Bono and Edge play with BB King: When love comes to town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check out bono in the other song "Let the good times roll." Any chance he's dropping a hint there about album news in November? It's not the lyrics of the song as far as I know. Other possibilities?

I'm absolutely shocked at how little attention this is getting on here..... given how little U2 we've been getting in terms of performances, they play a fairly popular song for the first time in 20+ years, WITH BB King like it used to always be....and this is it? Not complaining, just thought I'd mention it...interesting :hmm:

It was HUGE Rob, and I do know what you mean. I guess everyone is really focused on (and tired of waiting for) the new album. Also since it wasn't all of U2, missing Larry and Adam maybe that's why a bigger deal wasn't made. But for those of us that were there that night I know it was and unbelievable experience. I felt like I was in a dream afterwards :heart:

I'm absolutely shocked at how little attention this is getting on here..... given how little U2 we've been getting in terms of performances, they play a fairly popular song for the first time in 20+ years, WITH BB King like it used to always be....and this is it? Not complaining, just thought I'd mention it...interesting :hmm:

Maybe it's because he sang a 20 year old song and his voice is incredible today as it was when he first sang it.
The ones who like to complain are stunned into silence.

Maybe it's because he sang a 20 year old song and his voice is incredible today as it was when he first sang it.
The ones who like to complain are stunned into silence.

hahaha....possibly...I must say I was pretty stunned myself when I heard Bono kick that song off with the "yeeeeaaaah yeah yeah yeahhh" ....it was an explosion of awesomeness to say the least :)

but yeah, as BC pointed out, Adam and especially Larry were really missed in terms of quality of performance....

Yup bono sounds awesome here. btw, in the other performance, Let the good times roll, bono belts these amazing high notes at 2 min 47 sec in. see video posted above.

I think it was around 00-01 when Bono said that smoking had stop Bono from fly as a singer, well he definitly fly as a singer these days. He also seems to have much more pitch in his voice on this performence.

Yup bono sounds awesome here. btw, in the other performance, Let the good times roll, bono belts these amazing high notes at 2 min 47 sec in. see video posted above.

oh SHIT...haha, I remember that very clearly now that I watch that vid...that is so beautiful and powerful right there....let's face it....Bono is going to fucking own on the new record....I caaaaaaaaaan't waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttt anyyyy looonnnngerrrrrr :waiting:

The strongest "let the good times roll" is amazing. Bono hasnt done that with his voice since the 80s, he realy fly with his voice. Alot of pitch in his voice, its strange that he can sound so young when he is 48 years old.

When is this performence going to be aired, can't wait.

The strongest "let the good times roll" is amazing. Bono hasnt done that with his voice since the 80s, he realy fly with his voice. Alot of pitch in his voice, its strange that he can sound so young when he is 48 years old.

When is this performence going to be aired, can't wait.

2:52 in this clip
YouTube - Bono, The Edge and BB King 2008

Reminds me of the sound he got in the verse "Seems To Vanish In The haze" in time 1:25 in this clip:
YouTube - U2 - Help (Amnesty International 1986)

This is all nice and well, but keep in mind this and Union Chapel are a one-time event. A 100+ date tour will be the real test of what he can do with the vocals.

Obviously, his voice is sensitive and tires easily. It can very well be that during the tour, he will have his bad days again, vocally. I don't know if or how he can work at that and what could possibly help him, apart from NOT singing so many concerts in a row. Bono has a very good voice right now, the quality of his voice says nothing about how much stress his voice can handle on a longer tour. Other singers might have less problems with that, but Bono clearly has the disadvantage of having a voice that is easily affected by several factors. I'm a little scared to think about him over-stressing his voice again. Right now it's great and I'm sure we will hear this voice on the album. The tour is another thing.

I think that not doing too many back to back nights might be the best way to stay strong throughout a long grueling tour. That said, I thought he sounded remarkably consistent overall on the Vertigo tour more than any other recent tour so maybe he's got this thing down pat now.

Yeah, in that clip he really does hit a Bono from the late 80's note. But I can't imagine him doing that all the time. But it's good to know he's still capable I guess.

I think Bono is quite often more than capable of hitting notes he's done in the past (these days), but the difference is now it takes more to get there. For example hitting a note he could hit in the 80's can sometimes be quite demanding on his voice and thus it tires more easily. This is why I think he doesn't always go for those particular notes (he doesn't want to tire his voice out too much in trying to hit it) and is also why you see him hitting those notes in a different way.

I don't know. I think he sounds the same as he did during the Vertigo tour:shrug:

Still sounds good but I don't think he's any better.

Obviously, his voice is sensitive and tires easily. It can very well be that during the tour, he will have his bad days again, vocally. I don't know if or how he can work at that and what could possibly help him, apart from NOT singing so many concerts in a row. Bono has a very good voice right now, the quality of his voice says nothing about how much stress his voice can handle on a longer tour. Other singers might have less problems with that, but Bono clearly has the disadvantage of having a voice that is easily affected by several factors. I'm a little scared to think about him over-stressing his voice again. Right now it's great and I'm sure we will hear this voice on the album. The tour is another thing.

The same talk was before Vertigo tour, people thought that his voice only would be strong on the 1st and 2nd leg. The thing was that his voice got stronger for each week, stood still abit on 2nd leg(outdoor is a bit troublesome for singers, allergy, air...), 3rd leg was stronger than both 1st and 2nd leg. He pushed his voice alot on alot on the shows.
4th leg he was a bit tired, but only in his low voice, he hit the high notes easily without problems.
Seven months rest(well not a big rest, they where recording alot here) and the 5th leg began, and his voice was much stronger then any of the other legs from the same tour.
Also he hasnt rest much under 2007-2008, alot of studio work and speeches and his voice has contunie to devolope and get stronger.
And was suprise me most is that on every ONE NIGHT performence(tv, events...) he has done before 2007 has always been a bit shaky/weak.
But Mandela, Union and the last one his voice is amazing strong.

The key to all this might be that never stopped sing, it is just like if you stop exercise your muscles will be smaller...
He also have done alot of training and also use alot of song techniques.

I just listened to it - it's not great quality, but it'll suffice until something better comes along.

Back
Top Bottom