Bono at Pearl Jam 20 Festival this weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like Rod Stewart did?

rod_stewart_-_atlantic_crossing.jpg

Oh my. :huh: :tsk:

If U2 did what Pearl Jam did, everybody would be bitching about how there was too much ATYCLB and HTDAAB (cause you know there would be).

The Dave Matthews Band just played a 3 night stand at the Gorge Amphitheater in Washington State (dream venue to see U2 play), and didn't repeat a single song all 3 nights. And yet, DMB fans are bitching about the setlists. Apparently, they didn't include enough "rarities".

It's the nature of the internet...

People like to READ rarities on a list.

Definitely true, but Pearl Jam does have the official bootleg program, so whenever a rarity/fan favourite shows up, a fan will have it on a brand new live album in the not so distant future. I for one am delighted to see these kinds of setlists not just because anything will be possible on concerts I'll see, but because I'll be able to listen to all of these things in great sound quality.

When it comes to bitching on Pearl Jam forums, today I learned from a certain fan that PJ have had the same setlists for the last 10 years, after he got back slightly disappointed from his 17th show (approx.). The mind boggles. Truly.

If U2 did what Pearl Jam did, everybody would be bitching about how there was too much ATYCLB and HTDAAB (cause you know there would be).

There would be more setlist whiners, since the Pearl Jam experience has taught me that the more the band spoils its fanbase, the more bitching there's going to be. But people who are afraid of certain material coming to the foreground would not be dissatisfied at each and every concert, since this factor would change all the time. This kind of frustration would be much longer, if not permanent, in the case of a static setlist. As the 360 tour in 2010 showed us, relating to the number of ATYCLB and HTDAAB songs.

someone would always bitch about something... and yes, people compare different setlists to others on PJ forums and dislike some more than others... but i don't think anyone complains about the fact that they DO change up their setlist on every show, and try never to play the same show twice. at least no saine person does... there's always a few wackadoodles who bitch for bitchings sake.

This kind of frustration would be much longer, if not permanent, in the case of a static setlist. As the 360 tour in 2010 showed us, relating to the number of ATYCLB and HTDAAB songs.

Bomb only got two songs in the setlists during the whole tour.

With ATYCLB...I think the band view it as the third major album - the comeback (with the breakthrough of JT and reinvention of AB). So they feel it should get enough time in the setlist.

Bomb only got two songs in the setlists during the whole tour.

Thank you for clarifying that. I was talking about the sum of ATYCLB and HTDAAB songs, which at its peak stood at 7 songs.

Thank you for clarifying that. I was talking about the sum of ATYCLB and HTDAAB songs, which at its peak stood at 7 songs.

True.

At its peak, we also got half of a twenty year old album (and frequently several songs off that album opening) whilst them cutting down NLOTH.

AB got more play in the end than NLOTH and Bomb combined. I think that is more bothersome than having 4 to 5 songs off ATYCLB in the set.

I'll have to disagree. Because Bomb and NLOTH actually have good songs on them. :wink:

3 of the 5 ATYCLB songs really had little to no place in the set. And 2 were completely abominable.

ATYCLB has good songs as well. :shrug:

Elevation needs a rest. As does Stuck. The other three were good and worked within the setlist.

:drool: Yet people were still moaning about the PJ set list over at 10C.

I guarantee you there was bitching.

When U2 played several PopMart shows in Chicago, one person bitched she didn't hear a few songs. I stated U2 played them the night before so they mixed up the set list. This didn't matter to her - she didn't hear those songs and was upset.

In other words, unless one attends every single show, you'll miss something. And as most cannot attend all shows, there'll be bitching. :applaud:

This is why I prefer U2's slightly more static list with a few surprises. It keeps the masses mollified while still throwing in treats for the die-hards. :love:

I guarantee you there was bitching.

there was a few people wondering if they needed two nights of temple of the dog...

in my opinion there have been any number of better shows... the gorge shows in '06, and of course the 3 mansfield shows immediately come to mind... but most people in attendance loved PJ20.

and again... yes, people debate setlists and shows being better than others at PJ forums. but if you took a survey and asked if you'd prefer that the band just played static setlists with very little as far as change from night to night... yea... i don't think that would go over very well.

there's a difference between comparing the strengths of various setlists vs. bitching about a band using the same setlist every show.

Back
Top Bottom