Bono on HTDAAB: "it f-ing annoys me." - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2021, 07:35 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Bono on HTDAAB: "it f-ing annoys me."

Bono said of HTDAAB: "[t]here are no weak songs. But as an album, the whole isn't greater than the sum of its parts, and it f–ing annoys me."

Agree? Disagree? Discuss!

doxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Personally, I kind of have to agree with him. There are no songs that I actively dislike or think are genuinely awfully, yet the album doesn't quite gel and flow together as cohesively as many of their previous albums. It's probably one of U2's strongest records from a songwriting perspective, yet I feel that it doesn't sound as focused as it should. The album art is lazy and the engineering & mixing of the album is terrible.

I'm also ticked that Mercy wasn't included. How that one was left off is still beyond me. Despite all my complaints, I still dig this one every once in a while, so I guess the songs themselves managed to stand-out against all the negatives. And hey, it won 9 Grammy awards so..

doxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Gee I wonder why... not like the whole McGuinness promising lots of hits thing wasn’t a meme in its own right. Perhaps the band was too focused on each song in a vacuum?
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:19 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:29 AM
Agreed but I listened to this album a few months back and it was such a fun listen.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:18 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Hate to be Thread Police again, but this really needed its own thread instead of being posted in the one that was already talking about HTDAAB being the beginning of the end for the band? A thread that you also created?

This is from your first post in there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxxer View Post
One safe, 'back to basics', adult contemporary album after POP was acceptable for most U2 fans as it achieved what it set out to, make U2 relevant again, but for many fans HTDAAB was a bridge too far & that's when the tide started to turn. And with that release & corresponding tour it seemed like the U2 hate train/machine really started to take off during that period..

That lingering after-taste that originated circa HTDAAB-era still endures for many music critics today.
So your last thread was positing a dubious theory that most people who replied didn't seem to agree with. And now this thread is "SEE BONO AGREES WITH ME, WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT??"

lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:08 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:29 PM
When did he say this?
dan_smee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:10 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

I remember the quote. It was probably during the promo for No Line, as they have a habit of trashing the last album while telling us how great the new one is going to be, they've been doing this shit since post-Pop.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:39 PM   #8
Refugee

I really, I mean really, like Yahweh and OOTS. The rest of the album is kind of ok.
AndrewCowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:02 PM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 11:29 AM
It does sound like a collection of singles, but they’re good singles. I’d take it over SOE or No Line.
tommycharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:37 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Probably my least favorite U2 album. I really love Vertigo and City Of Blinding Lights, and One Step Closer and A Man And A Woman are pretty good, and Miracle Drug is just okay, but the rest all have problems either with production issues, subpar-to-bad vocal takes, or clunker lyrics. I have ideas for how it could have been better, but I’m sure we all do any probably nobody cares about mine. Haha!
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #11
45:33

It's inextricably tied to memories for me, so it's hard to rate it objectively. My first U2 album, it was such an expansive time for me. I don't listen to it often, but it holds a very special place in my heart.
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:45 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:29 AM
Truly the most Meh U2 album ever. Second would be ATYCLB. But Bomb has a firm grasp on this title.

One really good song, a few good songs and the rest are bland or bad.
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:52 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:29 AM
you are right on.

i’d swap out Miracle Drug for Original if the Species on your list, but you hit the nail on the head
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:45 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

This was my least favourite U2 album until SoE came along and upon a re-listen although it still isn't a great album there are sone real high points. Vertigo, COBL, Fast Cars, SYCMIOYO and a few others.
The low points are still really low though, Miracle Drug for example.
An Cat Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:36 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 07:29 PM
For me, this is a really good album, and the best U2 album since 1993. I agree that 'Mercy' (despite some lyrical cringes) should have been on there in place of 'One Step Closer', but anyway it's a really solid collection of tunes.

I personally dislike operatic U2, so 'Sometimes You Can't Make It' is a track I don't need to hear again, but besides this and the okay-but-dull 'One Step Closer', I think all the songs have quite a lot going for them.
The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:21 AM   #16
45:33

I won't hear any bad words about One Step Closer. It's absolutely one of the best songs on the album. That said, Mercy would be the best song on it.
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:45 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah I appreciate the understated nature of One Step Closer, especially compared to Sometimes, which verges into Coldplay territory. Maybe it doesn't sit easy between the overproduction of OOTS and Crumbs, I don't know. But taken on its own it's very well done; the presence of Lanois on this track is not hard to recognize.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #18
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Agreed but I listened to this album a few months back and it was such a fun listen.
I did the same recently and enjoyed it. To be fair, that's often the case with U2 albums where we absolutely dissect them to pieces on here, but away from that, there's very few songs I actively hate or skip when listening to them.
ascender_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:44 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender_RS View Post
I did the same recently and enjoyed it. To be fair, that's often the case with U2 albums where we absolutely dissect them to pieces on here, but away from that, there's very few songs I actively hate or skip when listening to them.
100%. I had taken an extended break from Interference, I don't know, a year ago. During that break I listened to every U2 album and other than a couple gripes here or there, I realized that U2 is way better than people think they are on this forum. It was such a refreshing revisiting of their catalog.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Still can’t believe they thought that album cover photo was good enough.

david is offline   Reply With Quote