Bono - " best 3 weeks in the studio since 1979"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rennowba

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Bono made a (somewhat) surprise appearance on RTE TV tonight in Ireland during the 50th anniversary special for The Late Late Show, and he made a few interesting comments about U2's album progress.

Host Ryan Tubridy began by asking Bono what the band is up to currently.

"Looking for the perfect pop song. Edge is in denial of his genius. I'm a little too sure of my own. Larry is suspicious of both and Adam sees merit in both. They're unbelievable. They really want it, though, I will say that. As a band there's no sense of entitlement. I think they're very aware that U2's gotta do something very special to have a reason to exist right now, so that's what we're doing. We're song writing -- you know the process. But it's -- they're amazing men. They really are extraordinary. They really, really want it."

"There won't be a U2 album unless there's something really special. You just gotta go to that place. You gotta dig a deep well and see what you can pull up. We've been through many songs and there's some great stuff. I would say we had the best three weeks in the studio that we've had since, like, 1979. Three weeks is all it should take...."

Later in the interview, he says he knows U2 has a great song "because the band will stop arguing."

You can watch the show online via RTE, but it may only be viewable for the next three weeks. Bono's segment starts at the 2:00:00 mark, and then he starts talking about the album at about 2:03:00.

Now if bono wasnt such a bull s##ter around new album time id be really exicted. Ok maybe im a tad exicted :)

But the bullshit is getting hyperbolic. This is the time. This is the place. Three weeks people.

Edge is in denial of his genius!

"Looking for the perfect pop song" :doh:

It just seems like Bono's looking to write the next Beautiful Day, not the next Streets. The next Pride, not the next Bad. The next Vertigo, not the next Zooropa.

And that just makes me sad.

(I love all these more immediate U2 songs as well, I just think the band is at its best when it writes, "deeper" music :))

What the fuck did they do in 1979 that was so amazing?

Felt the pull in the land of a thousand guilts and poured cement, lamented and assured, to the lights and town below; faster than the speed of sound and faster than they thought they'd go?

It just seems like Bono's looking to write the next Beautiful Day, not the next Streets. The next Pride, not the next Bad. The next Vertigo, not the next Zooropa.

Only took a handful of posts for the overanalysing of that exact quote to begin. :wink:

I think before people start losing their minds in anticipation of some sort of announcement or big news in 3 weeks time they should reread the quote and come to the conclusion that the two 3 week lines are connected...

As in "we didn't really know what we had there for a while... a lot of disagreement on direction, but we had a great 3 weeks, so noe everybody's on board... sometimes that's all it takes to pull it together"

Which is of course still great news... just not news that anything is imminent.

Three weeks is all it should take ... for a full album ? No way. Not with this band.

Three good weeks can be a decisive push for the recording an album. Looks like this new producer (Danger Mouse?) is really working out. Did Eno and Lanois ever get this "best work since 1979" comment ?

Edge is in denial of his genius - very true, given his playing on the last two records.

What I took from this interview is that the band were working steadily for three weeks at some point and made some progress. I'm glad for that, but we still don't know how close they are to a completed project. If Bono had said, "We're done and it's coming out later this year," then I'd be really excited.

that is the most any band member has said lately without really saying anything at all! :D

I think before people start losing their minds in anticipation of some sort of announcement or big news in 3 weeks time they should reread the quote and come to the conclusion that the two 3 week lines are connected...

As in "we didn't really know what we had there for a while... a lot of disagreement on direction, but we had a great 3 weeks, so noe everybody's on board... sometimes that's all it takes to pull it together"

Which is of course still great news... just not news that anything is imminent.

:up:

yeah, what headache said.

it's not huge news and it's nothing to go gaga over (not that anybody here is really doing that), but it is certainly good news, and good that they're working on things and presumably have picked a direction.

I really think it depends on what context we're talking about...

I mean the AB sessions seemed to be filled with strife.

Pop sessions seemed to be filled with anxiety.

The 79 sessions were probably fresh and exciting. So maybe he's just thinking about it in those terms. :shrug:

(I love all these more immediate U2 songs as well, I just think the band is at its best when it writes, "deeper" music :))
My thoughts as well, although "Pride" is a great piece of pop music, not the mindless boredom of "Vertigo" or "Get On Your Boots". U2 never used to dumb down their pop songs; now, it's to be expected.

I would be heartened if U2 had expressed their more leftwing sentiments of the past, but it's of note that the band hasn't shown any support for the Occupy movement; '80s U2 would have. 2000s U2 is too intertwined with corrupt folks like Bill Clinton who caused the economic crisis by deregulating things so much and pushing the Washington Consensus of cutting social programs and appeasing scum-bag investors (who often don't know anything and slyly bet against markets for more profit) on the rest of the world, especially poorer countries.

This isn't even critical enough of Obama and his Clintonian administration, but it's pretty good:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/money-power-wall-street/

Back
Top Bottom