Bono and Herbert Groenemeyer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

last unicorn

Blue Crack Addict
Bono recorded the song "Mensch" (English: "Man") with German singer Herbert Groenemeyer for Groenemeyers new album "I walk" which will be released later this week. It is the first English album of the German superstar who's been living in London for many years now. Some may remember that Bono appeared on stage with Groenemeyer during the 2007 P8 concert which took place in the German city of Rostock during the G8 summit. I was at that show. Bono came on stage during "Mensch" and sang the song with Groenemeyer in German. It sounded more funny than anything, but it was considered a nice gesture. I love Groenemeyers work, but I really cannot get used to him singing in English, it sounds very strange to my ears. "Mensch" is a very personal song that he wrote after his wife had died from cancer some years ago. It's a great song, but the English version, IMO, isn't this great.

Now the full-length audio of the album version has been uploaded, here's the link:

Mensch - Herbert Grönemeyer featuring Bono by U2News on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

OK, I should have stated clearly that this is a NEW recording, the only real new Bono vocals we've had for some time.

hmmm

makes you realise how lovely B-mans vocals are :D

the sound cloud file reached its downloaded limit. can anyone pm me or email a link for the mp3? kind of a cool song.

21 August in Potsdam near Berlin. Bono came on as suprise guest during the Groenemeyer show and it was filmed for his recently released concert DVD "I Walk".

I didn't know he was a singer, but his label is great and pretty cheap to order from. If I recall correctly , I got Harmonia and Eno 76 on vinyl for around $20 Canadian.

Origin

The label was founded by German actor and singer Herbert Grönemeyer in connection with an eight-CD box set called Pop 2000. The CD box set[1] and its companion TV series[2] were designed to document music culture in Germany over the course of the 20th century and featured artists such as Neu!, Faust, Kraftwerk, The Notwist and Mouse on Mars.[3]
Philosophy

Grönland’s philosophy is that business decisions should be influenced not by marketing strategies, but by the musician and his craft. Without sacrificing attention to the economic aspects of the label’s survival, Grönland, with its small staff and optimal structure, is committed to providing an environment where art and music are free to grow, and to giving full support and attention to its musicians on a level rarely seen in larger record companies. Consequently, Grönland only signs a maximum of six to eight bands and projects per year.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grönland_Records#cite_note-aboutgronland-2.10.07-3
http://groenland.com/en/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grönland_Records#cite_note-aboutgronland-2.10.07-3
Bono's voice is a husk of what it was! If he doesn't drastically change his singing style and retire many or their songs or rearrange them U2 should pack it in.

I don't see much difference between his singing here in this video and his singing on the 360 tour. His voice has been in great shape in recent years. He will NEVER get his old voice back and it's good that way. People who think this are fooling themselves. IMO, Bono's voice has improved a lot in recent years ans is much better now than it was around 2000 plus he's learned some technique.

I'm not a fan of Herbert singing in English and I honestly don't think the English version of "Mensch" is doing the original justice, because it's a very profound song. It's kind of logical that he's duetting with Bono here since they have already performed this song together live, but I wish he wouldn't have recorded an English album. His English isn't very good and the translation is kind of ackward, and I truly believe his songs lose much of their meaning when translated. However, besides that, I think Bono does a good job here and I like the way they are harmonising together in the end.

Indeed.

The last record and tour had horrid singing.

Typical U2 fan's response.

I say "If he doesn't drastically change his singing style and retire many or their songs or rearrange them U2 should pack it in," and you only see "U2 should pack it in."

His singing is weak now; he can't pull off a lot of the older material. His voice has lost power and range. He was only a good singer during the late 80s/early 90s, but before that his voice had a richness that it now lacks.

I don't see much difference between his singing here in this video and his singing on the 360 tour. His voice has been in great shape in recent years. He will NEVER get his old voice back and it's good that way. People who think this are fooling themselves. IMO, Bono's voice has improved a lot in recent years ans is much better now than it was around 2000 plus he's learned some technique.

Exactly, his voice on 360 and now is a pale shade of what it was, and I don't see how that's a good thing. He's lost power and range, and those are what defined him as a singer. He's picked up technique, but needs to adapt to his limitations. Of course, the best way to make up for a not-very-good singer is to have really good, interesting music. Bono's voice isn't good enough to carry the band any more. That being said, they're more of a hobby than a band, so who gives a shit what they do. There's other music out there, too much to waste time talking about a once great band that has slid into mediocrity, and who I rarely ever listen to anymore.

At with that I say goodbye to you all!

Back
Top Bottom