Bono criticised for endorsing Shoot the Boer song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono has his moments. Yet if this is true, this really is terrible. :angry: :sad: :doh:

Next thing you know they'll be another statement on U2.com tomorrow.

NO, I mean it may be all a lie!!! He can´t have endorsed that......

Read the article and then decide if the word "endorsed" is appropriate in this situation, or if it was the wrong word to use in this thread title and/or article.

maybe he checked the U2 database to see that he isnt the most searched celeb in South Africa and that U2 have only had maybe 10 #1's which isnt good enough

SO, he thought he'd get as much exposure as possible

I've no idea about the meaning of what he said, but further proof that musicians should stick to the music as they cannot save the world, or make a huge change as Bono thinks.

I say this in full awareness of being a white American and not a South African of any kind (so kindly tell me to shove my white American privilege), but jeez, overreact much?

It does make me wonder how many people heard "Bono wants white farmers to die!" instead of actually reading the comment in context.

I don't know what to make of this, to be honest. I'm not convinced this is true or whatever.

i mean, though, if you were in his position, wouldn't you just be really super careful when talking to journalists and just plain avoid the sticky subject areas, or not be afraid to say "i don't know" and change the subject, just for fear that they might twist your words and take stuff out of context?

i do love when he gets a scorching, justified or not :D

Some of you need to look up the word 'endorsement'.

i would hope some of us are ignoring the sensationalist thread title, reading the actual articles and thinking for ourselves :wave:

Yet more hooks for the haters to hang on Bono. I must say they've not had a good time of it PR-wise over the last few years (tax evasion, RED campaign, U2=BBC, Spiderman...) :huh:

i would hope some of us are ignoring the sensationalist thread title, reading the actual articles and thinking for ourselves

It's not a sensationalist thread title. I copied and pasted the BBC News headline. And it's absolutely true. He is being criticised for endorsing the song. I agree with you that it's not 100% clear that he did endorse the song, but he is still being criticised for it!

His mistake is trying to appear knowledgeable on a subject he obviously doesn't fully understand. It's this lack of honesty that is disappointing as it offends South Africans and others, and reflects badly on his art and humanitarian work. (I do however think it's a bit of a storm in the teacup!)

i wasn't getting at you, Balfron, i was pointing out, in response to certain people commenting on the supposed incorrect use of the term "endorse", that no matter how sensationalist the title is, some of us are quite capable of not taking the title at face value and reading the rest of the articles so as to decide for ourselves...

and i agree with you, it's the lack of honesty that is sad, as though he has to prove that he knows it all... rather than wibbling on and digging himself into deep shit, like i said above, he could have easily said "i don't know" and moved onto a different subject...

it might be a storm in a teacup, he might have been quoted out of context, but i find it weird that, for someone who promotes peace, he can say there is a place for those kind of songs, unless he means "relegated to the dim dank archives of humanity" of course :D

His mistake is trying to appear knowledgeable on a subject he obviously doesn't fully understand. It's this lack of honesty that is disappointing as it offends South Africans and others, and reflects badly on his art and humanitarian work. (I do however think it's a bit of a storm in the teacup!)

"His lack of honesty", come on, I think that is too much, if trying to appear knowledgeable on a subject someone obviously doesn't fully understand were such a serious thing, we should be considering closing down this site, as no one here could be considered completely honest.

I don't understand very well what the problem with the song is, I do know that the boers enslaved black people in South Africa for generations and I don't expect them to have forgotten it in twenty years, I expect people to sing the song without even thinking what they are singing, that is what I interpret from Bono's telling about him singing a rebel song as a child, that's what I think Bono is saying, that's not an endorsement.

I'm not defending the song, I want that to be clear, I don't even know it, I'm anti racism and I consider myself a pacifist, nothing justifies killing a person in my eyes, but I also think that white people in South Africa must understand and not forget that they were the opressors, it wasn't the other way round, I don't think resentment comes from a song, it comes from the past.

Another shining example of great journalism. :up: And people wonder why Bono is hated... well many a time it's not the man's fault!

And suuure the guy from the paper says that in the rest of the story it's explained that he does not support it. The least they could do is issue an official apology for using such a title and stirring so much unnecessary shit.

I don't get it? When reading the article the only thing that remotely has an endorsement is the word "Endorsing" in the title. There is nothing in the quotes from Bono that even suggests he endorses the song. Bono said nothing wrong here... pretty fucking stupid article IMO

Back
Top Bottom