Biggest WTF reactions to your favourite U2 songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You, uh... have a file of member quotes?

I haven't update it in years, but yes I was a bored nerdy teenager with a thing for collecting data. :wink: it's not a miracle I ended up as a scientist.

Most quotes are from around 2005-2008 ish and contain funny quotes, flamewars or just generally moronic statements. And the Bomb and Vertigo leak threads just had to be saved for infinity. :wink:

:scream: Just checked, and the links are all from old interference format... this blows. :sad: They don't work anymore...

I could fix them, that would take a while... since now the thread link layout is different, I'd have to find the basic thread layout of the threads, and get to the post number that way.. bah, this sucks. I seriously had 7 pages of links to hilarious posts. And now it's all gone. :crack:

weird, some threads do have the new layout (thread title in the link, then the thread number), yet they don't work either. :scratch: has stuff been re archived?

A very good friend of mine once described my favorite U2 song, Streets, as "bland." I'm still mad at him.

That's hilarious. Bland???

This is not a particular song reaction, but my biggest WTF is when people say, Oh, I really loved U2 back in ____ period. But then they have no willingness at all to explore more recent work, not a bit of curiosity. I don't get it!

This board always tearing up on One Step Closer and White As Snow. People say that they're boring and go nowhere.
Both beautiful and brilliant songs imo. Two of my favorite U2 songs of all time; they remind me of Running To Stand Still, which is in my top 3 favorite songs of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

People saying they sound like Coldplay or that Elevation, Get on your boots and Vertigo suck...
I want to share a story with you: years ago I was on the bus going home from work and a couple of girls (like 15-16 years old or so) were sitting not so far from me. They were talking about the music they liked so first they started asking each other about some singers/djs that last one season then a few legends:

A: do you like Queen?
B: those who sang We are the champions? yeah but don't know their repertoire, for sure nothing much interesting
(me)::doh::coocoo:
A:Yeah, I guess so...and REM?
B: who? never heard of them?
A: me too actually but my brother introduced me to their music...
(me): :eyebrow::shame:
A: and what about U2?
B: yeah, those who were in the Tomb Raider soundtrack? I like them but that's the only song I know.
A: Yeah, me too.
(me): :sad::censored::shocked:

that was sure my biggest wtf moment - I know they were very young but seriously...not knowing even a masterpiece like One? :fist:

This board always tearing up on One Step Closer and White As Snow. People say that they're boring and go nowhere.
Both beautiful and brilliant songs imo. Two of my favorite U2 songs of all time; they remind me of Running To Stand Still, which is in my top 3 favorite songs of all time.

I always liked One Step Closer myself, but I thought a good portion of the board was always into White as Snow? It being ambient, 'different', and all...

Personally, I never got into it, but that's just me.

People saying they sound like Coldplay or that Elevation, Get on your boots and Vertigo suck...
I want to share a story with you: years ago I was on the bus going home from work and a couple of girls (like 15-16 years old or so) were sitting not so far from me. They were talking about the music they liked so first they started asking each other about some singers/djs that last one season then a few legends:

A: do you like Queen?
B: those who sang We are the champions? yeah but don't know their repertoire, for sure nothing much interesting
(me)::doh::coocoo:
A:Yeah, I guess so...and REM?
B: who? never heard of them?
A: me too actually but my brother introduced me to their music...
(me): :eyebrow::shame:
A: and what about U2?
B: yeah, those who were in the Tomb Raider soundtrack? I like them but that's the only song I know.
A: Yeah, me too.
(me): :sad::censored::shocked:

that was sure my biggest wtf moment - I know they were very young but seriously...not knowing even a masterpiece like One? :fist:

It makes me feel old, but sometimes I realize that I actually am:

When I think of the 80's teenager me, even though I was interested and liked "old" bands (60's and 70's), I remember how I thought of some really old songs that had been there for what it seems forever, some "classic" "legendary" tracks: Money, Stairway to Heaven, Hotel California, you know, really old stuff.

Vertigo and Beautiful Day are for today's teenagers as old as Hotel California and Stairway to Heaven were for me. :sad:
...I'm not even thinking about Achtung Baby or Unforgettable Fire... (that's Elvis Presley old).

(I remember listening for the first time the Hotel California "new" version -live- I guess in the early 90's... "wow! that's a classic! that's a prehistorical song!"... just like U2 playing Beautiful Day today...)

I totally get your point and I agree but as you said at least you knew some songs even if 'prehistorical'...these girls knew them only because of Lara Croft and that's it.

I totally get your point and I agree but as you said at least you knew some songs even if 'prehistorical'...these girls knew them only because of Lara Croft and that's it.

Yeah, I'm not justifying them, just commenting on your post, just trying to imagine what was going on in their heads; also, I was really into "rock"... I imagine someone who was into Michael Jackson, Madonna or Wham (or whoever country music star back then) wouldn't know or care about something Pink Floyd did 10 years before.

(Also, I'm more upset/shocked when people with "rock" backgrounds disses U2 than when they're people who are into different pop genres).

On a side note, the way you wrote it sounded to me as if girl A really liked all those bands but then had to pretend she didn't just to fit in with girl B :D

And I was commenting back :D
Maybe it's because English is not my first language, sorry for that! I got the idea they were new friends or something like that and were just getting to know each other... I almost kind of wished she was pretending but both didn't have a clue who those people were :huh:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I love White As Snow. I don't understand why it gets shit on so much, but I do understand the hate for Grace.

" I think U2 is a good band.. But it could have been so much better if he (Bono) didn't scream so much.
I like ordinary love because it finally is a song on which he doesn't scream"

-lesigh-

Back
Top Bottom