Bono in top 10 "Rock Gods"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only the first and last two names fit the bill.

Daltrey, Plant, Morrison, Page, Townshend etc... should be included.

I dont even think Bono should be on the list. :reject:

I disagree.

While I question some of the people on that list, what makes U2 so great live is Bono. Even fellow rock stars say that they can't take their eyes off Bono when he's on stage. He's not Mercury, but then, he couldn't be and shouldn't be. Mercury's style wouldn't work for U2 - even during U2's ZOO TV era. Mercury's style worked brilliant for the more opera rock aspect of Queen (which he did tone down come the 80's). But Bono belongs.

As for Jon Bon Jovi being #3, uh... Not a hater, just saying I never viewed him as "rock god".

I don't even get would the fucking list means. Is it the most famous rock stars in the world? The biggest debauchers? The ones that represent both in equal measures? The ones with the steam of PURE ROCK AND ROLL WOO poring from their veins at all times? I don't think Bono belongs in any of those but maybe the first.

Also isn't he like a philanthropist or some shit these days anyway.

Can i win your love back ?

I just think the list lacks weight. Where are the drummers ? Moon and Bonham. Where is Plant and Page ? Where is Entwistle ?

More importantly, where is Edge!? :wink:

Lennon HAS to be in there.

I disagree.

While I question some of the people on that list, what makes U2 so great live is Bono. Even fellow rock stars say that they can't take their eyes off Bono when he's on stage. He's not Mercury, but then, he couldn't be and shouldn't be. Mercury's style wouldn't work for U2 - even during U2's ZOO TV era. Mercury's style worked brilliant for the more opera rock aspect of Queen (which he did tone down come the 80's). But Bono belongs.

quote]

Yes, I think that's a fair point. Although Queen could write very sophisticated lyrics (Hammer To Fall was a great snapshot of life in Cold War Europe) they were generally apolitical and I think that is reflected in Freddie's "music hall" influenced showmanship. Bono on the other hand, has to convey more political messages in his stage act, so in some respects, it is difficult to compare them qualitatively.

well heres my list:

01 Mick Jagger
02 Pete Townshend
03 Gene Simmons
04 Bono
05 Ozzy Osbourne
06 Axl Rose
07 Angus Young
08 David Lee Roth
09 Freddy Mercury
10 Jon Bon Jovi

Hows Freddie better than Elvis? He sang with far more emotion, he was a more exciting vocalist rather than these quasi opera. I hate opera, I don't get it. At least jazz is playful in it's delivery, phrasing.

Bono is better than Freddie, Bowie and Liam Gallagher are better than Freddie. Where's Sting, Stipe, Little Richrad and Peter Gabriel? They are better than Freddie

What is your problem? What's bump? How comes I am not allowed to express my view but everyone else is?

It's a dumb thread with no point and no value, it's just post upon post of WHERE ARE MY FAVOURITE ROCK STARS IN THIS HALF-ARSED TABLOID LIST COME ON , and as there wasn't any discussion in it for a while, you bumped it by making a new post.

You serious Annie ? Mercury was god imo.

Yeah I agree, Freddie was just about the ultimate frontman for me, stunning voice and showmanship.

IMO he's definitely better than Liam and edges out Bowie too.

Ok the first two i would agree with (if they were switched) .. but Jon Bon Jovi and Slash before Bono? :madspit:

I agree......Elvis shoud be first, Mercury second. I would rank Bono at number 4. Right after David Bowie, whom I have seen twice in concert, different tours, during the seventies. And trust me, he deserves to be number three.

It's a dumb thread with no point and no value, it's just post upon post of WHERE ARE MY FAVOURITE ROCK STARS IN THIS HALF-ARSED TABLOID LIST COME ON , and as there wasn't any discussion in it for a while, you bumped it by making a new post.

Oh, come on now. Bumping threads (dumb threads or not) to make an actual comment about your opinion about it is fine. It's not like she bumped an old thread to comment with nothing but a stupid smiley.

Why are you so worked up about it? :)

And I think Freddie is/was awesome. Definitely deserves to be where he is on the list. A dumb list, sure. They're all dumb lists. Doesn't mean people can't comment on it even if it's an old thread.

01 Freddie Mercury - righty so #1
02 Elvis Presley - not bad
03 Jon Bon Jovi - total shiite
04 David Bowie - good
05 Jimi Hendrix - good
06 Ozzy Osbourne - rubbish
07 Kurt Cobain - idiot and a waster
08 Slash - ok i guess
09 Bono - great
10 Mick Jagger - good

how can you guys not put Mick Jagger as number 1?

I mean not the best voice but I can tell you from seeing the stones twice that having him right in front of you is like looking at God. I cant stress that anymore then anyone else

Back
Top Bottom