Best Song Survivor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
So I think that I, after suffering a bout of insanity ( :wink: ), have decided that I will start a Best Song Survivor poll series soon. I will pretty much follow the work of Axver from his last Survivor, as outlined here:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/best-song-survivor-boy-round-i-192763.html

(Seriously, Ax, thanks for making that so detailed, so that I have to think less.)

However, I will make a few changes. First of all, One and Where the Streets Have No Name will be included. Second of all, Original Soundtracks 1 and No Line on the Horizon will be included as albums. Third of all, the number of songs that each album gets in finals will be determined by a Best Album Survivor poll instead of a Worst Album Survivor poll (both were run last time, but I only want to run one this time, and I figure it's best to keep the polling methodology consistent).

I will probably use the same list of songs that Axver used last time, as opposed to that of the Rate the Song Series, which would probably be way too big for this. Like the Rate the Song Series, however, I would like to set this official policy: based on whatever criteria you think give you the best overall impression of the overall song, not just on officially released studio versions (unless you'd like to just vote on those, of course).

Sound good? If so, I'll probably start album voting soon.

I'm kinda gobsmacked that someone would make a "best U2 song" poll and exclude "Where The Streets Have No Name" and "One."

Why?

Does sound good, though I'd like it to be sans-Streets, as I think we all know it all win, and the opinion of One seems to have dropped off significantly around here. Damn that Hive Mind.

I'm kinda gobsmacked that someone would make a "best U2 song" poll and exclude "Where The Streets Have No Name" and "One."

Why?
The original motivation was assumption that they would win, and thus desire to have a more interesting final round, I believe.
Does sound good, though I'd like it to be sans-Streets, as I think we all know it all win, and the opinion of One seems to have dropped off significantly around here. Damn that Hive Mind.

Yeah, I'm still tempted to do it without Streets, and let Streets have 0th place. One, however, needs to be polled. It only got 34th place in Rate the Song, and 7th place with Achtung Baby. If those results held, it wouldn't break out of prelims.

You are amazing digi, going to great lengths and quite possibly going to drive yourself insane, all for the sake of our entertainment. That's sweet! :cute:

digitize said:
Yeah, I'm still tempted to do it without Streets, and let Streets have 0th place. One, however, needs to be polled. It only got 34th place in Rate the Song, and 7th place with Achtung Baby. If those results held, it wouldn't break out of prelims.

:up: Streets is a given.

You are amazing digi, going to great lengths and quite possibly going to drive yourself insane, all for the sake of our entertainment. That's sweet! :cute:

That's very nice of you. :) In all honesty, I kid about driving myself insane. I enjoy running these things.

Thanks for doing it again Digi! :D It'll be interesting to see the changes now there's been a drought in new material for ages.

Great idea indeed. I'd also include Streets. Number two is the actual winner then I guess.

cobl04 said:
Bad never gets up there. People prefer the live version. Leave em all in.

Well, they'll be allowed to vote based on their overall impression of the song in this version, so live versions could count. But that was the case with Rate the Song too, and Bad only got 6th.

I think I'm just going to open a poll on the Streets issue. I don't have strong feelings one way or another.

I think I'm just going to open a poll on the Streets issue. I don't have strong feelings one way or another.

I'm not so sure you should poll on whether you should include Streets in the poll.

Let's have a poll first to decide if you should poll to see if Streets should be included in the poll, that way we'll know for sure.

Or, you could just make an executive decision that I'm sure everyone can somehow manage to live with. :)

I'm not so sure you should poll on whether you should include Streets in the poll.

Let's have a poll first to decide if you should poll to see if Streets should be included in the poll, that way we'll know for sure.

Or, you could just make an executive decision that I'm sure everyone can somehow manage to live with. :)

I'm too indecisive to make an executive decision! So I'll make the executive decision of having the poll. :wink:

Why?

We'd run a lot of Survivors at that point with only short breaks, and whenever we'd done Best Song Survivor, One and Streets had dominated. So they were removed from that particular edition of the tournament to even up the playing field and make it a bit more interesting. Obviously now that there's been such a long gap between Survivors, I think they should be back in the fold this time.

And digitize, glad to see this back and that you're using my old format. Can't say I wasn't meticulous back then. :wink: I was quite pleased with that and think it gave the most representative outcome of any Survivor we'd run up until then, but obviously it needed a few small modifications to update it. If you want a hand running this thing, just let me know and I'll happily reprise my old duties.

Thanks, Ax. :) I think I'm good for now, but if I get really swamped, I may see if you could run a round or two for me at some point.

Maybe a survivor poll between male/female taste in the band's music could be interesting?Or maybe it has already been done.

Back
Top Bottom