Bono is the 2nd richest singer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rennowba

Rock n' Roll Doggie
http://audioinkradio.com/2012/09/foo-fighters-metallica-u2-members-richest-lead-singers/

CelebrityNetWorth.com put together its list by gathering information from publicly available sources about musicians’ “salaries, real estate holdings, divorces, record sales, royalties and endorsements.” The site’s net worth figures are calculated by a formula that takes into account “taxes, manager’s fees, agents’ fees and lifestyle.”

1. Paul McCartney: $800 million
2. Bono: $600 million
3. Jimmy Buffett: $400 million
4. Elton John: $320 million
5. Mick Jagger: $305 million
6. Sting: $290 million
7. Phil Collins: $250 million
8. Dave Matthews: $250 million
9. Prince: $250 million
10. Dave Grohl: $225 million
11. Rod Stewart: $220 million
12. David Bowie: $215 million
13. Bruce Springsteen: $200 million
14. James Hetfield: $175 million
15. Axl Rose: $150 million
16. Roger Waters: $145 million
17. David Gilmour: $130 million
18. Steven Tyler: $130 million
19. Jon Bon Jovi: $125 million
20. Anthony Kiedis: $120 million
21. Sammy Hagar: $120 million
22. Robert Plant: $120 million
23. Bruce Dickinson: $115 million
24. Eric Clapton: $115 million
25. Brian Johnson: $90 million
26. Ozzy Osbourne: $90 million
27. Gwen Stefani: $80 million
28. Eddie Vedder: $80 million
29. Bob Dylan: $80 million
30. Brian Wilson: $75 million

How is JayZ not on that list? I thought he was one of the richest guys on the planet.

Jimmy Buffett tours constantly and has a very loyal fan base that will keep sellling them out. I think he also owns restaurants and products, etc.

number two?!
240px-StanAndBono.jpg

Though I enjoy the joke, I want to point out that is a very different (but equally real) Bruce Dickinson. Ironically, neither Bruce Dickinson produced Don't Fear the Reaper, but one "produced" the reissue and greatest hits compilations that included the song.

Friggin' SNL inaccuracies.

standrums said:
For love of money money money... money money money ...money money money... the fever, getting higher!!

Hahaha, nice one :)

I'm a bit suspicious of this list.

First, U2 shares all song royalties equally. Second, from my understanding, they share touring profits equally. What else has Bono done to generate money? He may get some $$ from speaking, but most of his speaking engagements are for charity. So if Bono is there, why aren't the other members of U2 also on this list? How did he get so much more money?

Also, I find it hard to believe that Bono has more money than the far more productive members of other bands or solo artists. U2 aren't exactly known for cranking out the albums. It's not like they have sell 6M or more copies of an album every 2 years.

It might be possible that U2 gets more royalties than other artists as they own their music (something other artists, including McCartney, do not), but there's a price to pay for that. U2 also gets less $ per album as a result. Touring brings in a lot, but Jagger has had huge tours at top dollar for a while now. So why is Bono worth two of him?

Lastly, where are the female artists on this list? No Stevie Nicks - who's had success for decades? No Carole King, who makes a fortune from all the song-writing royalties? Madonna? She's had successes for 3 decades as well as big tours.

Something seems odd here and I would need more proof before I take this list at face value.

number two?!
240px-StanAndBono.jpg

HA! :up:

Another year, another crop of musicians making bank. Forbes has released its list of highest-paid musicians, led this year not by a popstar or rock band, but a doctor. Despite sounding angry in every song, rapper and beatmaker Dr. Dre earned a cool $110 million between May 2011 and May 2012. Most of that had nothing to do with the production of music, though: Dre earned the vast majority of that from his über-trendy headphone line, Beats by Dre.

Others leading the pack: Roger Waters (a founding member of Pink Floyd) with $88 million, Elton John with $80 million, U2 with $78 million and Take That with $69 million. That's a top 5 with one American and no one that's currently in the top 10 of the Billboard singles chart.

Britney Spears, the highest-earning woman comes in at No. 7 with $58 million. Taylor Swift tied Paul McCartney for the eighth slot. Both raked in $57 million over the course of the year.

Other hotshots: Justin Bieber rounds out the top 10 with $55 million, Rihanna lands at No. 12 ($53 million) and is followed by Lady Gaga ($52 million), Katy Perry and Diddy tied for 15th ($45 million) and Beyonce out-earned husband Jay-Z ($40 million and $38 million). Another tie: Adele and Kanye West at No. 22 with $35 million.

Some quick thoughts: U2 had topped the list since 2009 but fell two slots. Dre and Waters are unlikely to be among the first names that come to mind when one thinks of pop music. Their success points to big business (HTC bought Dre's headphone company for $300 million, though Dre and his partners bought back a large chunk of the company) and relentless touring (Waters plays "The Wall" in its entirety as part of a large-scale concert) as more efficient means of money-making than recording music. Also: Jay-Z + Beyonce = U2.

Head over to Forbes for the full list.

I'm a bit suspicious of this list.

First, U2 shares all song royalties equally. Second, from my understanding, they share touring profits equally. What else has Bono done to generate money? He may get some $$ from speaking, but most of his speaking engagements are for charity. So if Bono is there, why aren't the other members of U2 also on this list? How did he get so much more money?

Also, I find it hard to believe that Bono has more money than the far more productive members of other bands or solo artists. U2 aren't exactly known for cranking out the albums. It's not like they have sell 6M or more copies of an album every 2 years.

It might be possible that U2 gets more royalties than other artists as they own their music (something other artists, including McCartney, do not), but there's a price to pay for that. U2 also gets less $ per album as a result. Touring brings in a lot, but Jagger has had huge tours at top dollar for a while now. So why is Bono worth two of him?

Lastly, where are the female artists on this list? No Stevie Nicks - who's had success for decades? No Carole King, who makes a fortune from all the song-writing royalties? Madonna? She's had successes for 3 decades as well as big tours.

Something seems odd here and I would need more proof before I take this list at face value.

HA! :up:

I'd guess this list is more than just their earnings from royalties...it probably includes what they've made from various investments, etc. And I believe Bono is on the board of private equity firm. Despite his having a reputation as an awful investor, the guy is plugged in.

Yeah, this list must include more than just music royalties, otherwise the a lot of these people just wouldn't be on there.

As for women, they're not as good with business matters and such, hence their under-represenation here.

Back
Top Bottom