Bono - " best 3 weeks in the studio since 1979"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Native Son :down: I really can't get all the worship that version gets around here. Vertigo is pretty darn close to the "perfect pop song", and a rocker too. Native Son would have been a big dud.

:up: to U2 for getting it so right.

"A Man And A Woman" might be the best track on that record. It's also certainly one of the best things the band has ever done. 28 year old Bono would over-sing that into it's grave. I'm not looking for youth in that tune. Youth couldn't write that tune.

No, I wasnt using hyperbole. Mercy just simply as good as some think. If anything, the hyperbole continues unabated from the 15.138 people on Interference who love it so much.

I'd much prefer to listen to AMAAW, OOTS, SYCMIOOY, or Yahweh.

Matter of fact I'm sick of Mercy worship. :lol:

"A Man And A Woman" might be the best track on that record. It's also certainly one of the best things the band has ever done. 28 year old Bono would over-sing that into it's grave. I'm not looking for youth in that tune. Youth couldn't write that tune.

I fully respect your opinion.

But it's not the vocals that I dislike. Rather, I dislike everything else about the song. I agree - vocally, Bono sings it perfectly. I just hate the lyrics, melody and music. Sorry - one of the worst songs U2 has made, IMO.

But the fact that you think it's the best on HTDAAB shows the fanbase's diversity.

Well, I just read the first post and a few replies before skipping to the end. I don't post on here much anymore but I found this to be worth commenting on...Are we gonna fall for this again???!!! "Edge is a genius", "best sessions in years" "looking for the perfect pop song" Are you serious Bono? This is seriously almost the exact same stuff he has said leading up to the last 3 albums and we have gotten 3 fairly mediocre records compared to everything pre Pop. And people on here are honestly still excited to hear stuff like this?

I find his comments disappointing as they are sign of another overcooked record with "safe" songs that could better be described as "U2 lite" or U2 music for people over 40 (I guess not a coincidence considering their age). Don't get me wrong, I still love the band for their 80s and 90s stuff and even the recent stuff has a few gems that make it worth a listen once in a while. Its just that since Pop they can’t seem to get beyond this obsession of making the perfect record which has the effect of drawing out the production process waayyyy too long to the point that it waters down any originality or magic that these new tracks may have initially had.

I fully respect your opinion.

But it's not the vocals that I dislike. Rather, I dislike everything else about the song. I agree - vocally, Bono sings it perfectly. I just hate the lyrics, melody and music. Sorry - one of the worst songs U2 has made, IMO.

But the fact that you think it's the best on HTDAAB shows the fanbase's diversity.

:up:

I do have to say, my opinion on that tune has changed over the years. It's grown on me in a strange, strange way. I think it's all Adam's fault.

Native Son :down: I really can't get all the worship that version gets around here. Vertigo is pretty darn close to the "perfect pop song", and a rocker too. Native Son would have been a big dud.

:up: to U2 for getting it so right.
Lyrics, lyrics, lyrics. Native Son is a song that means something. Vertigo is a bunch of rhymes thrown together incoherently.

(And a much better bridge. "FREEEEEEEE" is ten times better than Bono creepily muttering "all of this can be yours.")

Native Son is a great song. Vertigo is silly.

Lyrics, lyrics, lyrics. Native Son is a song that means something. Vertigo is a bunch of rhymes thrown together incoherently.

(And a much better bridge. "FREEEEEEEE" is ten times better than Bono creepily muttering "all of this can be yours.")

Native Son is a great song. Vertigo is silly.

This post didn't show up for me before I posted my last "fun" post, but it still stands. NS may be great for you, but not for me. I understand that it's about something important, but I wouldn't trade it for Vertigo any day. It doesn't really work for me and maybe those lyrics could work in another song and that could be great. But Vertigo works (and worked) for them, and me and a ton of other people. I love it. And I get it when Bono says that he's proud to hear that song come on the radio or in a club. It's flat out fun rock and roll and that's just what we need sometimes.

I find Native Son to a good concept handled in a not very compelling way. Vertigo is silly and fun and not much more, but pretty good at what it does. So I'm not sure how to compare the two.

Also I might add that I don't think Vertigo is about nothing. It's definitely about something, come on! And I like the lyrics and that they are the way they are. That's classic U2/Bono right there. And yet people complain that his lyrics have become too literal. :shrug:

Native Son is irritating. It's right on the brink of something really powerful, but the pieces don't add up. There's a disconnect between the music and lyrics, and the chorus is too wordy.

Vertigo is dumb, but it's working with the riff (which is a great one) instead of pulling in the opposite direction.

That sums up my feelings about the two as well, except I don't think Native Son is irritating. I think it's very good, but I think they made the right choice in changing it to Vertigo for purposes of single and a song they'd have to sing night after night on tour, something to get the crowd pumped.

Native Son is irritating. It's right on the brink of something really powerful, but the pieces don't add up. There's a disconnect between the music and lyrics, and the chorus is too wordy.

Vertigo is dumb, but it's working with the riff (which is a great one) instead of pulling in the opposite direction.

:up:

Vertigo is kinda dumb. But to me, dumb doesn't always equal bad. It's got silly lyrics, but they work here. Not every song I listen to has to be a lyrical masterpiece. Sometimes, I just wanna hear rock and not really think about lyrics. And songs like Vertigo can do that for me.

And for a lot of songs, the music overpowers the lyrics. Vertigo is one of those songs. I don't care about the words, any song with that riff will catch my attention.

If Native Son is the best "political U2" we can hope for these days, give us Vertigo any day.

This is a pretty great litmus test for whether someone is just being some kind of contrarian hater in preferring all the "older" HTDAAB versions.

Native Son is a great idea. The execution just doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom