Bono injured in cycling accident

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So yea... A broken orbital socket and glaucoma have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Physical damage can not cause, not exacerbate, glaucoma.

But it can have an impact on the eye pressure which is a big issue if you're suffering from Glaucoma. I have a friend who had an accident involving the area around her eye and her eye pressure took months to go back to normal. So yes, it can have an effect on the nerve. Not saying it does in Bono's case, I hope it doesn't, but it's not that far fetched. Facial injuries are always tricky, especially if the area around your eye is involved.

On a lighter note, Bono appearing in public with a bruised and beaten up face could lend him some street cred.

The German Rolling Stone was colling him "Iron Man" today because of the many screws they inserted. Guess going through metal detectors at airport security checks will be exciting for him from now on.

Oh, I had a dream about this, last night, btw. Somehow, no idea how, but it's a dream, of course, so whatever, I was at the hospital with Bono and LeMel, and Bono was super hopped up on goofballs. It was a really wacky dream, which mainly consisted of him saying nonsensical things and having issues understanding how to use the restroom.

The most annoying thing about this will be Bono recycling some variation of the "Made in Germany stamped on my ass" joke he vomited at audiences all last tour.

When I was 13 playing baseball, I saw this happen up close. I was the on deck batter, and there was a play at the plate after the ball had gone to the backstop, forcing the pitcher to cover the plate. I told the runner to slide (rightfully so), and he slid into the back of the pitcher's shin (unfortunately). He suffered a compound fracture of his fibula, which I had an up close view of. Not the most pleasant sight, and he ended up passing out from pain/shock.

I'm an RA at the University of Oregon and because of that we have to deal with a lot of crazy situations. Halloween night somebody fell of a ledge by my building into a bush and suffered a compound fracture. I was walking back from a friends house when I heard him yelling so I called police and helped him. Turns out he had been in the bush for about an hour and a half and his friends had been looking for him. The fire department showed up and had to cut the bush to get him out which took around 30 minutes. So this kid is in this bush with the bone sticking out of his leg for about 2 hours. It was a rough night for him.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

no laughing matter

Oh my god, I just now learned the extent of Bono's injuries, and I felt sick to my stomach. He didn't just "fall off" a bike; he had a high-speed collision that literally shattered parts of his body. He -- and we -- are lucky that he's even alive.

And I honestly cannot understand why everyone is joking about it. These are serious, traumatic, gruesome injuries. How can there possibly be anything funny about that? Where is your compassion? If the tables were turned and Bono heard that someone (maybe you) had suffered injuries of this severity, he would feel compassion for you.

I read about the details this morning and any humor in the situation just evaporated for me. Before, it was "Oh Bono, you klutz..." But now, it sounds like he's going to be incapacitated and in a lot of pain for a long time, so it's not really funny at the moment to me. If he hit his head hard enough to break his eye socket, he probably wouldn't be alive if he weren't wearing a helmet. And my friend had screws in her elbow after breaking it years ago and she still can't fully extend her arm to this day, so Bono might have some permanent effects from this, especially at his age.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Black humor does not equal a lack of compassion.

If black humor isn't your thing, that's cool. I get that. But if you think anyone here doesn't recognize the extent of the injury or doesn't wish him well, you're crazy.

Yes, please. Stop with the jokes, it's not humerus to joke at times like this.

Black humor does not equal a lack of compassion.

If you think anyone here doesn't wish him well, you're crazy. Just because thoughts of "get well soon" are not typed on the internet does not mean people aren't thinking them.

It's still kind of a shock to me, but I'll come around. I think a sense of humor does help in these situations. Bono even joked about his back problems, and I think he will have something witty to say about this, too.

I know this is just a little fan panic/paranoia, or whatever, but I'd feel so much better if we heard something from him sooner, than later. I know we have an official MD report, but I just saw the update about Tracy Morgan's condition, and I remember after he first got in that car crash, they were treating it like he was going to make a full recovery, and those tables have certainly turned at this point.

Bono wanted to play an entire acoustic tour and Larry just couldn't hold back any more and kicked his ass

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I know this is just a little fan panic/paranoia, or whatever, but I'd feel so much better if we heard something from him sooner, than later. I know we have an official MD report, but I just saw the update about Tracy Morgan's condition, and I remember after he first got in that car crash, they were treating it like he was going to make a full recovery, and those tables have certainly turned at this point.

Me too. I would like to see a reassuring statement from Edge like he did when Bono hurt his back.

Me too. I would like to see a reassuring statement from Edge like he did when Bono hurt his back.

I would as well. Edge is a gentle, consoling presence.

But I'm not going to assume the worst until ... well, until it's time to assume the worst.

I would as well. But I'm not going to assume the worst until ... well, until it's time to assume the worst.

Yeah, I'm not trying to assume the worst, I just know how I felt after the bike accident first happened and we weren't hearing anything from Bono, laughing it off, or anything. Like, it must not be a big deal, but having a feeling in the back of my mind that it's worse than we think, and it was. So......yeah I'm just being really paranoid.

We couldn't have heard anything from Bono because he's still in hospital, he had two surgeries, and I'm pretty sure he's under pain medication that's so heavy that he cannot possibly comment on anything right now. I also chose to stay positive, but I think we're not in for an official statement from anyone in the band regarding his recovery anytime soon because they simply don't know. At this point, I guess it's hard to tell how things will turn out and how well his recovery will go. We can hope for the best and it won't be a fun time for Bono, but judging from the list of injuries I'm honestly having a hard time believing that everything will be 100% ok for him. I know people who suffered less serious injuries and who are still affected by them after years. Bono's 54 and he's human, with an iron will, though, but it will be very hard for him to get to a point where he can fully use his arm again.

IIRC, Bono actually sent a video after his back surgery. We will probably get something directly from Bono in due time, especially once his cheek is looking better.

Yes, please. Stop with the jokes, it's not humerus to joke at times like this.

55609706.jpg

; he had a high-speed collision that literally shattered parts of his body. He -- and we -- are lucky that he's even alive.

Lucky he's still alive? C'mon, it was a bike accident. He f'ed his arm and shoulder up pretty bad sure, but just how fast do you think the man can pedal a bicycle that this "high speed collsion" could kill him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom