Bono as an actor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hikerdeb

The Fly
This past weekend I watched my old VHS tape of the "Best of 1980-1990" video collection, and I had forgotten how hilarious "The Sweetest Thing" was. Bono's Charlie Chaplin imitation was priceless!

That got me to thinking: What struck me the first time I ever saw Bono was that he was not just a singer but a performer, with a flair for the dramatic. Think about his theatrics on songs such as "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "Bullet the Blue Sky." And then, of course, there's his MacPhisto character.

A number of well-known singers have branched out into acting and done fairly well at it. Bono has made it clear that he does not want a solo career as a singer without U2, so if the band ever ceases to exist, presumably he would not be singing much, if at all. If that happens, do you think Bono would ever try his hand at acting? And if so, could he be successful at it?

(P.S. -- The "Sweetest Thing" video is pretty amazing from a logistical standpoint. It was shot in one long continuous take, so everything -- the elephant, orchestra, Irish dancers, sky-writing airplane, etc. -- all had to be precisely coordinated. I wonder how many takes they had to do to get it right.)

I have not yet seen "Across the Universe" -- I guess I should. I know Bono has done some bit parts and cameos here and there, but I was thinking in terms of him doing more of a major role.

There's no question he's something of a thespian. He has a natural instinct for voices, characters and theatrics. I mean, the Fly and Macphisto - fantastic theatrical creations. I think he'd flourish more as a stage peformer than in a major film role though. Film actors require a much greater range and I don't think Bono has the nuances (at the moment - in ten years who knows?).

Yeah, at this point, I'm not sure he could ever learn to be subtle. He's spent 30 years on stage, where you have to exaggerate your mannerisms in order to convey your emotions to thousands of people. It would be hard to rein that in. On the other hand, he's a smart guy and a quick learner, so he might surprise us.

He wanted to be an actor instead of a singer, apparently (keep coming across it in the beginning of U2 by U2 and Unforgettable-Fire-the-book), and that's why he's the front man...or something like that. And didn't he take acting lessons around when U2 started out in the 70s?

:shifty: I keep watching Across The Universe just to see him...even with that moustache...the whole point really is that he's singing. The role's kind of like a mishmash of his stage personas in the 90s. It'd be interesting to see how he'd act in a role like something he hasn't done before...

There's no question he's something of a thespian. He has a natural instinct for voices, characters and theatrics. I mean, the Fly and Macphisto - fantastic theatrical creations. I think he'd flourish more as a stage peformer than in a major film role though. Film actors require a much greater range and I don't think Bono has the nuances (at the moment - in ten years who knows?).

I think that Bono would tank as a stage actor too. For starters, he can't remember half the lyrics in his own songs. He'd almost certainly butcher character lines written by someone else. I also think he has a limited range as an actor - he can play the ironic, eccentric, slightly dark characters pretty well, but I don't see him in a nice-guy role or in a serious/authoritative role. If anything, I see him making a nice method actor in films.

this thread is funny! Love it! I was just thinking this a while ago too, I think he would do really well as character types like himself. I forgot what type I was thinking: ferverent, impassioned types?

Apparently Larry is quite the actor, he sure is pursuing it. Edge could make a great host/compere (he narrated some "Glastonbury thoughts" video for U2.com and it was very reflective with all the right pauses and stuff.) Adam my darling as an actor:doh: Remember the Letterman draft induced motor segment?

Back to Bono: yeah, he really has a thing for accents, which he likes to demonstrate in interviews. So, possibility as a stand-up comic like his doppelganger? :hmm: (don't slay me)

God, that's funny! They sure put a lot of effort into what seems to be a little promotional clip for the record company. Great Brando impression from Bono.

This past weekend I watched my old VHS tape of the "Best of 1980-1990" video collection, and I had forgotten how hilarious "The Sweetest Thing" was. Bono's Charlie Chaplin imitation was priceless!

Have you seen a picture of Charlie Chaplin? He was gorgeous! I never knew that he was from East London I thought he was American. He was born in the late 1800's.

God, that's funny! They sure put a lot of effort into what seems to be a little promotional clip for the record company. Great Brando impression from Bono.

I can do Brando from the Godfather as well. I just need 2 cherry tomatoes to put in my cheek!

hammier than a ham sandwich though
biggrin2.gif
...and hammier than a hamster? I've got a new hamster on Saturday. She's so tiny.

Maybe he could get into theatre acting. It's completely different from TV and film acting as emotions are portrayed through phrasing and the tone of your voice rather than facial expressions.

I've been meaning to mention something about The Million Dollar Hotel which he co-wrote the script. What genre would you put it in? Looking at my film books it seems as though it could be described as a Drama/Art -narrative film. A lot of Wenders films are Art-narratives. He's known as an auteur director. My favourite is Wings Of Desire- an art narrative/romantic drama/fantasy film. I also like the American Remake City Of Angels. This I would describe as a Romantic Drama/Fantasy film. It's a bit more accessible than Wings. I've also seen An End Of Violence, Alice In Cities, The Buena Vista Social Club and Until The End Of The World. I find the women in Until The End Of The World utterly selfish and irritating with the way she treats her hubby Sam Niell in this movie.

Have you seen a picture of Charlie Chaplin? He was gorgeous! I never knew that he was from East London I thought he was American. He was born in the late 1800's.

Chaplin is amazing and yes very handsome. Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man) who is equally as handsome played him perfectly and won an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Charles in the film "Chaplin".

Some of my favorite photos of Bono during the "sweetest thing" era have a very modern chaplin vibe to them. Let me see if I can find them.

I think Bono is good at expressing himself and his own feelings really well, but I don't know if he could convincingly portray someone else; it would depend on the role and the kind of character, though.

There's also the fact that he's already well known and some people love to criticize everything he does, so whatever movie he'd be in would automatically be a target for bad reviews just because Bono's in it.

Bono will be in a comedic television role as a former rock star enjoying retirement but is persuaded to become manager to four young, inexperienced, and somewhat inept musical misfits who believe that they are meant to be one the great groups.

Based on the length of Bono's hair, and the fact that they're talking about how many copies of "The Joshua Tree" were sold, it looks like the Godfather clip was made during the "Rattle and Hum" era.

Method acting is the most difficult technique because it involves acting in different types of characters. Maybe he should play a baddie because if you are evil in films then you no matter how times you are shot, stabbed or pushed off a tall building you always survive. If his character does die in a film there's no need to worry. I hear that the maker of Night Of The Living Dead is making another sequal. He could make a cameo appearance in it!

And another thing, I nearly forgot to say. Peter Faulk who died recently and used be in Columbo was in Wings Of Desire.

Method acting is the most difficult technique because it involves acting in different types of characters. Maybe he should play a baddie because if you are evil in films then you no matter how times you are shot, stabbed or pushed off a tall building you always survive. If his character does die in a film there's no need to worry. I hear that the maker of Night Of The Living Dead is making another sequal. He could make a cameo appearance in it!

Some scenario like this? :hyper:

dancefloor_by_Scump.jpg

Back
Top Bottom