Bono "Focus on the Family" program

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had to google to discover what "Focus on the Family" is. By the name, i knew i wasn't going to find good things about it.

The moment i saw they support "corporal punishment" i stopped reading.

A lowpoint in Bonos career, dont know what he thought or did he thought at all when he was being interviewed by the awful site...

i don't know, but i wonder if he's trying to educate the evangelicals/fundamentalists?

i don't know what the fuck to think really - the guy is going thru a massive character assassination right now in the press... it makes for pretty horrible reading, everywhere, oh and justifying his tax avoidance/efficiency and calling it being "tax sensible" and "in the spirit of the law" just makes it all so much worse - he must be a fecking masochist :lol:

I think Bono (and some of his fans/apologists) don't believe in something called drawing a line.

I think Bono (and some of his fans/apologists) don't believe in something called drawing a line.

And why should he?

He taught them something more than anything. He didn't support or promote them in anyway. I think sometimes you can draw too many lines, and then someday you'll find that you drew yourself in a corner and you're completely ineffective.

And why should he?

He taught them something more than anything. He didn't support or promote them in anyway. I think sometimes you can draw too many lines, and then someday you'll find that you drew yourself in a corner and you're completely ineffective.

Yep. Being open minded, by definition, means talking to people we don't necessarily agree with. It's easy to preach about "coexist" and tolerance and compromise when everyone you talk to thinks the same way you do.

Maybe...just maybe...he's reaching people he otherwise wouldn't and they will listen. It's worked for him to great success many times before.

Of course, it's easier to just be smug and sneer at him for talking to people we don't like.

Yep. Being open minded, by definition, means talking to people we don't necessarily agree with. It's easy to preach about "coexist" and tolerance and compromise when everyone you talk to thinks the same way you do.

Maybe...just maybe...he's reaching people he otherwise wouldn't and they will listen. It's worked for him to great success many times before.

Of course, it's easier to just be smug and sneer at him for talking to people we don't like.

There's no place for logic and common sense on the Internet. Please leave.

A lowpoint in Bonos career, dont know what he thought or did he thought at all when he was being interviewed by the awful site...

Wow, you must really be shocked to discover Bono is a believer and a Christian. Sometimes I feel that many fans are denying that fact. No matter if you are a religious person or not, you just have to accept the fact that Bono's faith means a lot to him. Without it, there would be no U2, their music is based upon their faith as Christians.

And yes, I'm sure he thinks about everything he's doing. Bono doesn't exclude anyone, he talks to everyone.

I found the interviewer awful, btw, but Bono very thoughtful. I liked what he said about faith getting in the way of love and religious people letting faith be more important than love. There's a lot more food for thought in the RTE interview he did with Gay Byrne.

did they ask any controversial questions? did they bring up gay marriage or abortion for instance? to put him proper on the spot, you know :D

did they ask any controversial questions? did they bring up gay marriage for instance? to put him proper on the spot, you know :D

No, in fact the interviewer made a point that some "christians" may have judgement for Bono since he is unorthodox, and that Bono does while many just talk about it.

thanks!

i seriously can't believe "christians" would think of Bono as remotely unorthodox, that's unreal... what century are we living in...

Wow, you must really be shocked to discover Bono is a believer and a Christian. Sometimes I feel that many fans are denying that fact. No matter if you are a religious person or not, you just have to accept the fact that Bono's faith means a lot to him. Without it, there would be no U2, their music is based upon their faith as Christians.

And yes, I'm sure he thinks about everything he's doing. Bono doesn't exclude anyone, he talks to everyone.

I found the interviewer awful, btw, but Bono very thoughtful. I liked what he said about faith getting in the way of love and religious people letting faith be more important than love. There's a lot more food for thought in the RTE interview he did with Gay Byrne.

I dont think Bono share FOTF view on gay rights, abortion...
But sure it is hard to undertstand how such a good person like Bono praise a a evil god like the one in bible who have killled over 20 000 000 people...
Bono is against such things, still he look up to a evil character...

Sometimes I think he isnt that christian at all, more of a imagie...

I think i need to "coexist" a little more and have an open mind about things.

For starters, I'll probably invite some neo-nazis, pedophiles and rapists to have dinner in my house. Of course, i can not forget to invite those new (to me) people at "Focus on the Family", so i can learn more about corporal punishment, creationism etc. Maybe i can "teach" and influence them to come to the good side.

Since there is no point in drawing a line, i'm sure only good things will come out of this dinner...

Yes, because believing in creationism is the same as being a neo-nazi, pedophile and rapist!

Oh, welcome back. ;)

What about corporal punishment, baby? What's your thoughtful and clever remark about it?

Yes, because believing in creationism is the same as being a neo-nazi, pedophile and rapist!

Oh, welcome back. ;)

I dont give a shit if someone is believing in unbeliveble thing like creationism, but spreading lies like creatinism to children and other adult about that is childabuse.
Creationists also spread lies and missunderstadnings about evolution...

Bono is obviously a very smart guy. I gotta wonder though if partaking in discussions with, let's say, unsavoury groups is really promoting his agenda in any tangible way. Having Bono on their show is a major coup for a group like FOTF. Bono, on the other hand, could end up burning bridges down the line. Seems like a bit of a raw deal for him. Just my 2c.

I dont think Bono share FOTF view on gay rights, abortion...
But sure it is hard to undertstand how such a good person like Bono praise a a evil god like the one in bible who have killled over 20 000 000 people...
Bono is against such things, still he look up to a evil character...

Sometimes I think he isnt that christian at all, more of a imagie...

Bono is clearly a Christian; one side of his family is protestant, the other is Catholic, and he said in that interview that he believes that Jesus is the son of God.

I would hope Bono is against killing 20,000,000 people, and guess what, I'd wager that Jesus Christ is against killing even one person. But he must be evil. OK.

Did they ask Bono anything regarding the taste of communion? Back when I was a Catholic, the taste always bothered me and I thought they should have switched to something more appealing, like crackers and cheese or something. Tortilla chips could have also worked.

What about corporal punishment, baby? What's your thoughtful and clever remark about it?

Then U2 shouldn't play any state or country that has the death penalty, they should block anyone who supports dp from buying a U2 ticket, and ban their songs being played on radio and computers in those areas.

Having Bono on their show is a major coup for a group like FOTF.

How?! He hinted at the hypocrisy of the show's listeners and I really don't think anyone who knows Bono doesn't know where most of his views lie. If anything, I think both sides took a risk, if you know anything about this group social justice, grace through action, and making analogies like Bono did are not very high on their favorable list.

Back
Top Bottom