Bono....even aware of the fact that he

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always hate when he tries to be a tenor - it's always a little bit emberassing. That's the way I see it. But anyway - I think that's great that there are indeed people who like his voice today more than the voice he had 20 years ago - :wave: it's cool- but I really don't get it. Of course you're right he was shouting these days - but this was so special to me. It transported such a power and strength. And while he was shouting he had almost total control. I always wonder where does so much air come from - it was a different way of control than the classical singing he tries sometimes today. Just a voice that really can fill stadiums - an instrument that let's you forget that there is also an guitar and a bass player on stage - like for example in this video:

YouTube - Gloria

I love the way he sings Beautiful Day. The phrasing, the subtlety, everything.

This is a vocal effect and I agree with Martha in that by singing in this style, Bono captures the essence of the song far more powerfully than if he belted out the song.

Songs like "Beautiful Day", "One", "In a Little While", etc., were purposely sung with that scratchy voice to emphasize the theme or lyrics. To prove this, listen to the live versions of "One" on the ZOO TV tour or "In a Little While" on the Elevation tour. Bono's vocals sound more clear and not as raspy.

John Lennon, who already had a naturally rougher voice, would try to get his vocals even scratchier by either recording at the end of a long day, or doing that while lying on his back in the studio. These tricks are just as powerful as belting out a song.

While Bono's powerful vocals worked great for "Bad", "Pride" and "With or Without You", I think the remake of "One" with Mary J. Blige on lead vocals shows that belting out the wrong song actually takes away from it. Blige is an outstanding performer, but Bono's interpretation of "One" is spot on, as this is truly a song of desperation, not rejoicing.

It's with that in mind that we cannot just dismiss Bono's post 1990-vocals as being weaker. There's no doubt that at times he lost something. However, there are also times his vocals were sung in a certain manner for effect.

Songs like "Beautiful Day", "One", "In a Little While", etc., were purposely sung with that scratchy voice to emphasize the theme or lyrics. To prove this, listen to the live versions of "One" on the ZOO TV tour or "In a Little While" on the Elevation tour. Bono's vocals sound more clear and not as raspy.

John Lennon, who already had a naturally rougher voice, would try to get his vocals even scratchier by either recording at the end of a long day, or doing that while lying on his back in the studio. These tricks are just as powerful as belting out a song.

While Bono's powerful vocals worked great for "Bad", "Pride" and "With or Without You", I think the remake of "One" with Mary J. Blige on lead vocals shows that belting out the wrong song actually takes away from it. Blige is an outstanding performer, but Bono's interpretation of "One" is spot on, as this is truly a song of desperation, not rejoicing.

It's with that in mind that we cannot just dismiss Bono's post 1990-vocals as being weaker. There's no doubt that at times he lost something. However, there are also times his vocals were sung in a certain manner for effect.

With the exception of In A Little While, I've never really felt that Bono was really adopting a particular vocal style on BD or One.

This is all just speculation of course but my feeling has always been that after Lovetown Bono didn't really start singing again until the sessions for AB began, he's never really struck me as somebody who does vocal excercises whilst he's off the road or not in the studio to keep his voice in shape. I think overtime it just closed up a little, lost some power and range, which is why I think he sounds pretty raspy and strained throughout AB, (as well as the fact that he was now in his 30's and had meted out a fair bit of punishment upon his vocal chords for the past 10 years or so) I don't really think it was a calculated choice, I just think that that was the best he could do at the time. In my mind he was simply a little rusty after being off tour for a while and was still trying to get back some of that power and range throughout the making of AB. It seems to me that the reason why he's sounds so much clearer in the live versions and why the high notes don't pose much of a problem is because he's on the road again, freeing up his voice on a nightly basis and getting it back in shape, he's just finding it easier to sing the song.

I should point out that the scratchyness, whether by accident or design, perfectly complements the nature of the AB songs.

In John Lennon's case the only time I really know of him lying on his back to record vocals was for the recording on Revolution in 68 and that was more because he was apparently stoned at the time rather than because he wanted to achieve any effect with his voice, he just did not have the energy to give it anymore thrust.

No doubt you'll disagree with most of this. :wink:

I do agree with you about the MJB version of One though, I'm all for people putting their own stamp on things but for me the power of the original stemmed from the fact that Bono holds the emotion in check and gives a restrained performance. To wail all over it would have missed the point in my opinion.

His best vocal performances are captured on UABRS and R&H videos.

SBS in R&H is just epic.

Surrender on UABRS is almost as good.

Whenever a person bashes U2 i always tell them to watch these performances and tell me there wasnt a time when they were undeniably good.

His best vocal performances
SBS in R&H is just epic.

Still there isnt any "L'amoure", "Wiiiiiide Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake", "Waaaaaaaaaave", "Toooooooooooooouch", "Siiiiiiiiiiiiiing", "Feeeeeeeeeeeeeel", "Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"... in those performences.

SBS in R&H is just epic.
That version is weak in vocal performences compared to 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford.

YouTube - U2: Sunday, Bloody Sunday

Power isnt all about screaming, there is more power in a high clean note!

I always hate when he tries to be a tenor - it's always a little bit emberassing. [/url]

Tries? He is a tenor!

Still there isnt any "L'amoure", "Wiiiiiide Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake", "Waaaaaaaaaave", "Toooooooooooooouch", "Siiiiiiiiiiiiiing", "Feeeeeeeeeeeeeel", "Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"... in those performences.

Power isnt all about screaming, there is more power in a high clean note!

And great singing isn't about the high notes, Peter.

5.jpg

Is over-rated!

And great singing isn't about the high notes, Peter.

Is over-rated!

I guess Pavarotti, Maria Carrey, Freddie Mercury also is? no!

It is also about feeling and soul in your voice wich Bono is better on now then ever, in the 80's Bono could never put out so much emotion like he did on Streets on Slane, SYCMIOYO on Milan...

And high notes is very important in a good singer. Imagine Bono singing low all the time, Bono have an deep low voice, middle voice, high strong voice and a falsetto. That makes him a great varited singer.

The song Bad is a very good example on a song that starts calm with calm singing and then he hit the high note and holds it, THAT makes the songs climax. Well on the JT/LT tours it was "Wide Awaake" instead of "Wiiiiiiiiide Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake" that was on 2005-04-25 - Seattle, 2005-09-14 - Toronto, 2005-12-04 - Boston, 2006-12-04 - Tokyo... Imagine him peform the "feel", "sing", "l'amoure", "wave"... notes short like he did in the 80's with Wide Awake. Would that be intressting, NO.

His voice is so MUCH POWERFUL now in hit and holding the high notes. He has so much more controll, but also sings with much more passion and feeling then ever.

Also another great example that he is a greater singer now is that he don't need to shout and hit the high notes the make the listner find the voice intressting. Take this song for an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS_c42ByavE
There is no way Bono could have sing deep like this in the 80's, if Bono sang a song low and calm in the 80's it didnt sound so intressting. He was forced to sing in the higher register/screaming to make it more intressting. There is only one song in the 80's that was calm vocals on that was realy intressting and that was Wild Irisih Rose.

Comparing modern day Bono with 80s Bono is like comparing modern day McCartney with Beatles McCartney. If anyone wants to hear a voice that's reminiscent of 80s/early 90s Bono, listen to the Ours album "Mercy (Dancing For The Death of an Imaginary Enemy)" and I think you'll be impressed.

if I want to listen to high notes I go to the opera (and I really regullary do) - in nearly every bigger city there are classical singers who are from an technical-point-of view of course better singers than Bono. But they will never have this unique, raw powerful voice Bono has and had. Every singer from all these horrible Heavy Metal Bands from the eighties can sing falsetto and hold a note very long - it's not a big deal. That would be 10 high "C"s like Pavarotti did when he was young. That just not a playground Bono should play -

Comparing modern day Bono with 80s Bono is like comparing modern day McCartney with Beatles McCartney. If anyone wants to hear a voice that's reminiscent of 80s/early 90s Bono, listen to the Ours album "Mercy (Dancing For The Death of an Imaginary Enemy)" and I think you'll be impressed.

umm...no.

Union Chapel Bono sounded as good as 80's if not better....and I don't think ZooTV Bono could sing the word "stay" as he did at Union Chapel either...

The key with Vertigo Bono vs. 80's/90's Bono is timbre, plain and simple. On the Vertigo Tour, most of Bono's screams were much rougher and a lesser quality note than in 90's/80's simply because his vocal chords were younger and fresher back then. That is essentially the only thing Bono lost, that timbre...he can still scream powerfully, it just doesn't soar quite as beautifully as it did in the early days.

Having said that, Union Chapel was a very shocking turning point to say the least. The Union Chapel gig showed that Bono's 80's/90's timbre is BACK! And the latest beach clips seem to suggest the same thing. This is very encouraging. If Bono can get rid of that rougher voice we heard at times on the Vertigo Tour then I would argue he is at one of his peaks in terms of vocals these days...That is the key, timbre...if you combine a younger sounding voice with the technical skills he has picked up, I think this is a strong arguement, and we could very well hear an incredible voice in 2009 and on this new record.

I really don't think much has changed in terms of Bono's overall vocals between now and then except timbre...Except now he can do things that the 80's/90's Bono was simply incapable of doing, such as the "sing" note and the "wave" note, for example...80's/90's Bono could just not do that, not even come close to today's Bono in that respect...

Once again, if the timbre of Union Chapel gig is back, I'd say Bono is in top form for this album/tour. :)

if I want to listen to high notes I go to the opera (and I really regullary do) - in nearly every bigger city there are classical singers who are from an technical-point-of view of course better singers than Bono. But they will never have this unique, raw powerful voice Bono has and had. Every singer from all these horrible Heavy Metal Bands from the eighties can sing falsetto and hold a note very long - it's not a big deal. That would be 10 high "C"s like Pavarotti did when he was young. That just not a playground Bono should play -

It isnt just about the power... It is both about the notes, sould, feeling and power. Bono has all that now, but in the 80's he had almost only power.

umm...no.

Union Chapel Bono sounded as good as 80's if not better....and I don't think ZooTV Bono could sing the word "stay" as he did at Union Chapel either...

Did we see the same footage? :eyebrow:

The key with Vertigo Bono vs. 80's/90's Bono is timbre, plain and simple. On the Vertigo Tour, most of Bono's screams were much rougher and a lesser quality note than in 90's/80's simply because his vocal chords were younger and fresher back then. That is essentially the only thing Bono lost, that timbre...he can still scream powerfully, it just doesn't soar quite as beautifully as it did in the early days.

You're right. Just like my comparison to Beatles McCartney to now McCartney. :shrug:

Having said that, Union Chapel was a very shocking turning point to say the least. The Union Chapel gig showed that Bono's 80's/90's timbre is BACK! And the latest beach clips seem to suggest the same thing. This is very encouraging. If Bono can get rid of that rougher voice we heard at times on the Vertigo Tour then I would argue he is at one of his peaks in terms of vocals these days...That is the key, timbre...if you combine a younger sounding voice with the technical skills he has picked up, I think this is a strong arguement, and we could very well hear an incredible voice in 2009 and on this new record.

First of all, I disagree with you about the Union Chapel show. Sure, he hit the notes, but Squeaks Hewson (1997-now) was present as well.

Secondly, I don't understand how people can tell anything from those beach clips. I've listened to them quite loudly on quality headphones and everything's pretty damn muddled.

Thirdly, perhaps his voice is trained well these days--it's the raw power of Bono's vocals from the 80s that hooked me, personally, with this band--but whatever he had in the 80s is gone due to age, use, and other elements (see cigarettes and alcohol).

I really don't think much has changed in terms of Bono's overall vocals between now and then except timbre...Except now he can do things that the 80's/90's Bono was simply incapable of doing, such as the "sing" note and the "wave" note, for example...80's/90's Bono could just not do that, not even come close to today's Bono in that respect...

If you mean not much has changed in terms of Bono's overall vocals between the Vertigo tour and now, I can agree with you. But I'd take 80s power over perfect pitch with squeaks anyday. :shrug:

Anyway, don't "um... no" me. Because I'll do it right back. And these are what we call opinions. Don't tell me I'm wrong and then claim that you yourself are correct. Because, to me, you're wrong. It's how I see it.

How is Beatles McCartney/now McCartney a comparison to Bono ? That's a 40 year gap, Bono has about decade left to match that. Let's see how Bono sounds at his age first. And Bono's had far more tough stuff to sing in his career, and I think most would agree Bono > Macca in singing terms.

How is Beatles McCartney/now McCartney a comparison to Bono ? That's a 40 year gap, Bono has about decade left to match that. Let's see how Bono sounds at his age first. And Bono's had far more tough stuff to sing in his career.

Bono's had more tough stuff to sing in his career? Like McCartney's shrieking Helter Skelter? Or his Steven Tyler-esque vocals on the second half of Hey Jude? How about Maybe I'm Amazed? Those are only a few examples. Anyway, Bono's voice has aged more than McCartney's because McCartney cares for his voice, and he always has, while Bono, frankly, didn't (though I tend to believe he cares for it more now, despite the cigars).

Yes. Pride, Bad, WOWY, ISHFWILF, several songs on Rattle and Hum, "don't you look back" bit in Who's gonna ride your wild horses, Kite, Sometimes ... I doubt Macca could do that.

McCartney struggles on Helter Skelter, compare Bono's vocal. And that was mid-tour as opposed to a well rested McCartney that stopped touring 2 years ago. I never cared for his attempts at screaming.

Like I said, compare McCartney's current voice when Bono's 66. And consider one had a 10 year break between the last Beatles tour and his first worldwide Wings tour (and a second long break until his first major solo tour in 1990), and the other's been touring for 25+ years. His longest live break was 4 years.

Anyway, Bono's voice has aged more than McCartney's because McCartney cares for his voice, and he always has, while Bono, frankly, didn't (though I tend to believe he cares for it more now, despite the cigars).

I agree with tourist here. In my earlier post when I said that I didn't think Bono was the type of person to do vocal excercises to keep his voice in shape whilst not on tour or in the studio, McCartney is the exact opposite.

He has said in interviews how he knows that if he doesn't sing for a while his voice is going lose some of its flexibility, so he often does vocal excercises at home to keep it in shape. He's always tried to protect his voice, whereas in Bono's case I honestly don't think he even gave his voice a second thought (in actual fact I think he took his range and power a little for granted at the time) until around Pop-Popmart when he encountered some real difficulties and realised he needed to start taking better care of it.

As tourist says he seems to care much more these days about the condition of his vocals.

I think some of McCartney's 'screamer' songs are better than others, Oh Darling is a real favourite (Lennon even asked Paul if he could sing it he liked it so much) and there's a little known Wings song called Call Me Back Again where McCartney pulls of a real belter of a vocal and sounds so confident whilst doing it.

I don't think McCartney quite has the voice he used to, he's a little shakier and a little more strained but he is in his 60's now, but its stil recognisably him, it doesn't really matter what time of his career a record is from, once you hear it, you know instantly its McCartney, I'm not sure you can say that about Bono, the non-fan would be forgiven for thinking that the person singing WOWY and Vertigo are two different men.

I think where were articles about Bono been having a singing teacher in the 00's. (he certainly changed his singing in the 90's) Also remember those "Vocal aid" pills in the new One video.

I always thought what did Bono in wasn't as much smoking (though definitely not a good idea for a singer) as the relentless touring and shouting for the first 10 years of his career. I'd love to know what caused the massive change in Zoo TV-Popmart, does he adress that in U2 by U2 ?

It might just have been the longest break? ZooTV wrapped up at the end of 93, Popmart didn’t kick off till the start of 97. Had they gone 3 years without a tour before? Maybe a break that long, with a decent amount of mucking around in between (hitting somewhere between 5-10yrs of smoking at that point as well), that might have been enough to really put a strain on early, and then once damage is done, I guess it’s done and to continue pushing just does it further. (I have no idea though)

I don't think we'll ever know what really happened but I tend to look at the 90's as a slow decline for Bono's voice. In 92 during ZOO TV his voice had clearly lost some of its rich power and sounded a little thinner and more lightweight but he was still capable of soaring and roaring when he felt able. In 93 I felt it slipped further, being on the road for so long and recording another album obviously had an effect here. Its a subtle change but to my ears he sounds weaker and is less willing to really attempt the high notes. You can see how tired he was on the Sydney DVD, while his voice is by no means bad here, I don't think he does anything all that spectacular either. I remember one Christmas I got both Rattle and Hum the movie and the Sydney 93 video and was amazed at the sheer power and energy he was capable of in 87 and the disappointment I felt when I heard how his voice had changed by 93.

I think things slipped further around 96 when combined with the alcohol, the smoking (cigars?) and the allergies that he didn't know he had, along with not bothering to keep his voice in shape, his vocals became croakier and he lost alot of his range. I just think it all took its toll, he was in his mid-thirties then and although by no means an old man, he had been through alot and had inflicted a lot upon his voice. Its amazing he managed to get away with it for as long as he did.

Although smoking and drinking obviously doesn't help a singer, I do think that had Bono learnt more about technique at an earlier age then his voice would not have deteriorated quite as much as it did and would be in much better shape today.

I know what you mean - I remember listening to Zoo Europa, my first bootleg, and thinking he'd sound exactly like AB...it was surprising to hear just how gravely he sounded live. Even around 95 he still sounded fairly close to that (HMTMKMKM, Passengers, that later version of Tomorrow he did with Adam) and definitely better than 1997-2003 period. At least he got smarter about his own instrument in the band now (didn't he also have some throat surgery ? maybe that affected the voice too).

Well, there was a 6 year gap, another album and another (though short) tour in between Rattle and Sydney. There's even a small change in JT-Lovetown in his voice.

I know what you mean - I remember listening to Zoo Europa, my first bootleg, and thinking he'd sound exactly like AB...it was surprising to hear just how gravely he sounded live. Even around 95 he still sounded fairly close to that (HMTMKMKM, Passengers, that later version of Tomorrow he did with Adam) and definitely better than 1997-2003 period. At least he got smarter about his own instrument in the band now (didn't he also have some throat surgery ? maybe that affected the voice too).

Well, there was a 6 year gap, another album and another (though short) tour in between Rattle and Sydney. There's even a small change in JT-Lovetown in his voice.

I think Peterrr believes that Bono had his peaks and dips in the 90's and that although he's weaker in 93, he recaptured some strength in 95 when he recorded The Cross (I think thats what its called) with Prince. Its all taste I guess but I personally don't really hear it. HMTMKMKM he sounds pretty similiar to AB, a little thinner and shakier but it suits the style of the song and I didn't give it much thought at the time.

Yes there is a slight change from JT-Lovetown, in my mind I've always thought that whereas in the 80's his voice just got better and better and hit a real peak in 89 with Lovetown, in the 90's the opposite happened, it appeared to get worse, something Bono obviously felt too at the end of Popmart as he actually made a concious effort to figure out exactly what was going on with his vocals.

I'm glad he did, although I don't think we really started hearing the results of the changes he'd made until the Vertigo tour.

Well, I don't hear the difference between 92 and 93 Bono. His peaks for me were UF-JT for the clean, non-gravely voice, Zoo TV for ability and 2003-now for control and proper technique. Someone else on this forum said it once: if only he had the power of 15 years ago with what he knows about singing now...

I think Peterrr believes that Bono had his peaks and dips in the 90's and that although he's weaker in 93, he recaptured some strength in 95 when he recorded The Cross (I think thats what its called) with Prince. Its all taste I guess but I personally don't really hear it. HMTMKMKM he sounds pretty similiar to AB, a little thinner and shakier but it suits the style of the song and I didn't give it much thought at the time.

Yes there is a slight change from JT-Lovetown, in my mind I've always thought that whereas in the 80's his voice just got better and better and hit a real peak in 89 with Lovetown, in the 90's the opposite happened, it appeared to get worse, something Bono obviously felt too at the end of Popmart as he actually made a concious effort to figure out exactly what was going on with his vocals.

I'm glad he did, although I don't think we really started hearing the results of the changes he'd made until the Vertigo tour.

Well the he had some peaks in the 90's, the falsetto was as its best. ZooTV 92 was very strong, but in 93 he was very tired.
94-96 was an amazing, TSOHOSOS is an amazing performence, very smiliar Union 07 and Mandela 08 performences.
In screams the peak was in the 80's, in falsetto: the 90s, in deepness, hiting high notes and holidng them for long 06-08.

But I think in many ways Bonos voice was much stronger in 84-86 then 87-89.

A singing coach thought he had a good range in 1977:

"He has one of the best-known voices in rock 'n' roll. But it could all have been so different for Bono had he been successful auditioning at Dublin's prestigious College of Music in the late 1970s. The school's singing coach Veronica Dunne claims while punk rock was raging in the streets of Dublin, Bono, alias Paul Hewson, auditioned for her in 1977 in the hope of enrolling at the Chatham Row singing school. Speaking to the Sunday Tribune 81-year-old Dunne said: "I can clearly remember Bono coming in because he had such an unusual name... But I remember he was a very polite young man. Dressed in leather so he might have come on a motorbike. He told me before he started singing that he sang in a pop group." She said, "I must say Bono as he called himself had a lovely voice. Joyful and charming. I remember it ringing out around the room as he went through his scales. After he finished I complimented him on his range and performance." Despite going on to sing with U2, whose combined wealth is estimated at €624m, Bono failed to make the cut. "Unfortunately I had to say no to poor Bono. I couldn't do anything for him at the time because my term had just started and I had a stable of young singers at the time. When I told Bono the news, he seemed very disappointed but there was nothing I could do. He went off looking a little sad."

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2008/sep/14/singing-coach-regrets-having-to-say-no-to-poor-bon/

Well, I don't hear the difference between 92 and 93 Bono. His peaks for me were UF-JT for the clean, non-gravely voice, Zoo TV for ability and 2003-now for control and proper technique. Someone else on this forum said it once: if only he had the power of 15 years ago with what he knows about singing now...

Yeah the change from 92 to 93 is pretty understated, I always compare NYD from the Washington 92 bootleg with the Sydney 93 rendition. In the former, mistakes aside, he's singing with plenty of enthusiasm and energy, in the latter I always think 'Bono looks absolutely exhausted, he needs to have a sit down for a few minutes', I mean he tries the high notes but the voice isn't quite up to it and he lacks the energy to really belt it out. You're right about the 6 years between Rattle and Hum and Sydney, I think for me I always look at the transition from Lovetown to AB where there's a marked difference in the quality of his voice. I mean on the Rotterdam nights in early 90 he is in brilliant form but by mid 91 when AB was released he sounds scratchy and strained, thats the change which always confused me so much, anyway i've spoken about this earlier on, so I won't go over it again.

But I think in many ways Bonos voice was much stronger in 84-86 then 87-89.

I think he was capable of real power throughout both those era's but I just prefer the overall sound and quality of Bono's voice more during the Rattle and Hum/Lovetown years, warm and rich and clear as a bell.

Just to talk about McCartney again for a moment, I think one of the reasons why his voice hasn't changed as much as Bono's is because although he could wail with the best of them, he never really subjected his voice to the kind of relentless abuse that Bono did, I mean Bono used to put his voice through the wringer on a nightly basis, I don't think McCartney pushed himself quite as far, quite so often.

Bono's quite similiar to Robert Plant in that he could scream his head off on stage in his youth and the results would sometimes be wildly impressive, but he ended up paying for it when he got a bit older. I still quite like Plant's voice but I don't think its up there with the stuff he was doing with Zeppelin in the 70's.

Back
Top Bottom