Bono On The Daily Show - 11.30.11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, didn't mean to cause confusion. My post refers to a youtube panel tomorrow at 10 am est. Just wanted to share since starting new threads around here seems to be frowned upon also for small items.

The Daily Show is a late night show. Check local listings.

Here is the website info.... they list Bono as the guest tonight as discussed originally here.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/

wow. Boner was smart, funny, informed, and cool.

he hasn't been that since 2002.

(hated the jacket, though)

What kinda pissed me off was how Comedy Central played the episode about Bono being the world's largest piece of crap right before the Daily Show episode. It's stuff like this that totally undermines Bono's campaigns for AIDS relief and encourages hate against Bono and U2. And they think they are being clever, too. Who ever was in charge of programming must think he's "edgy" for doing this, when he's really just being an asshole.:angry:

:lol:

Not really, I just care about the man's, you know, well being.

:wink:

Seriously, good interview, just a little short, but I understand this is a comedy show and they're not going into serious stuff too much.

What kinda pissed me off was how Comedy Central played the episode about Bono being the world's largest piece of crap right before the Daily Show episode. It's stuff like this that totally undermines Bono's campaigns for AIDS relief and encourages hate against Bono and U2. And they think they are being clever, too. Who ever was in charge of programming must think he's "edgy" for doing this, when he's really just being an asshole.:angry:

awww, you have no sense of humor :love:

Ohhhhhhhh No No No NO No!

It seems like The Daily Show is no longer on More4 :scream:

It used to be on every night, the day after it was shown in America, but now it's not on any Freeview channel. Just when I was getting my Bono fix again. :mad: What am I going to do now? What shall a person do if they don't live in America and yet they want to watch the interview?

Cactus Annie said:
Ohhhhhhhh No No No NO No!

It seems like The Daily Show is no longer on More4 :scream:

It used to be on every night, the day after it was shown in America, but now it's not on any Freeview channel. Just when I was getting my Bono fix again. :mad: What am I going to do now? What shall a person do if they don't live in America and yet they want to watch the interview?

Learn how to read?

redhill said:

U2's appearances on mainstream TV shows have become embarrassing, in my opinion. Again, it comes back to the old "how-far-are-they-gonna-go-to-sell-themselves?" question, and, as you can guess, in my mind this is going too far. The occasional such appearance can be useful, but their appearances on Letterman/Daily Show/Oprah/Jonathan Ross, et al. have become so commonplace that no one is getting excited about it. It wouldn't be so bad if the band came off better on these shows... but they don't.

Anyone see Paul McCartney on Letterman about two years ago? It was an incredibly successful (for Paul) appearance. Both Paul and Letterman were on fine form, and Paul came across as witty, articulate, and funny as heck. He even performed one of the new 'Fireman' songs (an album that makes NLOTH sound like The Archies). By contrast, when U2 were (endlessly) on Letterman in 2009, they came across as stuffed shirts and seemed to hold Letterman back, as he was in thrall to their celebrity.

It's hard for them to come across well on TV. When it's Bono alone, he becomes annoyingly talkative and pretentious (in a lovable or horrible way, depending on your perspective), and when it's all 4 members it tends to reveal how humorless they are in public.

I do think they come off better on music-only types of interviews, where they're on safe homeground and the interviewer comes to them, so to speak. But the idea of U2 on mainstream, 'Regis-and-Kathy-Lee' kind of talk shows, kind of turns me off in a big way (and probably turns off the world's many U2 haters).

The Panther said:
Paul came across as witty, articulate, and funny as heck. He even performed one of the new 'Fireman' songs (an album that makes NLOTH sound like The Archies). By contrast, when U2 were (endlessly) on Letterman in 2009, they came across as stuffed shirts and seemed to hold Letterman back, as he was in thrall to their celebrity.
I think most of this pretty much negates your opinion; you're not comparing apples to apples, Paul like usual came off as a pompous twat in that appearance, and making NLOTH sound like the Archie's? Really?

I can't believe some people are spamming this thread with their usual hate tirades against U2 when this has nothing to do with the band but with Bono and his campaign. This behaviour is just ignorant and totally unnecessary :huh:

U2's appearances on mainstream TV shows have become embarrassing, in my opinion. Again, it comes back to the old "how-far-are-they-gonna-go-to-sell-themselves?" question, and, as you can guess, in my mind this is going too far. The occasional such appearance can be useful, but their appearances on Letterman/Daily Show/Oprah/Jonathan Ross, et al. have become so commonplace that no one is getting excited about it. It wouldn't be so bad if the band came off better on these shows... but they don't.

Anyone see Paul McCartney on Letterman about two years ago? It was an incredibly successful (for Paul) appearance. Both Paul and Letterman were on fine form, and Paul came across as witty, articulate, and funny as heck. He even performed one of the new 'Fireman' songs (an album that makes NLOTH sound like The Archies). By contrast, when U2 were (endlessly) on Letterman in 2009, they came across as stuffed shirts and seemed to hold Letterman back, as he was in thrall to their celebrity.

It's hard for them to come across well on TV. When it's Bono alone, he becomes annoyingly talkative and pretentious (in a lovable or horrible way, depending on your perspective), and when it's all 4 members it tends to reveal how humorless they are in public.

I do think they come off better on music-only types of interviews, where they're on safe homeground and the interviewer comes to them, so to speak. But the idea of U2 on mainstream, 'Regis-and-Kathy-Lee' kind of talk shows, kind of turns me off in a big way (and probably turns off the world's many U2 haters).

Oh do stop moaning.

You know when they call Bono pretentious just like you just did, what does you mean exactly? Are you saying that the plight of AIDS is not a crises? The African continent is not as vulnerable as Bono says it is? I'm thick, please elaborate.

I like both Paul and Bono. What's wrong with either of them? I think that terms like 'annoying' are completely subjective. One man's treasure is another man's poison. Just now I've been trying to think who I find annoying :hmm:. I may come back to that one (if I can be assed).

How comes the beginning of the interview was taken up with Bono talking about his back? Both Jon Stewart and David Latterman did this. It's embarrassing. How many times do us normal folk have to point out that in the real world, most of us don't get a 5 month break like U2 did last year. Plenty of time to perform a medical procedure. Yesterday, the UK's public sector all went on strike. Hospitals ER's remained open and emergency surgery was performed, however, no routine operation. VintagePunk, who I think is a fellow Brit, said that the surgery procedure that Bono had was routine and on the NHS you'd have to wait 7 days (but from the explanation that Bono gave I don't think if they would have waited 7 days whilst a client had to use a walking stick). Still if this happened yesterday then he'd have to wait 48 hours until normal service resumed.

Maybe this is what Panther meant when he called Bono pretentious :hmm:. In which case I am sorry.

I can't believe some people are spamming this thread with their usual hate tirades against U2 when this has nothing to do with the band but with Bono and his campaign. This behaviour is just ignorant and totally unnecessary :huh:

I thought spamming meant advertsising and not just spiteful comments. As if any of us would do thClarks Village | Outlet Shopping Villageat :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom