Bono and his incessant/inane chatter during concerts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because Bono was young and naive then. U2's fan base was similarly (on average) younger and more naive. The two were aligned.

But as people grow up, they just want to hear the music without the sense they are being preached to. People change.

This attitude is absurd and condescending. Go to any protest and you'll see that all age groups are present.

U2 are an activist rock band, they always have been and always will be. People who allow their belief that the world can and must be better to be eroded by cynicism and apathy need not go to U2 concerts. Or maybe they NEED to go see U2 to be reminded about certain things that they might not normally think about.

He was always a capitalist who thought his goals could be accomplished by working in the system.

He should have realized by now that the problems he is concerned with are caused by the system he works within. There's a bit of cognitive dissonance there.

after reading a few posts, there seems to be some talk that myself and others who are annoyed with bono think that he/they should be less political.

not at all the case, at least at my end. i'm happy they're political. i just don't need shout outs to ted cruz, etc. and senseless chitchat that make bono sound more senile than his age warrants

Because Bono was young and naive then. U2's fan base was similarly (on average) younger and more naive. The two were aligned.

But as people grow up, they just want to hear the music without the sense they are being preached to. People change.

I think this is more you just projecting your own thoughts onto the people.

Bono's talking

I like Bono's talks between songs. I think he kept it mostly to a minimum this time around. He's a very well-read person who talks to a lot of influential people. I've always found that I can learn a lot from him if I listen with an open mind.

I like Bono being political, he just used to be more direct, and weave it into the show better than he does now. The on screen messaging also used to be delivered better.

Looking at ZooTV, the transformation of the burning cross during bullet, or the brief speech by MLK at the end of pride were powerful before transitioning into the next song.

An intermission during the Elevation show where a little girl grabs a hand gun, puts it to her mouth, and as you are about to hear the gunshot, the screen switches to Charlton Heston promoting guns in America. What a powerful anti-gun law statement that was.

It seems as they have gotten older there are more frequent and longer breaks between songs, and during these breaks he rambles a bit too much, taking a long time to get to the point, a bit like this post really.

I like Bono being political, he just used to be more direct, and weave it into the show better than he does now. The on screen messaging also used to be delivered better.

Looking at ZooTV, the transformation of the burning cross during bullet, or the brief speech by MLK at the end of pride were powerful before transitioning into the next song.

An intermission during the Elevation show where a little girl grabs a hand gun, puts it to her mouth, and as you are about to hear the gunshot, the screen switches to Charlton Heston promoting guns in America. What a powerful anti-gun law statement that was.

It seems as they have gotten older there are more frequent and longer breaks between songs, and during these breaks he rambles a bit too much, taking a long time to get to the point, a bit like this post really.

Ha, yep. I'm tired of him trying to pander to all sides in a weak attempt at inclusivity. We all know he thinks the likes of Cruz and Trump are flying fucking nincompoops, so go on, say it. In years gone by he didn't give two shits about offending Republicans in the audience, whether it was heckling Reagan in the eighties or prank-calling H.W. Bush on ZooTV. Now he wastes too much time on blather that, if the reaction of Republicans on here and Twitter is any gauge, offends them anyway. That party has become so extremist that there is no pleasing its lunatic fans short of a parade of Luminous Pepes. So fuck them, if a call to find common ground and a plea to respect the humanity and rights of refugees and women is too much for their twisted morality. Call them out in the pithy, fiery ways of the past instead. At least that could be entertaining.

Ha, yep. I'm tired of him trying to pander to all sides in a weak attempt at inclusivity. We all know he thinks the likes of Cruz and Trump are flying fucking nincompoops, so go on, say it. In years gone by he didn't give two shits about offending Republicans in the audience, whether it was heckling Reagan in the eighties or prank-calling H.W. Bush on ZooTV. Now he wastes too much time on blather that, if the reaction of Republicans on here and Twitter is any gauge, offends them anyway. That party has become so extremist that there is no pleasing its lunatic fans short of a parade of Luminous Pepes. So fuck them, if a call to find common ground and a plea to respect the humanity and rights of refugees and women is too much for their twisted morality. Call them out in the pithy, fiery ways of the past instead. At least that could be entertaining.

Their descent into political blandness parallels their descent into musical blandness.

While I still applaud his efforts to appeal to both sides (I really do believe it provides at least a willingness from the other side to cooperate, rather than the continual intransigence of pure political ideology), I was actually surprised by the amount of people upset by Bono at the Tampa show (yeah, i caved and checked out the U2 Facebook post regarding that stop. immediate regret). Leaving the concert, I couldn't understand how anyone would walk away from the show completely enraged by Bono's talk of... tolerance, I guess? I know, I'm being a tad flippant, and I'm sure the band's "Exit" performance is what set them off... but good god, if anything, it really alarmed me that Trump, for his constant cavalcade of controversial shit and total incompetence in holding public office, has a much bigger fan following than I expected (I mean, he obviously has his supporters, but I didn't expect so many to be so devout).

as a staunch independent who leans mostly left, I will tell you that for me at least the disappointment with this tour has nothing to do with typical left versus right issues. I expect B to be righteous and indignant about the causes for which he cares and invests his time. In fact, that's the best of what the band used to be - channeling the anger and rage.

Now we get nightly Hollywood fellatio and Nancy Pelosi call outs. How very rock and roll.

Just stay the fuck out of the constant US domestic political stuff please. And telling people in the U.S. who did not vote the way he wanted that they are still welcome at the show? Fuck off.

Take that crap to Europe and down under. Let's see how well it goes off.

Last edited:
While I still applaud his efforts to appeal to both sides (I really do believe it provides at least a willingness from the other side to cooperate, rather than the continual intransigence of pure political ideology), I was actually surprised by the amount of people upset by Bono at the Tampa show (yeah, i caved and checked out the U2 Facebook post regarding that stop. immediate regret). Leaving the concert, I couldn't understand how anyone would walk away from the show completely enraged by Bono's talk of... tolerance, I guess? I know, I'm being a tad flippant, and I'm sure the band's "Exit" performance is what set them off... but good god, if anything, it really alarmed me that Trump, for his constant cavalcade of controversial shit and total incompetence in holding public office, has a much bigger fan following than I expected (I mean, he obviously has his supporters, but I didn't expect so many to be so devout).
Diversity in political views within the fanbase drives this kind of reaction or the acceptability towards Bono's views regarding the current political climate and so forth.

The chatter about heroin addiction most of time when Bad or Running To Stand Still is played is getting old too. Most fans know that both songs are about heroin, however most non-fans or people don't associate those two masterpieces with drug addiction.

Some people can be sensitive towards that topic too, just like they are with politics, Trump, etc. etc. Diversity is the killer.

As an American, I find Bono's ass-kissing of America to be extremely cringeworthy.

It's like you have this friend; he's usually a pretty cool dude. But then he meets this girl that he really likes, she agrees to go on a couple dates with him, and then he expresses his undying love for her, smothers her with affection and attention, showering her with compliments, gifts, and just overdoing it in every way. And you're watching this, thinking "Damn, man, ease up... just be a dude...".

It actually wasn't too bad at the Cleveland show, most of the audience just kind of glazed over it in with a haze of patriotism. It seemed much worse and cringeworthy at the I&E show I saw.

Agreed.

He should have told them to go fuck off.

he certainly could have, lord knows there are enough sycophantic bleeding hearts who will show up to cheer on their hero, no matter how cringe inducing it gets.

that, plus the over-represented majority of fans who have not seen U2 since the 80s, who are the reason for this tour in the first place...

fan boys please insert technical/pedantic disagreement here: [___].

he certainly could have, lord knows there are enough sycophantic bleeding hearts who will show up to cheer on their hero, no matter how cringe inducing it gets.

that, plus the over-represented majority of fans who have not seen U2 since the 80s, who are the reason for this tour in the first place...

fan boys please insert technical/pedantic disagreement here: [___].

hey oregoropa, why did you suddenly stop posting on reddit a little over a month ago? :hmm:

edit: oops, got my previously-perma-banned-pretending-to-be-new users mixed up. you're the other one, my bad.

Last edited:
I'm just stopping by to say that I have never, ever had a problem with whatever Bono has said during a performance. It has never detracted from a concert at all. If he wants to randomly namedrop Betty Crocker or Aunt Jemima, I wouldn't give a rat's ass. I'm definitely not one of those folks who shouts "shut the fuck up and sing". I'm one of those wackos who actually wants to hear what he has to say.

name your issue, I'll tell you where I stand. I'm an adult like that.

Now - back to accusing me of being someone else - hilarious! (or as you say - Teeheehee.)

Well, let's see... you've also claimed you were a progressive, yet you seem to get upset at any mention that the band has towards Trump, even pretending they've never done that in the past. Now that coupled with your misogyny, makes these claims very suspect :shrug:

name your issue, I'll tell you where I stand. I'm an adult like that.

Now - back to accusing me of being someone else - hilarious! (or as you say - Teeheehee.)

oh wait, now that i can see the avatar i definitely was right the first time. i always get you and bloodysunday's new alters mixed up, oreg.

Didn't Bono also criticized George Bush during the Vertigo Tour era? And dropped several tiny rants of him throughout several shows too?

He didn't fight with Obama from the beginning, heck Barack even picked COBL as the main song for his campaign, the inauguration concert and whatnot. This proves Bono is a right-wing democratic, and saying the left winged are welcomed to the show when he's ranting about Trump now makes him a hypocrite.

But whatever, we all love him, regardless of his misguided chatter.

That's true love, going through the fire despite the person's faults :cute:

Didn't Bono also criticized George Bush during the Vertigo Tour era? And dropped several tiny rants of him throughout several shows too?

He didn't fight with Obama from the beginning, heck Barack even picked COBL as the main song for his campaign, the inauguration concert and whatnot. This proves Bono is a right-wing democratic, and saying the left winged are welcomed to the show when he's ranting about Trump now makes him a hypocrite.

But whatever, we all love him, regardless of his misguided chatter.

That's true love, going through the fire despite the person's faults :cute:

Do you do this on purpose?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom