issues in kids since then. I spent 7 years studying medicine between medical school and residency, and the batshit whackadoo crap in this thread is just fucking insulting. It's not a lack of knowledge, but rather plain old ignorance. It's the kind of thing where 1). a lack of knowledge is combined with 2). a lack of common sense and 3). a lack of respect for the people and topic being discussed--#3 being the most insulting--and wrapped up to fit a warped worldview consistent with schizophrenics, uneducated UFO/watertower-shooting conspiracy theorists, and people just posting to yank everyone's chain. Reading this person's posts, profile & homepage, it's honestly hard to decide which angle we're dealing with.

I'm not going to play "ask the doctor," but I'll say this.... Annie, your (main) problem is that you don't understand the purpose of back surgery or why/when it's done (see your posts #204 & 206 above as examples). Fair enough. Here's your education.

Back injuries suck. Back surgeries suck even more. Back surgery can "fix" emergencies. Back surgery almost never fixes a "bad back." Between your vertebrae (those bumpy things in your back), there are squishy things called discs. These are kind of shock absorbers that help cushion pressure as you move, among other functions. When someone, let's say Bono, injures their back & creates a chronic injury, it's very often that one of those discs has slipped from its spot. This means that the pressure between the vertebrae isn't cushioned the way it should be. This creates pain...chronic pain. Sometimes, a more severe injury happens suddenly, in which the disc slips and either the disc or the vertebra actually impinges on (pushes against) the spinal cord (that stringy thing that conveys all the nerve signals from your brain to your body & vice versa). This is a big fucking deal. If the spinal cord gets pushed too much, limbs don't move, you don't sense things, you don't control your bowels or bladder. Big, bad shit.

Here's part of what you don't seem to get: Bono injured his back a decade ago. He likely slipped a few discs, causing pain, perhaps occasionally impinging on nerves (but not permanently), affecting sensation and/or movement. What happened to Bono prior to the 2010 US leg was that he slipped or whatever in such a way that one or more discs actually impinged on the spinal cord. Like I said, that's bad fucking shit. That's an emergency. What he had before was just a "bad back."

Here's the other part you don't seem to get: When you have such an emergency, you get surgery immediately. When you simply have a "bad back," you only get surgery if you 1). you don't have insurance that will cover various therapies that can help you cope with the pain (though many insurance companies will now prefer to pay for that than surgery), or 2). you have given up on the therapies or don't want to try them because you hope that surgery will fix the problem (as many in our society look to medication and surgery to fix problems, unaware of the potential problems that may be caused). Why do you not go straight for surgery when you have a "bad back," or some minor slipped discs? First, back surgery is a big fucking deal. You're manipulating the bones & tissue that surround the fucking spinal cord. That's a big frickin' deal. Sometimes, you actually have to in through the abdomen to get to the right spot on the spine. That's a big frickin' deal, too. The second reason that you don't get back surgery unless you absolutely need it is that it doesn't freaking work. It can relieve some pain, but it's often not permanent. Because of the damage done to the structure of the bone & tissue, many people remain prone to slipping other discs. Moreover, because of the hardware that gets inserted and the fact that they often fuse vertebrae in order to support the bones & the hardware, many people continue to have decreased movement and function after the surgery.

So, to recap: Bono injured his back a long time ago, giving him a "bad back." Bono had a severe injury in 2010, further injuring his back in a severe, emergent manner. Bono got back surgery when he did because is injury was worsened in a severe way at that time. Bono did not get surgery at any point prior to the moment he did because, like any person receiving proper medical advice, he knew that the risks of surgery to fix a "bad back" that he could live with far outweighed the relatively small benefits. A "bad back," or minor slipped discs, is something people learn to live with (or bemoan forever). To borrow from the Buddhists (and Yoda!), pain is a part of life, but we create suffering. People with bad backs either 1). learn to accept and deal with the pain and develop a healthy relationship with it, 2). never accept it and live with suffering on top of the pain, or 3). never accept it, have surgery, and continue to live with both pain and suffering, albeit perhaps in a different way. Bono chose the first route---until he had an emergent injury that posed an immediate, severe risk. If he didn't have the final accident, he still wouldn't have had back surgery---and that would be the smart way to go.

Does that make sense?? I don't care about whatever the hell was said by Benji, Astro, Lassie, or any other random-ass person that I don't know jack shit about said before they got their ass banned from this place for some moronic behavior.

I know this probably won't work, but jiminy fucking cricket, I had to try. :sigh:

I like ponies.

Are you talking about BVS? If BVS was a surgeon the patient would surley die due to excessive questioning on the operating table.
Acertijo_01.jpg

Yes but Benji and other interference members said that towards the end of 2009, particularly during the concerts in Miami, Bono appeared stiff and clutching his hip or shoulder at various points during the concert. When U2 go back on tour after the procedure Bono gave a speech to the audience about it and said that he won't be having any trouble from his back from now on.

Utoo does back surgery carry more risks than breast implants? I just had a very quick search after I read your post.

Breast enlargement: unnecessary (does that make it minor surgery) and causes a whole host of risks, including:
auto immune disease, cancer, death, silicone migration, fitted incorrectlly, re-operation, breast pain, removal, ganguine, memory & concentration problems; and this is just after a very quick scan. Yet thousands of women do it every year? Why's that?

Bono said on the daily show that his doctor said that were two risks involved with the procedure he had (lot less than breast implants). Yet he also said that he hasn't had any of these risks.

I actually am an MD. I'm a pediatrician, not an orthopedist, but had to study orthopedics all the same as a medical student, and deal with orthopedic issues in kids since then. I spent 7 years studying medicine between medical school and residency, and the batshit whackadoo crap in this thread is just fucking insulting. It's not a lack of knowledge, but rather plain old ignorance. It's the kind of thing where 1). a lack of knowledge is combined with 2). a lack of common sense and 3). a lack of respect for the people and topic being discussed--#3 being the most insulting--and wrapped up to fit a warped worldview consistent with schizophrenics, uneducated UFO/watertower-shooting conspiracy theorists, and people just posting to yank everyone's chain. Reading this person's posts, profile & homepage, it's honestly hard to decide which angle we're dealing with.

I'm not going to play "ask the doctor," but I'll say this.... Annie, your (main) problem is that you don't understand the purpose of back surgery or why/when it's done (see your posts #204 & 206 above as examples). Fair enough. Here's your education.

Back injuries suck. Back surgeries suck even more. Back surgery can "fix" emergencies. Back surgery almost never fixes a "bad back." Between your vertebrae (those bumpy things in your back), there are squishy things called discs. These are kind of shock absorbers that help cushion pressure as you move, among other functions. When someone, let's say Bono, injures their back & creates a chronic injury, it's very often that one of those discs has slipped from its spot. This means that the pressure between the vertebrae isn't cushioned the way it should be. This creates pain...chronic pain. Sometimes, a more severe injury happens suddenly, in which the disc slips and either the disc or the vertebra actually impinges on (pushes against) the spinal cord (that stringy thing that conveys all the nerve signals from your brain to your body & vice versa). This is a big fucking deal. If the spinal cord gets pushed too much, limbs don't move, you don't sense things, you don't control your bowels or bladder. Big, bad shit.

Here's part of what you don't seem to get: Bono injured his back a decade ago. He likely slipped a few discs, causing pain, perhaps occasionally impinging on nerves (but not permanently), affecting sensation and/or movement. What happened to Bono prior to the 2010 US leg was that he slipped or whatever in such a way that one or more discs actually impinged on the spinal cord. Like I said, that's bad fucking shit. That's an emergency. What he had before was just a "bad back."

Here's the other part you don't seem to get: When you have such an emergency, you get surgery immediately. When you simply have a "bad back," you only get surgery if you 1). you don't have insurance that will cover various therapies that can help you cope with the pain (though many insurance companies will now prefer to pay for that than surgery), or 2). you have given up on the therapies or don't want to try them because you hope that surgery will fix the problem (as many in our society look to medication and surgery to fix problems, unaware of the potential problems that may be caused). Why do you not go straight for surgery when you have a "bad back," or some minor slipped discs? First, back surgery is a big fucking deal. You're manipulating the bones & tissue that surround the fucking spinal cord. That's a big frickin' deal. Sometimes, you actually have to in through the abdomen to get to the right spot on the spine. That's a big frickin' deal, too. The second reason that you don't get back surgery unless you absolutely need it is that it doesn't freaking work. It can relieve some pain, but it's often not permanent. Because of the damage done to the structure of the bone & tissue, many people remain prone to slipping other discs. Moreover, because of the hardware that gets inserted and the fact that they often fuse vertebrae in order to support the bones & the hardware, many people continue to have decreased movement and function after the surgery.

So, to recap: Bono injured his back a long time ago, giving him a "bad back." Bono had a severe injury in 2010, further injuring his back in a severe, emergent manner. Bono got back surgery when he did because is injury was worsened in a severe way at that time. Bono did not get surgery at any point prior to the moment he did because, like any person receiving proper medical advice, he knew that the risks of surgery to fix a "bad back" that he could live with far outweighed the relatively small benefits. A "bad back," or minor slipped discs, is something people learn to live with (or bemoan forever). To borrow from the Buddhists (and Yoda!), pain is a part of life, but we create suffering. People with bad backs either 1). learn to accept and deal with the pain and develop a healthy relationship with it, 2). never accept it and live with suffering on top of the pain, or 3). never accept it, have surgery, and continue to live with both pain and suffering, albeit perhaps in a different way. Bono chose the first route---until he had an emergent injury that posed an immediate, severe risk. If he didn't have the final accident, he still wouldn't have had back surgery---and that would be the smart way to go.

Does that make sense?? I don't care about whatever the hell was said by Benji, Astro, Lassie, or any other random-ass person that I don't know jack shit about said before they got their ass banned from this place for some moronic behavior.

I know this probably won't work, but jiminy fucking cricket, I had to try. :sigh:

I like ponies.

OrsonWellsApplause.gif

Honey, when you get your wisdom teeth taken out, the consent form includes risks ranging from pain to nosebleeds to death, with a litany of things in between.

If the majority of the discussion in this thread could manifest itself into an animated gif, it would look like this

snl_retarded-1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom