Bono On The Daily Show - 11.30.11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was it exactly that Bono said when Jon Stewart asked whether Wolfhart should of said that sexual dysfunction before he said dropped foot? I thought Bono said something like "I asked him whether there was anyway out?" Then Bono mentioned something about insurance. I didn't quite catch what he said and that's why I'm asking.

See. The only complications were dropped foot and sexual dysfunction. I wasn't the only interference member in May 2010 calling for calm and rationality.

I like Jon Stewart and I think David Latterman is alright as well isn't he? They are better interviewers than Zane Lowe, however, last year Jonathan Ross did ask who pulls out of Glastonbury due to a bad back? Ross has got a new show on ITV. If Bono goes on there I'd like to see some probing. Jonathan's wife has a bad back. He said this nonchalantly in an interview. She's also a screenwriter.

The Panther said:
U2's appearances on mainstream TV shows have become embarrassing, in my opinion. Again, it comes back to the old "how-far-are-they-gonna-go-to-sell-themselves?" question, and, as you can guess, in my mind this is going too far. The occasional such appearance can be useful, but their appearances on Letterman/Daily Show/Oprah/Jonathan Ross, et al. have become so commonplace that no one is getting excited about it. It wouldn't be so bad if the band came off better on these shows... but they don't.

What the hell you on?

This had nothing to do with u2 ,it isnt an apperance or there not selling anything

This was bono on his own talking about aids in africa.

When charitys involved bono can go on any tv show he wishes.

remember thats bono not u2

It's pretty incredible how hostile Interference can get during the dry periods without albums and tours. And this is only the beginning of the wasteland.

It's pretty incredible how hostile Interference can get during the dry periods without albums and tours. And this is only the beginning of the wasteland.

Indeed. I'd like to renew my clarion call for decorum and civility. I continue to be deeply saddened when I see this site degenerate into vitriol and name calling. I myself have gotten dragged into such spats by ne'er-do-wels, and felt wounded and aggrieved after being allowed to be baited into such encounters. It's time for us all to remember that as U2 fans we're "One", but not the same, and that compromise is not a dirty word.

And I thought Bono's appearance was just fine. The world needs more peacemakers like him.

I'm truly relieved to hear that Bono doesn't have any sex problems after his injury/surgery.
Keep dreaming.

But the idea of U2 on mainstream, 'Regis-and-Kathy-Lee' kind of talk shows, kind of turns me off in a big way (and probably turns off the world's many U2 haters).
If the world's U2 haters are turned off, where do they end up? Liking U2 again?

See. The only complications were dropped foot and sexual dysfunction.
Do you try to be amusing? Those were the only potential complications from the surgery, not the only potential complications from the injury.

I'd like to renew my clarion call for decorum and civility.
So says the guy with an avatar of Einstein flipping everyone the bird.

Um, anyway..I laughed at Bono making fun of JS for rocking back and forth in his chair. And at his comments about his sexual function issue.

The GMA interview was much better. I didn't see Ellen.

where-smiley-charles.gif

I just watched the interview. I'd complain about it, but I really don't have anything to complain about. It was short, but Bono came off as intelligent, and I didn't really detect any pompousness.

Paul like usual came off as a pompous twat in that appearance, and making NLOTH sound like the Archie's? Really?
I agree that Paul usually comes off as (to overstate it somewhat) a "pompous twat". That was exactly my point -- that he surprisingly didn't come off as a pompous twat on the recent Letterman appearance, whereas frankly, I think Bono did. U2, by their own repeated admission, just aren't good at doing humor.

You know when they call Bono pretentious just like you just did, what does you mean exactly?
I said that he can be pretentious in a lovable or horrible way, depending on your perspective. Obviously (or so I thought), from the perspective of a U2 fan like myself, it's a lovable quality -- his type of pretension doesn't bother me at all, and I quite admire it. But thousands of people are annoyed by it.
Are you saying that the plight of AIDS is not a crises?
Uh... no, I don't think that's what I said.
I like both Paul and Bono. What's wrong with either of them?
They're both a bit overweight. Other than that, they're near-perfect.
I think that terms like 'annoying' are completely subjective.
Yup.

What the hell you on?

This had nothing to do with u2 ,it isnt an apperance or there not selling anything
I actually didn't know that. My comments were regarding mainstream TV appearances in general, not regarding this recent one specifically which clearly had a more noble purpose.

By the way, I'm not anything illegal.

:lol: This is one scary smiley.

I just watched the interview. I'd complain about it, but I really don't have anything to complain about. It was short, but Bono came off as intelligent, and I didn't really detect any pompousness.

Exactly. :up:

But some people find something to complain about in everything because they're looking so hard for it.

I agree that Paul usually comes off as (to overstate it somewhat) a "pompous twat". That was exactly my point -- that he surprisingly didn't come off as a pompous twat on the recent Letterman appearance, whereas frankly, I think Bono did. U2, by their own repeated admission, just aren't good at doing humor.

Yeah, I don't see it. He comes out, jokes around with Jon and talks about the goals of his AIDS charity. Nothing pompous about that.

Sounds like some people here are just sick of Bono and what he actually says doesn't matter.

Sounds like some people here are just sick of Bono and what he actually says doesn't matter.

Which I can perfectly understand and Bono knows that very well and often says so. Most of the internet community isn't exactly nice when it comes to Bono and his countless appearances. And I understand because sometimes I get sick of him, too.

However, there's a greater cause and he's an excellent spokesperson and if his work is effective, there's a good reason for him to use the media. He has a passion for his causes that really is an inspiration and I admire him, even though I don't always agree with his points, opinions or strategies.

I'm pretty sure there are longer Bono-less times ahead of us, so let's just hope he goes back into the studio with his band when this is over.

Do you try to be amusing? Those were the only potential complications from the surgery, not the only potential complications from the injury.

Oh yes I do. I was talking about the surgery. There would be no complications from the injury because he had the surgery. Why have surgery if there'll still be complications from the injury. It was corrective surgery

Oh yes I do. I was talking about the surgery. There would be no complications from the injury because he had the surgery. Why have surgery if there'll still be complications from the injury. It was corrective surgery

Really? No having complications from the injury because he had the surgery? Corrective?

You really have NO fucking clue about medical stuff eh?

Cactus Annie said:

Sorry Annie but I think you're a little in over your head. None of what you said here makes sense.

Really? No having complications from the injury because he had the surgery? Corrective?

You really have NO fucking clue about medical stuff eh?

There you go. You're right again :up: I used to watch ER, you see.

I said that he can be pretentious in a lovable or horrible way, depending on your perspective. Obviously (or so I thought), from the perspective of a U2 fan like myself, it's a lovable quality -- his type of pretension doesn't bother me at all, and I quite admire it. But thousands of people are annoyed by it.

That's not what I asked. Pretentious means pretentious |priˈten ch əs|
adjective
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed : a pretentious literary device.

In that interview two things were discussed. Bono's back and World AIDS day. Which one of these topics are pretentious? That's why I asked you whether you meant that you think the AIDS plight is as serious as Bono makes out. Or did you mean that he was pretentious over his back? I may agree on the latter.

They're both a bit overweight. Other than that, they're near-perfect.

No they're not. That's why Bono wasn't laid up half as long as Benji suggested he would be last year. I never said they were perfect.

They have a National Health Service with waiting lists in Canada as well. I got this nugget of information from The Simpsons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom