Bono and His Donations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono stole my wallet one time in Lily's. I also saw him taking cigarettes from a bum. :sad:

It's okay though, because I'm sure he donated both the contents of your wallet and the cigarettes. :up:

I have never understood the argument that (insert name of rich/famous person) is a douchebag-hypocrite because he/she is trying to help the poor, but is rich him/herself.

It's like saying the boss of the company cannot help the workers by giving them a higher salary or better working conditions because he/she is the boss. Doesn't add up.

I have always firmly believed that economic change in a society always comes from the top (the haves) down (to the have-nots). Occasionally, such change is initiated by bloody revolutions that cause fear in the 'haves', but that's extremely rare. Those who have money have power; those who don't, don't. (It's often the opposite in the arts, of course, where the poor often have the initiative and the influence, and the rich have none.)

In my opinion, it is the duty and responsibility of the rich to help the poor. Such people who do so should be silently applauded.

Whether or not Bono's activism of choice (goodwill towards African states from Western organizations) is a good idea or not is, however, debatable. But either way, the rich are always to be commended for lifting their fingers to help the poor. But silently commended. I think Bono would do himself more favors by refusing to appear at awards-ceremonies or on magazine covers for charitable causes. I'm not saying he should be invisible -- his celebrity is obviously his currency -- but I think he should carefully avoid allowing the media to show him taking credit for anything.

It's a priority "rule" of most churches that when tithing or donating money, the person should do it silently and without the knowledge of others, lest you appear or become self-serving in your charity.

It's a priority "rule" of most churches that when tithing or donating money, the person should do it silently and without the knowledge of others, lest you appear or become self-serving in your charity.

And that is exactly what Bono has done, when it comes to his donations, as we never see anything concerning them in the media or elsewhere, and yes, without our knowledge.

I have never understood the argument that (insert name of rich/famous person) is a douchebag-hypocrite because he/she is trying to help the poor, but is rich him/herself.

It's like saying the boss of the company cannot help the workers by giving them a higher salary or better working conditions because he/she is the boss. Doesn't add up.

I think Bono would do himself more favors by refusing to appear at awards-ceremonies or on magazine covers for charitable causes. I'm not saying he should be invisible -- his celebrity is obviously his currency -- but I think he should carefully avoid allowing the media to show him taking credit for anything.

I agree with you and it bothers me all those people who think that any famos/rich person pretends to be activists because they dress on expensive clothes, with pieces of jewelry and so on.....
And regarding the appearances, well...is his choice. I don´t care about that.

Back
Top Bottom