Bono & his sunglasses: Stand up for rock stars! by Neil McCormick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCOSTER

ONE love, blood, life
Bono & his sunglasses: Stand up for rock stars!
Posted By: Neil McCormick at Jan 22, 2009 at 13:56:31 [General]

"Stand up to rock stars / Napoleon in high heels / Josephine be careful / Of small men with big ideas"

That's a lyric from 'Stand Up Comedy', a ripping rock riff of a song on U2's forthcoming album, 'No Line On The Horizon'. Bono is obviously poking fun at himself and really has no need of me or anyone else to stand up for rock stars. But at the risk of sounding like a stuck record, I'd like to add something to my column today in defence of Bono.
Bono's sunglasses: creating an instantly recogisable brand

I want to raise the matter of the sunglasses. They are a constant reference point for people who seem incensed with the U2 singer's very existence, as if he were the first rock star to hide his eyes behind shades. What is it (they demand to know) with the permanent outsized wraparound sunglasses?

But the sunglasses are brilliant! What a fantastic prop. Its like Groucho Marx's painted on moustache or Charlie Chaplin's bowler hat and cane, simple items that create an instantly recognisable brand.

Its not as if he wears them at home. All he has to do is put on a pair of tinted wraparound specs and he is immediately recognisable as Bono the rock star, and not just some oddly dressed geezer who might be in the entertainment business. It is the rock and roll equivalent of putting on a tie for work.

The sunglasses started out as a joke, a way of creating his character The Fly for 'Achtung Baby' and the Zoo TV tour. The Fly was almost an Anti-Bono, a mischievous, ironic counterpoint to the U2 singer's then image of puffed up holier-than-thou sincerity. There is freedom in putting on a mask of course and The Fly released Bono's inner rock star and now the two have sort of morphed into each other. The sunglasses give him license to play the showbiz game with a twinkle of theatrical merriment.

But there is a perfectly practical reason for the sunglasses too. Bono is prone to allergies, his eyes get bloodshot, not a great look in paparazzi photos. Rather than diets or eye drops, Bono gets to disguise his mortality with a bit of tinted plastic, available in any tatty fashion store for upwards of a couple of quid.

Beneath the sunglasses, and behind the playfulness, something deadly serious lurks. "There isn't a shred of irony on all those records," Bono once admitted to me. "Its literally its just the fancy paper wrapped around, it was just packaging, putting on a show. It was fun. It was vivid. It was colour. But there was no irony there." I wonder if that is what annoys some people so much, not the razzmatazz but the lingering shadow of sincerity, idealism and seriousness of purpose?

The roots of Bono's activism lie in his Christian faith, the sense that he has to give something back in order to justify the privileges of his success. He is frequently accused of asking people to dip into their own pockets when he lives a millionaire lifestyle but, in fact, his principal approach is to lobby for political change rather than call for charity. Behind the spotlights, his personal charitable commitments are significant, and critics might be surprised at the relatively modest scale of his family lifestyle. Indeed, his real engagement with Africa started when Bono and his wife did voluntary work at an Ethiopian orphanage during the 1985 famine, where he witnessed despair and heroism that left an indelible impression upon him. Bono acts because he is compelled to.

Those who deem his African campaigns to be self-serving posturing don't seem to consider the vast commitment of time and effort it demands of him, mastering briefs, lobbying politicians, dreaming up initiatives and following them through with organisations he co-founded, including DATA (Debt Aids Trade Africa) organisation, advocacy group One and the Product (Red) commercial initiative (all of which he co-founded). He is not alone in this work, and never claims to be, but he is a globally recognised figurehead for a movement that has contributed to the cancellation of $70 billion of debt owed by poor African countries (something which has helped put upwards of 20 million more children in Africa in school) and tens of billions of dollars worth of increase in funds to fight AIDS, TV and malaria. The bottom line is that there are people alive and thriving today who might not be otherwise were it not for his intervention.

And that, alone, is reason to carry on annoying people.

Very interesting article plus I really like the lyrics mentioned from Stand Up Comedy. :yes:

"Stand up to rock stars / Napoleon in high heels / Josephine be careful / Of small men with big ideas" :up:

To me those lyrics sound like something the Beatles would write, well not really but thats what I think.

EXCELLENT!! This says it perfectly. So many people criticize him on the sunglasses and have no idea why he wears them. I especially like the part about his modest lifestyle now. Idioitic people assume that because someone has money they must by default be an arrogant person who thinks they are better than anyone else. Also one of the few articles I have seen that explains the 1985 roots of his commitment as well as how much time he spends working on the issues and learning about them. Unlike other celebrities, Bono actually takes the time to learn, forwards and backwards, the issues he is working on. I dont have to tell anyone that, all I do is refer them to former Tresaury Secretary Paul O'Neil, President Clinton, venture capitalists and health ministers who have said he knows as much about each field related to this work as do the experts.

Bono, like Edge, Adam and Larry come across as NOTHING but 4 genuine guys from Dublin. They have not changed one bit since 1976 and the best evidence of that is recent. In explaining the GOYB Dave Fanning release, they mentioned how Fanning always gets the 1st play because he had been with them since before they ever signed a record deal. That is class, and you wont find it in people as famous as U2 very often.

Yeah. I'm actually really beginning to think its very Beatles-like, after all thats what the owner of the O2 arena said about the new album last year. :)

Great article, nice to read, thanks a lot. :up:

Good to see some self irony with the new songs.

Honestly, I don't care much about Bono's sunglasses, I'm used to them by now and I realise that they are part of his image, his public persona. Though I'm getting a little tired of the red ones, I must say I'm glad he donned these Lennon shades, they were horrible.

There is a hint of the beatles in there, White Album era perhaps(my fave era), the bit where Bono sings;"you don't know how beautiful..." definitely has a 60's feel.

Haha has Neil McCormick made his entire career out of writing about U2?! You can imagine the editorial staff going "oh Neil....not another article about U2, surely!"

nice one again Neil

anyone notice though that this line from 'Stand Up Comedy' sounds(on paper) very familiar. Not long ago, a certain song from a certain band went something along the lines of..

Last of the rock stars'/when hip hop drove the Big Cars/in the time of new media/it was the 'Big idea'

compare

Stand up to rock stars / Napoleon in high heels / Josephine be careful / Of small men with big ideas"

seem a bit unusual or coincidental but hey, I'm sure it wont sound anything like it

Bring on the new album

I personally strongly dislike the glasses, always have (except for The Fly which was a totally different thing). I think that, frankly, he looks silly with them and it does make him look unsincere and pretentious, while to me he seems to be such an honest, genuine, and open-hearted person. In fact I'm convinced there would be a good deal less 'Bono bashing' around he if wasn't wearing those stupid shades all the time!

To me eyes are the windows to the soul, and I don't like when I'm talking with someone and cannot look at them in the eye. I hated the fact that Bono kept his shades during almost the entire show during the Vertigo Tour (as opposed to Elevation), I feel a much stronger connection with him when he is not wearing them.

Apart from that, great article, as for one I fully support Bono's humanitarian/political work and I'm constantly shocked by how many people snear at it in such a cynical, and often quite ignorant way, including many U2 fans. I've been following closely for a while and I now work in the international development field, and you cannot underestimate the amount of influence he has had, directly or indirectly. Those who say there is no point or no results to what he is doing literally have no idea what they are talking about.

Keep it up Bono :up: (but please get rid of the glasses :wink:)

Thank you for posting this article. It was an interesting read. Personally, I like Bono's shades and I understand why he wears them. My blue eyes are also light sensitive. :wave:

There is a hint of the beatles in there, White Album era perhaps(my fave era), the bit where Bono sings;"you don't know how beautiful..." definitely has a 60's feel.

Beach clip 5 (Crazy Tonight) has a 60's Abbey Road/Phil Spector style to it. The album is supposed to have a dreamy atmosphere.

I think Bono looks totally vulnerable without his glasses. There's something he doesn't want people to see. Wearing the glasses is part of his rockstar persona. It's telling that in certain songs during Vertigo he took off the shades. But I guess his eyes are much more sensitive to light than they were years ago. The worst thing are the lights that come out of the darkness, by night, not so much the sunlight on a bright day. I know that, I have very light blue eyes as well and struggle with bloodshot and red eyes most of the time, especially in the evening with artificial light. Sun on snow is the worst thing.

I think it's nice that Neil is defending his friend, but it's a rather lightweight, boring, and somewhat suspect topic, given that it's written on the verge of another massive U2 campaign. Who really cares about his sunglasses?

Back
Top Bottom